Thurman vs. Marshawn

Apologies if this has been posted before...

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2010/05/...s-dont-attract/

If only the 49ers hadn't taken Patrick Willis one spot before this guy...

The funny part is I remember a story that came out after that draft in which the 49ers offerred to flip picks with us for our 2nd round pick I think. I know it's hindsight, but that would have been a great move, with the exception of having to suffer through the A-Train for another season.

I don't understand why Thurman would criticize Marshawn. He himself had major issues with alcohol and marijuana, and now he's going after someone with the same issues?? What's the deal?

Just because Thurman's Bills team had success, it doesn't forgive his bad decisions in life. These former players need to either support this team and its success or just stop talking all together.

Thurman Thomas is and was no angel. Wasn't there a story about him rudely turning away a little boy asking for his autograph? Practice what you preach TT. Also...isn't TT a drunk? Give me a break.

I remember that story about TT. Wasn't it him and a few other players at Jim Kelly's restaurant?

I think TT is sober and has been for a few years now - maybe 6?

I don't understand why Thurman would criticize Marshawn. He himself had major issues with alcohol and marijuana, and now he's going after someone with the same issues?? What's the deal?

Just because Thurman's Bills team had success, it doesn't forgive his bad decisions in life. These former players need to either support this team and its success or just stop talking all together.

I think the point that TT is making is that when he played they won games and he was a huge part of it. I think that 95% of the people on this board would overlook any shortcoming of any player if we consistantly contended for the SB.

I love thurman Thomas always have. I was and is my favorite football player of all time. However, I don't blame Marshawn for snubbing him. I love the fact that Jim Kelly, Thurman, etc... stick around and still love the Bills but bashing current players is uncalled for. He wouldn't have liked it if it happened to him.

Thurman Thomas is and was no angel. Wasn't there a story about him rudely turning away a little boy asking for his autograph? Practice what you preach TT. Also...isn't TT a drunk? Give me a break.

Well, yeah that was the story. Actually part of the story. What you never hear about is the ending.

TT passed the kid by and he was crushed, but he didn't let that deter him. He shouted after Thurman..."Hey Big Thurman!"...Thurman stopped and looked back at the kid..."Here!" said the kid tossing Big Thurman a Coke. "Thanks kid!" said Thurman even though it was SB Sunday and he was heading to the field. As a final gesture of good will he tossed the kid his helmet.

And now you know the rest of the story.

I love thurman Thomas always have. I was and is my favorite football player of all time. However, I don't blame Marshawn for snubbing him. I love the fact that Jim Kelly, Thurman, etc... stick around and still love the Bills but bashing current players is uncalled for. He wouldn't have liked it if it happened to him.

Exactly...how do you think he'd have handled meeting OJ (pre-murderous rampage) if OJ called him an idiot in public for forgetting his helmet during the Super Bowl? Probably would snub him too.

I remember the alleged episode well. It was opening day 1994, when (in a precursor to the team's first losing season since 1987) the Bills surprisingly fell to the Jets at home. The offense couldn't get anything going against Pete Carrol's Jets, and Thurman was held in check all day long. As he was leaving the stadium he was approached by a little kid for an autograph, who asked Thurman why he had played so poorly. Thurman's alleged response was, "Because I was up f'ing your mother all night!"

I have also heard the stories about Thurmal during his younger years just like the ones about Jim Kelly and Bruce Smith......

To me its like Thurmal has gotten wiser in his old age....and the fact of the matter is he always produced on the field....to me its simple....you are a high 1st round pick but you dont do anything to try to improve your game......Thurman could pick up the blitz....Thurman could catch the ball and do something with it.....Thurman was a under 200 pound back that could carry the rock heavy carries and not go limping back to the huddle.......

Thurman was simply the better player....I pray to God Spiller is Thurman with speed

I don't understand why Thurman would criticize Marshawn.  He himself had major issues with alcohol and marijuana, and now he's going after someone with the same issues??  What's the deal?Just because Thurman's Bills team had success, it doesn't forgive his bad decisions in life.  These former players need to either support this team and its success or just stop talking all together.
But these formers Bills cared about Buffalo and winning. There are not to many current Bills you can say that about. Guys like Thurman and Kelly live and breathe Buffalo Bills like us. They can say whatever they want

I have heard alot of stories about Thurman. I actually know they are true. He used to get in fights with his now wife and she would take off. If she wasn't around Thurman would be a mess. Wouldn't eat sleep, practice and he would drink. The Bills had a guy go find his wife everytime this happened and would bring her back to him.

Thurman has his demons like everyone. If Thurman wants to say things about the Bills he should have a column like Kelly does.

On the Flip side Marshawn should take the heat that he created and rush for 1500 yards to prove that he isn't the punk people think he is.

On the Flip side Marshawn should take the heat that he created and rush for 1500 yards to prove that he isn't the punk people think he is.

You're right that the popular perception of Lynch is that he's a punk. He has done it to himself and it's too bad. Last summer he participated a free football clinic being put on by Titan Chris Henry at a park in the town I live. It got no publicity and we just happened to be in the park when it was going on. I watched Marshawn interact with people and he really seemed like a nice guy. He was especially good with the kids. I think he's a good guy,just immature. It hope he gets his act together so more people can see the good side of him.

Was it TT who said he was disrespected by current players in the lockerrom? I can't remember but I believe the rumors where that Lynch supposedly disrespected TT. I don't know if this was the start of the bad blood or as a result of TT's comments.

The Lynch situation is on the thinnest of ice and his play isn't distracting anyone.