Kawika Mitchell says he's in a dogfight for his job

Anybody else suprised Davis is our #1 ILB? Dude was a backup last year. All of a sudden he's our guy because he's played the 3-4?

Not surprised at all. Experience counts. If someone beats him out it tells us that maybe that person is a legitimate 3-4 ILB.

Anybody else suprised Davis is our #1 ILB? Dude was a backup last year. All of a sudden he's our guy because he's played the 3-4?

No, he started 13 games alongside D.J. Williams in Denver last year and finished with 65 solo tackles and 3.5 sacks.

http://www.nfl.com/players/andradavis/profile?id=DAV121395

He was extremely effective playing that role for them, as you'll see here:

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

Ding Ding Ding! Great answer....so many of us Bills fans get cought up with the player/flavor of the month. Last year, all the folks saying Langston Walker...then Bell then this guy or this 5th round draft pick is gonna make our O-Line great.....yeah....right. But the coach says...and his pre-draft bio says.....high-motor, never takes a play off....lives in the weight room, eat breathes and.....you get the idea. Don't believe the hype! Our O-line is the definition of a work in progress......and probably an early work. :lol:

What do you mean? We're stacking players on players....Bell; 8 starts -status: injured, Wang; rookie -status injured, Meredith; 1,2? dunno -status: healthy I guess...

Edwards is gunna play like Tom Brady this year! look out afc east!

GO BILLS!

That Mitchell would be cut was plain as day as soon as Davis was signed. This team does not pay veterans for depth. Think about the decision to cut Langston Walker rather than pay him $3 M as a back up...now the team is going to pay the same coin to Mitchell as a second stringer? Come on.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...aded&start=

No, he started 13 games alongside D.J. Williams in Denver last year and finished with 65 solo tackles and 3.5 sacks.

http://www.nfl.com/players/andradavis/profile?id=DAV121395

He was extremely effective playing that role for them, as you'll see here:

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

Good call. Let's hope you're right. Torber isn't looking too good on that list...

It didn't have John's byline but I'm assuming it's his work. And of course ESPN puts a picture of our buddy Tim Graham next to the piece.

Anyways, good stuff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?i...ce=NFLHeadlines

So, if he is involved in a "dog fight", then why doesn't everyone hate him as much as Vick? :lol:

IIRC Mitchell didplay ILB for KC when they changed to a 3-4 at one point. that said, I see mitchell probably playing SLB with Kelsay backing him up, and Maybin and Ellis fighting for WLB.

Just my $.02

EDIT: from what i read KC was 4-3 but mitchell does have experience inside. That said, Mitchell I see playing outside

No, I am not surprised davis is where he is. I thought he should have been the starter in cleveland last year.

It didn't have John's byline but I'm assuming it's his work. And of course ESPN puts a picture of our buddy Tim Graham next to the piece.

Anyways, good stuff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?i...ce=NFLHeadlines

Hope he loses that fight; can't wait for the day the Bills cut him loose. He's probably my least favorite Bill of all-time, with his annoying tweets, poor-angle tackling, short arms, and molasses-like speed.

Hope he loses that fight; can't wait for the day the Bills cut him loose. He's probably my least favorite Bill of all-time, with his annoying tweets, poor-angle tackling, short arms, and molasses-like speed.

Dumbest reason ever to hate a player. "I hate him because I choose to follow someone's else life because mine is so boring and I don't like what he writes." :lol:

Mitchell was our best pass rusher in 2008 and made the most big palys for any Bills LB since Spikes' pro bowl year. He is not ideal for a 3-4 but I like the guy and if he could start for a SB champ, if healthy, he could make an impact here.

Dumbest reason ever to hate a player. "I hate him because I choose to follow someone's else life because mine is so boring and I don't like what he writes." :devil:

Mitchell was our best pass rusher in 2008 and made the most big palys for any Bills LB since Spikes' pro bowl year. He is not ideal for a 3-4 but I like the guy and if he could start for a SB champ, if healthy, he could make an impact here.

He's awful. That's why I dislike him. It's great that he can run in a straight line at the QB when unimpeded, and had one good game against San Diego several years ago, but he takes the worst angles of any player on the team and can't cover worth anything.

And I don't subscribe to twitter or follow him; his tweets are reported on every news outlet, and the content of what he says suggests that he's not all that interested in winning, the Bills, or the fans.

I think that Gailey is putting everyone on even ground at all possitions not just QB.

I don't think Poz is far and away better than any of the LB's that we have.

I don't think Poz is about to lose his job but he has below average instincts for a LB which is just one of the factors why we faired so poorly against the run. Mitchell does have better instincts and is stronger at the point of attack. Which is probably why Poz is trying to bulk up which I think is smart. Let's face it Poz is missing half of the time anyway.

Don't be surprised if the competition for ILB turns out to be between Mitchell and Poz.

Keep in mind there are no great LB's on this team...they are all expendable.

I am hoping that some of the new talent proves to be better than than Poz and Mitchell..thats the only way we will get better.

Gailey wants all of the LB's to be able to call the plays.

It will be interesting how it shakes out.

But I think it's smart for Mitchell to realize he is in a dog fight at LB...all of the LB's should realize this.

You couldnt be more wrong about Poz.

He has tremendous instincts as run stopper, he tackles as good as Beason and Willis. He has great pass defense instincts, he has been at the top of the league in pass break ups for LB's, and if you havent noticed he has been on fire this off season. he has bulked up so that he doesn't "disappear" when attacking the line.

The competition is going to be for the back up position, unless Mitchell moves outside, which I wouldnt be surprised if we see him outside on 3rd downs.

Poz may not be the biggest ILB in the league, but he will excel in this new system. He now can play free and use his football instincts to attack the run and pass, instead of having to cover the entire middle of the field like he did in the 4-3. Having to cover for Ellison and the rest of the scrubs that played LB for this team since he joined the Bills will make any player look "mediocre".

Don't be surprised if the competition for ILB turns out to be between Mitchell and Poz.

Keep in mind there are no great LB's on this team...they are all expendable.

You make a good point. There are no difference makers either on the DL or LB positions. None of those position players can be considered essential type players. In general, they can be categorized as solid players at best. They are interchangeable with none considered to be a standout player. Players such as the LB for the 49ers, Willis and the DT for the Ravnes, Ngata, are impact players whose presence would be sorely missed if they couldn't play.