OTA update

Just read the article on Buffalobills.com Link

I'm hoping there will be a video update, but who knows.

Interesting tidbits:

-Sounds like Gailey is unimpressed with the QBs. Big time.

-McKelvin is looking very good

-Easley is looking like he is going to push Hardy and Johnson. All reports on him have been impressive.

-No mention of Maybin. In fact, they had Ellis and Kelsay starting at OLB. Geez. I hope that is just a temporary solution. I'm one of the few who seems to be optimistic about Maybin's chances at OLB. But, I'm surprised Ellis is getting first team reps over him.

I think Maybin was here for rookie camp and has to set on the bench for the same reason Brohm does...they've seen those guys now they want to see what evryone else can do.

Interesting. I figured Stroud, Edwards, and Williams (at least initially) would start on the DL, Davis would start at ILB and Maybin would start at OLB, but I didn't know where Poz would play, and what they'd do with Mitchell, Kelsay, and Ellis. Looks like they want to keep Poz in the middle, along with Davis, and have Kelsay join Maybin on the outside, leaving Ellis, and most notably Mitchell, to play 2nd team defense. Also interesting to see them start Whitner at SS over Wilson.

I'd be careful about reading too much into it. Brown specifically mentioned that Mitchell was limited due to injury.

I'd be careful about reading too much into it. Brown specifically mentioned that Mitchell was limited due to injury.

Fair enough. But if he were healthy, where would be play? In place of Kelsay?

Still, to me, it's highly likely if not mostly penciled in already that opening day, barring injury, the starting ILB are going to be Poz and Davis. The front three are going to be Stroud - Troup* - Edwards.

The starting defensive backfield will be McGee -- Whitner (SS) - Byrd (FS) - McLovin

The OLB are really the only starter positions on this defense which are question marks, and if Schobel returns, which I will bet on, he will be one starter. The other, highly likely, is Maybin, but they could decide to at least start the season with Mitchell there. I think, but not sure, they want to keep Mitchell in the middle, and rotate the three.

*Unless Troup completely bombs, he will be in on early run downs and Williams, basically a co-starter, will be in on pass downs.

True. Though Steve Johnson is known as a pretty solid route runner and Evans is known as one of the better route runners in the game (or so I thought...). I have to imagine that aside from being a big knock on the QBs, it is a pretty big knock on Hardy.

I doubt it on Evans. What have we seen to say he is even average at route runing? Most of his plays come from straight out fly patterns. He can run past a CB but other than that he is not open very much.

True. Though Steve Johnson is known as a pretty solid route runner and Evans is known as one of the better route runners in the game (or so I thought...). I have to imagine that aside from being a big knock on the QBs, it is a pretty big knock on Hardy.

No he isn't. he is one of the worst for the level that he was drafted at.

Edwards comments were pretty good too - sounds like he wants to work and get better to me.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/v...1e-e3021565560b

Funny that he called out Fairchild by name (in a conversation about consistency in coordinators, to be fair). He also talked about how we run the same plays out of the same formations and it g0t pretty predictable. Sounds like Chan knows how to disguise plays and understands that certain plays can build off one another. Amen!

Trent also mentioned having one guy at the helm. Last year must have been a real clusterf...

It was nice to hear Trent say that about Gailey. The offense was too bland and too predictable. Looks like Edwards had the best showing of day 1.

IMO, (early prediction) Edwards will be the starter on Week 1, with Brohm as 2nd string and Brown as 3rd string. I can see Fitz getting the axe.

IMO, Evans is one of the best #2 WR's in the league, but as a #1 WR, he's not in the Top 20. He doesn't have the size or the physical ability to constantly shake double-teams and can't outmuscle DB's either. Evans has to rely on his speed to beat defenders.

IMO, Evans is one of the best #2 WR's in the league, but as a #1 WR, he's not in the Top 20. He doesn't have the size or the physical ability to constantly shake double-teams and can't outmuscle DB's either. Evans has to rely on his speed to beat defenders.

Oh good this again!!!

It was nice to hear Trent say that about Gailey. The offense was too bland and too predictable. Looks like Edwards had the best showing of day 1.

IMO, (early prediction) Edwards will be the starter on Week 1, with Brohm as 2nd string and Brown as 3rd string. I can see Fitz getting the axe.

I agree as well, it was so painfully obvious what the Bills were doing on offense. It seemed like they had 2 looks (3 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB or 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB). I also agree that Edwards will be the starter. I think Gailey & Nix are leaning a little towards Brohm right now, but I think Edwards will have a good pre-season and win the job then.

Still, to me, it's highly likely if not mostly penciled in already that opening day, barring injury, the starting ILB are going to be Poz and Davis. The front three are going to be Stroud - Troup* - Edwards.

The starting defensive backfield will be McGee -- Whitner (SS) - Byrd (FS) - McLovin

The OLB are really the only starter positions on this defense which are question marks, and if Schobel returns, which I will bet on, he will be one starter. The other, highly likely, is Maybin, but they could decide to at least start the season with Mitchell there. I think, but not sure, they want to keep Mitchell in the middle, and rotate the three.

*Unless Troup completely bombs, he will be in on early run downs and Williams, basically a co-starter, will be in on pass downs.

Definitely agree with you that Poz/Davis are the opening day ILBs. It's way too early to say whether Maybin makes the transition to become a viable OLB. I think he'll get every opportunity, but it would not surprise me at all to see Mitchell get the nod, given his experience actually playing LB at the NFL level. Not sure how well his skillset matches up with what you want at OLB, but then again those two positions are a gigantic question mark on this roster.