Raleigh, NC Residents

Any "must try" restaurants?

There is a steak house on Glenwood called Sullivans. Even if you don't go for dinner (awesome quality steakhouse, quite an expensive place - think Morton's, Ruth's Chris, etc.) go have a cocktail at the bar for some phenomenal people watching. They have a drink called a knockout - basically they let pineapple marinate in vodka for a week and then serve it ice cold in a martini glass. You'll think its nothing, but drink three and then stand up to go to the restroom and you'll be wobbly.

There is a steak house on Glenwood called Sullivans. Even if you don't go for dinner (awesome quality steakhouse, quite an expensive place - think Morton's, Ruth's Chris, etc.) go have a cocktail at the bar for some phenomenal people watching. They have a drink called a knockout - basically they let pineapple marinate in vodka for a week and then serve it ice cold in a martini glass. You'll think its nothing, but drink three and then stand up to go to the restroom and you'll be wobbly.

We have a Sullivan's in Anchorage. We're regulars there. That's a pretty good recommend, though.

Heh - you rang a bell. My wife visited Sullivan's during a business trip to RTP a while back. The crowd went there, and she had a small steak - which was generous, and perfectly done. She's a seldom eater of steak, but I recall her remarking about what a nice meal and nice service they had there.

Love your sister.

Tell complete strangers.."you got a pretty mouth" :thumbsup:

,,,and "You ain't from around here are ya?"

Now, I admit it was a few years ago, but Charlotte always struck me as a soulless city, much like Atlanta, maybe worse. There were "things to do" but there was no "there" there. It seemed like a bunch of dislocated people who ended up there because the economy didn't suck as bad as it did where they came from.

At least Tobacco Road has college towns with tradition, gritty old men bars and restaurants that aren't owned by chains.

Now maybe I am mistaken. Are there old neighborhoods with character worth checking out?

I've lived here for 15 years and your assessment is dead on. I use the term "soulless" a lot along with "no pulse", the "social atmosphere" is just very stagnant here. On the bright side, it makes my vacations more interesting and enjoyable.

Any "must try" restaurants?
went to a very good thai place there about a year ago ...think it was Sawasdee but wouldn't swear to it...usually use Yelp for hints in "fureign" cities and this is most highly rated thai so it's probably where we went

I'll second the Angus Barn. My wife and I have done our anniversary there the last two years, sat at the chef's table in the wine cellar. Fabulous.

Some of our other favorite restaurants are in Durham, only about 20-40 minutes away depending where you are in Raleigh.

Magnolia

A fantastic pub with a great beer selection and not your ordinary pub fare is The Federal

From one of the reviews on yelp..

Also it's my understanding that John Edwards showed up here unexpectedly a few weeks ago and winked his way around the bar. So if you're looking for philandering senators at the nadir of their fall from grace, I guess this is as good an option as any.

I'll second the Angus Barn. My wife and I have done our anniversary there the last two years, sat at the chef's table in the wine cellar. Fabulous.

Some of our other favorite restaurants are in Durham, only about 20-40 minutes away depending where you are in Raleigh.

Magnolia

A fantastic pub with a great beer selection and not your ordinary pub fare is The Federal

From one of the reviews on yelp..

Durham restaurants are much better than Raleighs which tend to be chains. Parizade , Magnolia grill , are two. In the summer you have the ball park, and my favorite Tylers Taproom. The triangle area grows on you after a while if you like the city amenities w/o the city traffic etc. Raleighs downtown is getting better but they still pretty much roll up the sidewalks after 8 PM during the week. Which at my age is not a big problem.