Dispelling the The Bills don't have good enough players argument

I was reading this article and came across the following:

Granted, the Bills offense line and quarterbacks did not play well last year, but the Bills were tied or led in the 4th quarter 14 games out of 16. That’s not to say the Bills could have been 14-2 last season, but what that says it that there is talent on the Bills roster.

When you take into consideration the revolving door that was our OL and the number of players we had on IR this is an absolutely INSANE statistic. If you need an argument for a rapid turn around look no further. This article is definitely worth a read http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/bills/14881

Granted, the Bills offense line and quarterbacks did not play well last year, but the Bills were tied or led in the 4th quarter 14 games out of 16. That’s not to say the Bills could have been 14-2 last season, but what that says it that there is talent on the Bills roster.

When you take into consideration the revolving door that was our OL and the number of players we had on IR this is an absolutely INSANE statistic. If you need an argument for a rapid turn around look no further. This article is definitely worth a read http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/bills/14881

That's why it completely stupid to jsut discontinue that the Bilsl will be terrible this year. It's so much a reflection on the Bills but rather the league in general. There are so few great teams and the league is mostly filled with average. The Jets very easily should have been a 7-9 or 8-8 team if the Colts and Bengals played their starters yet the almost go to the SB with some of the worst QB play ever.

Obviously as Bills fans, we have to expect the worst. But if the Bills did sneak into the playoffs (not holding my breath), it really won't be that surprising. This division is very overrated.

Every upper echelon NFL team has difference makers, particularly at the hard to find positions of QB, LT, pass rush, and NT/DT. Teams like IND, NE, SD, GB, MIN, NO, PHI, et al feature multiple players who are at or near the top at their positions.

Buffalo has some nice players here and there, but no one I'd classify as an All-Pro. They failed in the 4th quarter for several reasons, not just because DJ was their coach. From a talent perspective, they're average to bad across the field and that will remain one of the contributing factors to losing games. It's an ensemble cast with no stars in 2010.

Every upper echelon NFL team has difference makers, particularly at the hard to find positions of QB, LT, pass rush, and NT/DT. Teams like IND, NE, SD, GB, MIN, NO, PHI, et al feature multiple players who are at or near the top at their positions.

Buffalo has some nice players here and there, but no one I'd classify as an All-Pro. They failed in the 4th quarter for several reasons, not just because DJ was their coach. From a talent perspective, they're average to bad across the field and that will remain one of the contributing factors to losing games. It's an ensemble cast with no stars in 2010.

That's why you draft CJ Spiller. Additionally, McKelvin is a gamebreaker so his return should help as well.

The Bills still need more help. But as bad as you think the Bills are, they are lot closer to the middle of the pack. And once you're in the middle, who knows what can happen.

That's why you draft CJ Spiller. Additionally, McKelvin is a gamebreaker so his return should help as well.

The Bills still need more help. But as bad as you think the Bills are, they are lot closer to the middle of the pack. And once you're in the middle, who knows what can happen.

McKelvin sure is a gamebreaker

without him, the Bills would not have been "broken"in that NE game

but, hey, maybe he even starts a few games at CB this year

I do not understand why your point would dispell the argument. My understanding is that the argument is exactly the one Gailey is making that the Bills lack specific good enough players who are gamebreakers and differencemakers.

McKelvin sure is a gamebreaker

without him, the Bills would not have been "broken"in that NE game

but, hey, maybe he even starts a few games at CB this year

I agree. Just to contrast and compare, D.J. appeared to have no problem with McLuvin and even said he

supported his decision. Can you imagine if that was a Parcells' team how that little sequence of events would

have gone?

Just saying.

Or it says that they had an official policy of fighting a game-long rear guard campaign, dragging games out and hoping against hope... :thumbsup:

The Bills are still not going to be good. Our D is completely overhauled from last year and they are the ones who kept us in those games. Our front 7 was bad in 09, but we are going to be relying on a lot of later round rookies and out-of-position veterans when we are playing the 34. Our O has to improve simply because they cant get worse, and same could be said about the coaching and Run D, but that doesn tmean they will be good.

With the improvements our division has made I still dont see us sniffing 3rd place in the AFC East. The Jets are like a stacked fantasy team, the Dolphins added 2 PB caliber guys on O and D, and the Pats have had our number for 8+ years now. The Jets/Phish we hindered by young QBs, so they should mprove with those young guys.

I could see 1 or 2 wins in our division, which would leave us in last place.

Spiller, Byrd, McKelvin are game changers.

I agree. Just to contrast and compare, D.J. appeared to have no problem with McLuvin and even said he

supported his decision. Can you imagine if that was a Parcells' team how that little sequence of events would

have gone?

Just saying.

Tell me exactly how that Parcells without Belicheat thing has worked out????

Spiller, Byrd, McKelvin are game changers.

Let's wait for Spiller to play a season, Byrd to follow up his rookie season, and McKelvin to play a second full season.

And for the record, Buffalo's been weak on both the OL and DL. All of the aforementioned guys play off the line.

have gone?

Just saying.

Too many folks are on some revisionist 20/20 history redux. Nothing wrong with him bringing out the ball. The fumble was the problem. For that Parcell's would have killed him. But the decision was only seen as bad because of the fumble. He's a return man. He was right to stay aggressive. How many threads on here killed Jauron because he played not to lose games? And remember, the Bills would still have had to run out the clock with their running game. And the defense gave up two late TD passes. And the offense's last drive was terrible. It was a team collapse. Not just about the fumble.

The Bills are still not going to be good. Our D is completely overhauled from last year and they are the ones who kept us in those games. Our front 7 was bad in 09, but we are going to be relying on a lot of later round rookies and out-of-position veterans when we are playing the 34. Our O has to improve simply because they cant get worse, and same could be said about the coaching and Run D, but that doesn tmean they will be good.

With the improvements our division has made I still dont see us sniffing 3rd place in the AFC East. The Jets are like a stacked fantasy team, the Dolphins added 2 PB caliber guys on O and D, and the Pats have had our number for 8+ years now. The Jets/Phish we hindered by young QBs, so they should mprove with those young guys.

I could see 1 or 2 wins in our division, which would leave us in last place.

Dude, you don't know how the "improvements" in our division will work out. The games start in September and that is when the results will be determined. Do not assume anything. None of us know how good or bad they will be or any other team either.

Too many folks are on some revisionist 20/20 history redux. Nothing wrong with him bringing out the ball. The fumble was the problem. For that Parcell's would have killed him. But the decision was only seen as bad because of the fumble. He's a return man. He was right to stay aggressive. How many threads on here killed Jauron because he played not to lose games? And remember, the Bills would still have had to run out the clock with their running game. And the defense gave up two late TD passes. And the offense's last drive was terrible. It was a team collapse. Not just about the fumble.

because of the first fumble, McKelvin should have been benched

leaving him in the game was the coach's fault

bringing the ball out AND then fumbling it are all on McKelvin

it's hard to win in the NFL with players who make stupid decisions

there was no need to try to hit a homerun on either return at that point in the game

Seems to me that going into the 4th tied or ahead that many times and winding up doing as poorly as they did points to conditioning (physical AND mental) as much as anything. Maybe the new regime will toughen these guys up. From what has been reported, things look to be going in that direction.

If nothing else, considering the similarity in roster from last year to this year, we'll get a better indication of how much coaching plays a role in a team's success!

IMO, that particular statistic speaks more to Jauron's dedication to playing not to lose. Playing the Bills has often been like fighting an opponent who refuses to engage. Defensively they hoped to make the opponent execute long drives in hope that they would turn the ball over while offensively they played not to make the big mistake. Objective was to have results like they achieved versus the Jets and Panthers last year. Most teams weren't as accomondating. In the end though, somebody has to throw some punches and that's why teams were ususally content to wait until late to be aggressive and take charge of games.

On the whole though, the roster strength is depth. They haven't been able to translate early draft picks into franchise players, but the sheer number of high picks and the ample opportunity provided by all of the meaningless games and poor conditioning program(injuries) opened doors for a lot of players like Bryan Scott and George Wilson, who are now good enough to start on a lot of teams but will likely be backups in Buffalo. The Bills may have the most second string quality players in the NFL, unfortunately quite a few of them will be starters.

In addition, in great part due to a failure to develop and keep a lot of young veteran players in recent seasons, the roster is heavily shifted toward young players so t's entirely possible that a half dozen or more players could break out this year. If so the same roster is going to look a whole lot better in December than it does now.

Geez, get a clue. Revise this: http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/5...NE_Gamebook.pdf

You give Brady the ball on your own 31 with under 2:00 minutes left = you're in trouble.

Dude, you don't know how the "improvements" in our division will work out. The games start in September and that is when the results will be determined. Do not assume anything. None of us know how good or bad they will be or any other team either.

No, all of the Bills moves forever in the past and future won't work out. All of the division rivals moves work out splendidly.