Bills "Nixed" Seattle Offer

but we got an LT anyway, and a good NT prospect (one thats in shape and wont be coming out every other play), and the most explosive player in the draft, so...... I think we made out good regardless

Really well said.

Yeah, and stupid people (sorry, only way to describe them..) keep trying to get rid of Lynch.

So, finally we have an area of our team that may be one of the best in the NFL now--and they say we have too much there now, should trade it away.

Dumb, dumb, dumb--only way to put it, as they just keep going, like they are bad fantasy football players.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Buffalo Bills are void of top end talent. This makes it difficult to build a team because there aren't cornerstone players to build around on either side of the ball. That began to change with drafting Spiller.

If he's in the backfield, or in motion, or about to receive a punt, as an opposing defense you best keep your eye on Spiller.

If Edwards ends up being the starting QB, defenses will know there's a big difference between checking down to Jackson vs. Spiller. Spiller will command that attention and create opportunities by drawing attention from the LB or Safety.

I love having the most talented offensive player on our team at pick 9.

Spiller is a guy who is an energetic, talented player who more importanly, wants to play in Buffalo and wants to help turn this franchise around. I think he was a great pick and will prove to be one of the turning points for this franchise.

I guess there is no getting rid of the "grass is greener" posts.....:worthy:

IMO ultimately what this draft was about was Nix flexing his "top scout" ability to be able to find talent without having to give up pick to move up......for instance

- Spiller is expected to be a very good player.......so no suprises there

- Troupe is expected to be a run plugger who can stay on the field without needed an oxigen tank.....so if he does that no suprises there

BUT

- What if a player like Carrington ends up being a very good player......and there is a good chance of that......fills a huge hole

- What if some of our later round LB's end up being solid players?

- What if Wang ends up developing into a solid LT?

- What if the WR we drafted turns into a good number 2 option?

What if just three fourths of this happens.....

I heard today from a former NFL quarterback that the Seahawks wanted to trade for Marshawn Lynch and our 1st round draft pick but Bills "Nixed" it. Not sure what they offerred, but the way to "Build through the draft" is to stockpile picks.

IMO, if the Bills had kept trading down we could have had Claussen, Cody or Williams at NT, as well as a LT instead of Spiller and Troup.

I think that most people would have graded that draft an A versus the C that most gave the Bills.

After reading the recent article on Claussen, I think we came out on top.

I heard today from a former NFL quarterback that the Seahawks wanted to trade for Marshawn Lynch and our 1st round draft pick but Bills "Nixed" it. Not sure what they offerred, but the way to "Build through the draft" is to stockpile picks.

IMO, if the Bills had kept trading down we could have had Claussen, Cody or Williams at NT, as well as a LT instead of Spiller and Troup.

I think that most people would have graded that draft an A versus the C that most gave the Bills.

wow. nice insight. please never post regarding this again.

WHO THE F CARES WHAT GRADE PEOPLE GAVE THE BILLS DRAFT

Hey Thanks! But where were you back when they were ripping me a new one over on the "off the wall" forum??????????? :thumbsup:

I tried to explain that XTC were not just another "new wave band" and they went insane on me...as if I had a Flock of Seagulls avatar or something! :worthy:

Here ya go. You're new, they bust your balls. I saw XTC open for the Police at UB for their "Drums and Wires" tour (Police "Regatta de Blanc" IIRC).. I bought Drums the next day, and stayed with XTC through Oranges and Lemons. No Police albums ever.

You can trade down into oblivion son, think of Spiller as a "playmaker" not a running back. Obviously the brass did not want Clausen at any price. What is more important to you, an atta boy from the talking heads or a sure fire difference maker this year? CJ is about as close to a fool-proof year one contributor as any prospect in the draft. How much of a difference maker is Bradford going to be this year? Dez Bryant? You say you want LT II type of guy in his prime lining up for you this year on your beloved Buffalo Bills? Bingo. Done.

Bingo.

Your senses are working overtime.

Jason Peters was an undrafted project player who had NEVER played LT. Not that Wang will work out, but he's closer to a starting LT than Peters was when the Bills signed him. I'm just saying.

Any lineman the Bills could have drafted at #9 would have been a reach So I guess you wanted them to trade down? I'm not convinced that would have resulted in a better draft.

We'll have to wait and see how it works out.

Peters was cut, then a PS'er for most of 04, began starting at the RT spot late in the 05 season, continued there through until the bye in 06, and was a 2nd team All-Pro in 2007. This is not commonplace in the NFL, and outside of Jared Gaither and David Diehl, there aren't any quality starting LOT's drafted from the 5th round down or UDFA's.

There are certain positions that are over-drafted, I'll grant you that. My feeling is that you begin rebuilding the OL and DL first. The skill players are nice and shiny, but I'm not buying that Spiller makes this lackluster OL better. It's not a clip of him running by ACC defenses anymore.

So, we would have had an overwieght and unmotivated NT, a prima donna QB who is rumored to already pissed his teammates off, and just 1 30 year old RB instead of the best offensive player in the draft, one of the best RB corps in the league (if not the best) and the perfect NT for our system...

ROFLMAO on how that takes us to an "A" instead of a "C"

What he said.

The pundits might have given the Bills an A this year but three years from now I doubt it would even be a C.

So, we would have had an overwieght and unmotivated NT, a prima donna QB who is rumored to already pissed his teammates off, and just 1 30 year old RB instead of the best offensive player in the draft, one of the best RB corps in the league (if not the best) and the perfect NT for our system...

ROFLMAO on how that takes us to an "A" instead of a "C"

That is kinda old news, they talked about that while the draft was going on. I don't think I will ever understand why they didn't trade Lynch for something, as he is only going to be trouble. The new FO hasn't done a whole of of anything impressive yet, so nothing really is surprising.

What he said.

The pundits might have given the Bills an A this year but three years from now I doubt it would even be a C.

Not sure who the "pundits" are, but of about 20 different grades I have seen, I haven't seen anything higher than a C. Most of them were C- or D. Most of them said the Bills draft was maybe the strangest of them all, having so many needs and drafting for luxury, didn't make much sense.

Please do not call our RB corp the best of anything. Your remark reminds me of those idiots that proclaimed our WRs the best in the league prior to a game being played last year. Our RBs and running game are marginal until they can show they can close out and win a tough game when we are behind. I have not seen that happen in years. Just because our RBs and DBs are the only solid part of this team it does not mean they are anywhere near the best in the league. They are just the better parts of a sordid, pathetic team. Take off the rose colored glasses and get ef'in real. Freddy is capable but ranks around 20 to 25th among starting backs. Lynch is a punk that quit last year and quit again this off season. Yet you call him part of the best RB backfields? Spiller has never carried the ball, he could easily be like Reggie Bush who takes three years to develop and still isn't a starter. I am so sick of you guys who think the Bills make the playoffs by only looking at the players on the Bills and completely forget that the other teams (1) ended the season with better teams than ours (2) signed more and better FAs ( 3) had drafts that addressed immediate team needs (4) have better coaching (5) have franchise QBs and (6) are not making wholesale changes to their teams and schemes. Yet in spite of all that we must be better than they are because we did not follow the logic of solidifying our offensive line and / or getting a franchise QB.

What does any of this have to do with the topic on hand or my original post other than some rant about how putrid you view our team

And just one quick thing on the so called experts and mock drafters. If any of them were any good or worth a dam at all, they would be employed for a lot more money by the NFL teams...

Mock drafts are about as accurate as Dick Chaney after a bottle Yukon Jack on a hunting trip. HYPE...yes HYPE is what makes mock drafts...HYPE is where your grades come from...HYPE is where these experts make their money talking about players...and HYPE is why its all BS until these guys hit the field.

Go back and look at all the spots these guys do prior to each draft and during the draft...they miss, and miss big, constantly on their evaluations. Every year they bash or hype up selections just to be constantly proven wrong. Kiper, McShay, etc are just a bunch of on air time fillers to get ratings during the draft. Do they provide interesting and educating insight on players coming out, sure, but thats where their value and accuracy ends.

They dont know anymore about the interest of the FO of teams than the casual fans do...they dont know which guys technique the FO feels they can adjust, coach up, or fit into their scheme best. They dont know squat is the bottom line, they just make some fun educated guesses and allow fans to pile on the low grades or jump on the band wagon of the bad grades.

Perfect example...I said all offseason we would NOT draft a QB mid round or above because we have Brohm who is just as good a prospect that hasnt had a shot yet. However, all you heard from the pundits was how we would take Claussen, Tebow, McCoy, etc because we desperately needed a QB DESPITE having Brohm who was the very guy whos jock they were on just 2 years ago and many said would be the starter in GB after he was drafted within 2 years, if not that year. Then the FO came and did just that, roll with Brohm and company this year first before we waste a good pick on a QB. Shows how much the pundits knew...

So, I could care less about the grade we have right now...what I look at is how I feel about the players we got, and I really like the players we got and the way this FO is taking this team. Will it work out, we will see, but right now to give a grade is literally just mindless entertainment and nothing to get worked up about.

Maybe it is just me, but I really don't understand the infatuation with Clausen. I never found him that impressive. He was passed over twice by us, that tells you the front office's opinion of him.

Even more interesting, he was passed over by every team in the league once. I guess all the GMs in the NFL are dummies.

Nobody knows if CJ is going to be a star yet! But if they did not like the offer then so be it. If you do not like Clausen then do not pick him! But we will not know what was right or wrong for at least 3 years.

The more I hear about Spiller, the happier I am that we've got him. If we do keep Lynch - and even if we don't, we've now got Bell to add to our group of RB's - we have a perfect combination of toughness and speed in our backfield. Spiller is supposed to be a great WR, too - and from what I saw of his highlights he looked good doing it. When you look at a lot of the dynasty football teams, the really great ones, they had the 3 - QB, RB, and WR tandem. Then again, there are some really solid championship teams that have won on good Defense and a good running game. Not too many teams have gone all the way without a good running game. Now we've got a ton to work with.

And, as for Troupe and the rest - if the Bills evaluators are correct, we came away with some of the best defensive talent at NT and DE. I'm much more comfortable with a NT who can play hard all game long than one who will falter in the last quarter - as our Defense has done lately.

You can trade down into oblivion son, think of Spiller as a "playmaker" not a running back. Obviously the brass did not want Clausen at any price. What is more important to you, an atta boy from the talking heads or a sure fire difference maker this year? CJ is about as close to a fool-proof year one contributor as any prospect in the draft. How much of a difference maker is Bradford going to be this year? Dez Bryant? You say you want LT II type of guy in his prime lining up for you this year on your beloved Buffalo Bills? Bingo. Done.

Spiller is, now, an LT II type of guy in his prime"??

Not one carry and he's LT in his prime?