This team is going to be better than most think

Agreed. And if one of you doom and gloomers want to crap on Ice's post, please step-up your game and stop using any G'damn references to Kool Aid. Get creative with your bitching for a change!

Then you guys need to get creative with your unsupported wild hopes and stop with the references to the number of games that we almost won. Pretty much every losing team can say the same thing. Almost winning a number of games doesn't mean that you won them. There was a reason that you lost them and the reason was that we weren't good enough to win even games that we were close in.

The same can be said of pretty much every team with a losing record. That we almost won a bunch of games so we must be better than we appeared is about as valid as arguing that you almost picked up a bunch of girls at the bar every night for the last year or so so you must be a hell of a pick up artist even though you sleep alone every night.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is better? 8 or 9 wins? do you really believe this team can win a championship without some serious upgrades at key positions? Hate to say it but 3-13 to me is better that 6-10 at least you have a chance in the draft to fix some of the past mistakes and get a freaking QB already!!!!

Yeah, I mean, it's worked out pretty well for the Rams.

I expect something in the 7-9 range, maybe 8-8, for this team. The following has already been said a few hundred times, but I agree with the thinking.

Defensively, the Bills are going with a completely different scheme. This will certainly cause problems as the players learn it. Also, although they have some 3-4 players now, they need more and better. That will take another year of the draft and free agency. I think they will be better at stopping the run, but I worry about a pass rush, and I worry about the OLBs in coverage.

Offensively, I think they will run the ball better this year. The O-line will be better but not good. Again, here, the Bills need to draft or trade for a LT next year (maybe this year). The same goes for QB unless someone on the team really steps up, the Bills will need to draft a good one next year. WR is another potential trouble spot. Frankly, I’m not sold on any of the Bills wideouts.

Special Teams should be good again. They have a great punter and great return men, too. Block and tackle well, and they should be okay.

For me, that all adds up to 7-9. Now next year, with another draft and a year of learning the schemes, the Bills could be looking at the playoffs then.

That is best case senario. I don't see that happening. I think we will win 4-6 games. Why?

DEFENSIVELY

New defensive scheme, still will not be able to stop the run and still will not put any pressure on the opposing QB. That is a recipe for losing...

OFFENSIVELY

Very weak at the QB and WR position. Offensive line that is pourous and won't be able to stop opposing rushing DE and LB. Lastly, Teams will stack the box and put 7-8 guys upfront and take away our running game. Then what... Recipe for losing...

This board is about listening to others opinions and then giving your own opinion. I don't know why so many people take offensive to differing viewpoints. That is why I love this forum.

Mike

That is best case senario. I don't see that happening. I think we will win 4-6 games. Why?

DEFENSIVELY

New defensive scheme, still will not be able to stop the run and still will not put any pressure on the opposing QB. That is a recipe for losing...

OFFENSIVELY

Very weak at the QB and WR position. Offensive line that is pourous and won't be able to stop opposing rushing DE and LB. Lastly, Teams will stack the box and put 7-8 guys upfront and take away our running game. Then what... Recipe for losing...

This board is about listening to others opinions and then giving your own opinion. I don't know why so many people take offensive to differing viewpoints. That is why I love this forum.

Mike

People just get sick up and fed with reading others pessimistic views about the upcoming season that is months away...

I should think the coaching staff will get some basic idea of how well the offense can perform after the OTAS. Let's wait until preseason hits until we proclaim the season lost, just my 2 cents. I'm hoping that the coaching staff gets a long hard look at the team and brings in any free agents they think will help before preseason.

Chan Gailey has stated he plans on instilling discipline and toughness to the team...what he doesn't realize is the Bills have been tough and disciplined more then he thinks, if they lacked anything it was proper guidance and coaching. "IF" he can deliver a proper offensive scheme utilizing mostly 3 step drop backs and misdirection plays then the team has a solid chance to be effective.

Hey, maybe this HC and GM will surprise us all and field a really great offense.

I would love to paint a "rosey" picture for the upcoming season. I just can't do it. Based on past and present behavior/actions of this organization. I find it hard to believe that you guys can paint such optimism for the upcoming season. Are you guys in denial? Look at the holes...They are "HUGE"!!!!!

Gailey is an upgrade compared to WILLIAMS, MARLARKEY, and JAURON. Is that saying much?... Gailey in my opinion doesn't have alot to work with. Guys he is not a mircle worker...

Just wanted to cut and paste what John Clyton stated about the Bills. Just one opinion and I don't think he is the "God" of football knowledge. It seems like every analyst opinion has a similiar theme. It is so difficult to be optimistic when "every" football analyst from ESPN, NFL Network, FOX Sports, etc.. says very negative things about our team. I strongly agree with their assessments. Do all you optimists just disregard what they are saying? Are all of them are incorrect? They only do this for a living... I just wish one would say something good to give me a glimmer of hope. They are beating us up to no end and we have no ammo to fire back. Every on this board just reecks of false hope. Tell me what you guys think.

Writes Clayton:

1. Buffalo Bills: No team had a greener offensive line last season than the Bills. ... All the Bills did to help the line was sign 33-year-old tackle Cornell Green.

The Bills averaged a horrible 16.1 points a game on offense and did nothing to upgrade a quarterback corps filled by Trent Edward sand Ryan Fitzpatrick. The receiving corps lost 82 catches by not re-signing Terrell Owens and Josh Reed. The only replacement was fourth-round choice Marcus Easley, leaving Lee Evans with little around him.

Owner Ralph Wilson was willing to pay a high salary for his new coach, and ended up with nice guy Chan Gailey, hardly a headliner. To make things even more challenging, the Bills switched to a 3-4 defense even though they didn't have a legitimate 3-4 outside linebacker or a nose tackle. They drafted nose tackle Torell Troup in the second round and hope that Broncos castoff Andra Davis and seldom-used Aaron Maybin can handle the tough outside linebacking jobs.

Making matters worse, the Bills' three division rivals -- the Patriots, Jets and Dolphins -- had three of the best five offseasons. With those odds against them, the Bills won't need luck to be in position to draft either Jake Locker or Andrew Luck next year

DEFENSIVELY

That's a heck of a strong statement to be making on 20 May 2010. You're basing this on...the training camp performance? The roster line up following three rounds of cuts? I just see this as overboard pessimism with no facts to back it up.

but how can it be good when we're projected to finish 30th and our qb's are the #1 worst in the league?

Projection = another way of saying "somebody's opinion."

"Conventional wisdom" (another great term) suggests the Bills weren't flashy enough in the offseason to dazzle the talking heads at ESPN. The reality, though, is they have completely turned the organization upside down. New staff, a (mostly) new front office, new schemes on both sides of the ball, and a significant number of new players who will see playing time.

Everyone gets hung up on the QB issue and the OL, which is understandable. The disappointing part is people are unwilling to use their own brains to evaluate the situation, and just blindly follow the "experts" and their projections. Buffalo didn't sign a "name" LT or QB, so they "ignored" their weaknesses. We live in a nation of sheep.

A reasonable evaluation would look at the history of success Gailey has had with "unproven" QBs and at least leave the door open for the possibility one or more of the QBs on the roster are capable of being successful.

As for the OL, Buffalo's decison-makers clearly didn't believe there was anyone available to fill the LT slot who is better than what they have on the roster, and they brought in both a capable vet (Green) and drafted a couple of prospects to provide depth. Again, it's easy to say "they don't have a proven LT -- they will suck." It requires a bit more brainpower to understand that the staff won't delude themselves into thinking they have an all-pro at the position if they don't, and we're likely to see an offensive scheme that doesn't leave players out on an island if they're not capable of handling it. Again, Gailey's history of success and competence on the offensive side of the ball entitles him at least SOME benefit of the doubt.

I don't know what to expect from the Bills this year, but they have made a TON of changes and have certainly had one of the most active offseasons in the league.

Then you guys need to get creative with your unsupported wild hopes and stop with the references to the number of games that we almost won. Pretty much every losing team can say the same thing. Almost winning a number of games doesn't mean that you won them. There was a reason that you lost them and the reason was that we weren't good enough to win even games that we were close in.

The same can be said of pretty much every team with a losing record. That we almost won a bunch of games so we must be better than we appeared is about as valid as arguing that you almost picked up a bunch of girls at the bar every night for the last year or so so you must be a hell of a pick up artist even though you sleep alone every night.

Well at least no Kool Aid reference so I'm happy to engage. I understand how you feel. The almost-winning point goes to coaching and leadership. We had the talent to come close but fell short. Coaching and leadership are changing and we are being built with big and strong and not small and fast that fades in the 4th quarter...where we lost most of our games. I'm optimistic about what is happening. Oh, and you can get lucky everynight if you had a more stable relationship........

You guys who are on the Bills bandwagon to success remember my screen name. I will remember yours as well. At the end of the season and seasons to come we will talk about what we said on this message board.

I can say "without a doubt," and "beyond a "perpondurance of the evidence" I will be correct.

Aren't you guys the same guys who were saying the same things when "Donadope," Malarky, Williams, Marv Levy the GM, and Juaron were hired???????? Be honest...You guys have bee saying the same f...ing thing for 10 years and counting. I am tired of hearing it! Wake the "F" up and stop believing each others lies and better yet the front office lies.. Why are you so afraid to hold this organization accountable for there 10 year debacle? What were you guys saying when we signed Terrel OWENS? Be honest...Now maybe you can see where I am coming from. Get your heads outta of your butts!!!!!

Bottom line is this team is going to STINK and I mean STINK this year and mostly likely many years to come. We don't have the players!!!! All your optimism is based on what ifs and hopeful thinking...Chan can do this and do that. He doesn't have the horses guys and thats the bottom line. Compare any Bills players with any other team and tell me who is a standout outstanding player? Perhaps Lee Evans, (who isn't utilized because our QB, OL and other WR suck) Fred Jackson, Brian Moreman, and Jauris Byrd. Just look yourself in the mirror and examine yourself and this team objectively not subjectively! You will have no choice but to admit this year and next year the Bills will be NFL bottom dweelers/feeders.

I HAVE TEN YEARS OF FACT BACKING UP WHAT I SAY. WHAT DO YOU GUYS HAVE????/A DREAM, A VISION, A HOPE WHAT A JOKE....

Now, let the hate mail begin.

Mike a Bills lover forever.

The Clayton quote posted above makes some good points. Despite that I still think the offense will be improved only because Gailey has shown he can get decent results out of very little. He should be able to find a way to make the couple bright spots we have productive while hiding the weaknesses and no matter what he has to be better than Jauron.

However the defense will likely struggle, especially the first half of the season. It is hard to argue that all the players switching positions will be able to do so easily enough to really make a difference early on.

So one step forward for the offense but two steps back for the defense means around 5-6 wins to me. That being said I guess I still agree with the OP because that probably is still better than most people think.

You guys who are on the Bills bandwagon to success remember my screen name. I will remember yours as well. At the end of the season and seasons to come we will talk about what we said on this message board.

I can say "without a doubt," and "beyond a "perpondurance of the evidence" I will be correct.

Aren't you guys the same guys who were saying the same things when "Donadope," Malarky, Williams, Marv Levy the GM, and Juaron were hired???????? Be honest...You guys have bee saying the same f...ing thing for 10 years and counting. I am tired of hearing it! Wake the "F" up and stop believing each others lies and better yet the front office lies.. Why are you so afraid to hold this organization accountable for there 10 year debacle? What were you guys saying when we signed Terrel OWENS? Be honest...Now maybe you can see where I am coming from. Get your heads outta of your butts!!!!!

Bottom line is this team is going to STINK and I mean STINK this year and mostly likely many years to come. We don't have the players!!!! All your optimism is based on what ifs and hopeful thinking...Chan can do this and do that. He doesn't have the horses guys and thats the bottom line. Compare any Bills players with any other team and tell me who is a standout outstanding player? Perhaps Lee Evans, (who isn't utilized because our QB, OL and other WR suck) Fred Jackson, Brian Moreman, and Jauris Byrd. Just look yourself in the mirror and examine yourself and this team objectively not subjectively! You will have no choice but to admit this year and next year the Bills will be NFL bottom dweelers/feeders.

I HAVE TEN YEARS OF FACT BACKING UP WHAT I SAY. WHAT DO YOU GUYS HAVE????/A DREAM, A VISION, A HOPE WHAT A JOKE....

Now, let the hate mail begin.

Mike a Bills lover forever.

You're right. Why even follow them this year, let alone watch the games. Just check the scores the morning after the game so you can pat yourself on the back and say, "I told you so."

You're right. Why even follow them this year, let alone watch the games. Just check the scores the morning after the game so you can pat yourself on the back and say, "I told you so."

It would be less painful...But the "stupid Bills fan in me hangs onto the illogical thought that we can consistently win and be competitive." Kinda like playing the lottery and hoping your going to win.....You know your not going to win but you still play and hope...That what its like for me to be a Bills fan.

It would be less painful...But the "stupid Bills fan in me hangs onto the illogical thought that we can consistently win and be competitive." Kinda like playing the lottery and hoping your going to win.....You know your not going to win but you still play and hope...That what its like for me to be a Bills fan.

Sounds a lot like the Patriots fans in the 90's whose pathetic team wallowed in suckitude before some schlubby QB drafted in the 6th round and a head coach who had only 1 winning season in his entire career, turned them into a powerhouse.

Doesn't it?

I am so sick of all of these doom and gloom threads. Where do you guys get this stuff? The Coaching HAS to be better than the crap we have had the last 3 years ESP last year.

We should have beat NE and played them tough twice! A handfull of games decided by a total of something like 20 points!

Enough of the gloom and doom crap and lets back Gailey and company and lets hope this team does well this year! :worthy:

I am always optimistic in the off-season but there have to be concerns about the defense. A new scheme with a number of new players. Can they put it together quickly and be successful? Plus, I always hope this team does well. I think that's what a fan does.

I'm hoping Chan at least can manage the clock better than Dick. How many games did we lose because Dick didn't know how to manage the clock under 2 minutes (NE game...)?

I don't understand why Jauron sucked so bad at that. If he would have just played a couple of games of Madden he would have instantly had a better understanding of the basics of it.

:worthy:

Sounds a lot like the Patriots fans in the 90's whose pathetic team wallowed in suckitude before some schlubby QB drafted in the 6th round and a head coach who had only 1 winning season in his entire career, turned them into a powerhouse.

Doesn't it?

Fish, I will have a better attitude when this organization starts winning. For ten years we haven't won. As a result, I cannot buy into any wishful thinking, optimism, or far away dreams. I am a results orientated man and the Bills have showed me little to change my attitude. Those facts are hard to dispute You can compare all you want. It will get you no where with me.

I expect something in the 7-9 range, maybe 8-8, for this team. The following has already been said a few hundred times, but I agree with the thinking.

Defensively, the Bills are going with a completely different scheme. This will certainly cause problems as the players learn it. Also, although they have some 3-4 players now, they need more and better. That will take another year of the draft and free agency. I think they will be better at stopping the run, but I worry about a pass rush, and I worry about the OLBs in coverage.

Offensively, I think they will run the ball better this year. The O-line will be better but not good. Again, here, the Bills need to draft or trade for a LT next year (maybe this year). The same goes for QB unless someone on the team really steps up, the Bills will need to draft a good one next year. WR is another potential trouble spot. Frankly, I’m not sold on any of the Bills wideouts.

Special Teams should be good again. They have a great punter and great return men, too. Block and tackle well, and they should be okay.

For me, that all adds up to 7-9. Now next year, with another draft and a year of learning the schemes, the Bills could be looking at the playoffs then.