Students sent home from school for wearing

the kid quoting disrespect is dumb too. let anyone wear anything they choose. getting offended for that is ridiculous. this is america. this kid should be having sex with an attractive female teacher instead of worrying about what other people's shirts look like. o wait, maybe this is not good advice.

fixed

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

t-shirts with American Flags!! It was Cinco de Mayo after all. How insensitive. Just unbelievable. That school district should be ashamed. I especially love this quote

Go ahead and wear whatever the heck you want on the 4th of July, I promise it won't offend me. Hard not to feel our country is sinking fast with nonsense like this going on.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36981179/ns/lo...co_bay_area_ca/

Pretty stupid, I have to say

I say 'check the papers' on the kids protesting the T-shirts. If they or their parents aren't supposed to be here, throw 'em in the hoosegow.

Wish 'em a happy Cinco DeMayo as the officer slams the barred door shut!

Even stupider than sending the kids home. Two stupids don't make a smart.

The intent is pretty obvious. We all went to high school, how many times did kids show up wearing American Flag shirts? It was clearly some misguided protest about something they don't fully understand.

Though being sent home is pretty harsh. I mean who actually celebrates Cinco de Mayo? Drunk frat boys?

They were definitely being defiant, and open to criticism amongst their peers, but to have the school send them home, is misguided at best.

A couple of voices of reason. That's pretty rare around here.

So you have no problem with the school sending kids home for wearing the American flag on their shirts while allowing other students to wear the Mexican flag on their shirts and faces? You do realize this was a school located in America right? Why do some immigrants feel absolutely no need to assimilate and accept American culture? And when did "freedom from being offended" become a right?

The kids were told to take off the badanas and turn their shirts in. They refused,so they were sent home because they defied an order. These kids were looking to stir up some trouble and get attention. The school stopped them from making trouble,but they got their attention. I don't think it's a big deal.

The kids were told to take off the badanas and turn their shirts in. They refused,so they were sent home because they defied an order. These kids were looking to stir up some trouble and get attention. The school stopped them from making trouble,but they got their attention. I don't think it's a big deal.

Not exactly true. Here is a link to the news report. Shows what each kid was wearing that day. One had a bandana on, was told to remove it because it was against the dress code and did. Another kid had US flag themed sneakers. The report does not specify if the kid was asked to remove his sneakers and walk around in socks all day.

Were the kids trying to make a bit of a statement...sure they were. But any kid in the USA should be able to wear the US flag on any day. If we start with Cinco de Mayo...what's next St. Patrick's Day? St. Stanislaus? The day of the Puerto Rican day parade in NYC? C'mon...we are in the USA here. The HS administrators were stupid in taking the bait the kids obviously laid out. If they had ignored the issue, we'd have no news report.

Interestingly, the district disagreed publicly with the HS decision and met with all the parents that day. Methinks someone at the HS is in a bit of trouble and it won't be the kids.

It's the principal. The school board that night apologized. The principal said to turn the shirts inside out or take them off. The students said no, that would be disrespecting the US flag. The principal wasn't even going to call the parents. One of the students called his parents and they called the other parents. Today, about 60 students (probably illegals) skipped school at 10:30 and walked down to City Hall/ They should all be suspended. When I was in school, if you were missing from class, three day suspension.

Not exactly true. Here is a link to the news report. Shows what each kid was wearing that day. One had a bandana on, was told to remove it because it was against the dress code and did. Another kid had US flag themed sneakers. The report does not specify if the kid was asked to remove his sneakers and walk around in socks all day.

Were the kids trying to make a bit of a statement...sure they were. But any kid in the USA should be able to wear the US flag on any day. If we start with Cinco de Mayo...what's next St. Patrick's Day? St. Stanislaus? The day of the Puerto Rican day parade in NYC? C'mon...we are in the USA here. The HS administrators were stupid in taking the bait the kids obviously laid out. If they had ignored the issue, we'd have no news report.

Interestingly, the district disagreed publicly with the HS decision and met with all the parents that day. Methinks someone at the HS is in a bit of trouble and it won't be the kids.

Something's missing there. Maybe I'm going into this expecting most kids to be arrogant punks, but I couldn't help but pick up on some attitude from a couple of those kids, specifically the "this is America" kid. I wish they would have bothered to talk to some of the kids on the other side, or maybe even that principal. Just like everything else, the true story is somewhere in between the their two versions.

Watching the news clip just confirmed my belief that these kids had a chip on their shoulder and were looking to stir up crap. The school handled it fine. There was no violence and the kids(and their parents)got to stand on their soapbox. I agree that ignoring them may have been better,because then these pinheads don't get the attention,but that ran the risk of an ugly situation at the school. If anything,the school administrators erred on the side of caution.

Actually, I think the kids should be given a history lesson pertaining to the flag and how to display it. It's considered disrepectful to wear the flag as a form of clothing.

"The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general."

Can somebody tell me when this became a holiday for Americans, or I guess I should say Buffalonians (maybe it was celebrated in the Southwest earlier)......I haven't had a drink since '95 and before that pretty much would party for any reason.........I never even heard of the day until about ten years ago - and my grandmother, who I was very close to, was born and raised in Mexico!! She never mentioned it once.......

Actually, I think the kids should be given a history lesson pertaining to the flag and how to display it. It's considered disrepectful to wear the flag as a form of clothing.

"The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general."

I remember back when I was in school, people complained about the wearing of anything with the flag on it, or using the flag as clothing. The rule above actually applies to a flag itself, but many people objected to a replica of the flag, an image of the flag or anything vaguely flag-like being worn. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest some of those people are the ones so offended by the schools actions today.

For the record, while I've never liked the wearing of flag-like clothing and accessories, I've always supported one's right to wear them.

Can somebody tell me when this became a holiday for Americans, or I guess I should say Buffalonians (maybe it was celebrated in the Southwest earlier)......I haven't had a drink since '95 and before that pretty much would party for any reason.........I never even heard of the day until about ten years ago - and my grandmother, who I was very close to, was born and raised in Mexico!! She never mentioned it once.......

From what I understand, people in the booze industry noticed an uptick in alcohol sales early in May, in the LA area. They discovered it was for the Cinco de Mayo celebration, which is very important to Mexicans from a particular region of Mexico and recognized to varying degrees by Mexicans from other regions.

Budweiser, and other companies that purvey alcoholic products (and Mexican food chains like Chi-Chis), took this opportunity to create a bigger event. Like most holidays, Cinco de Mayo has some real roots, but is essentially a manufactured holiday...at least in scope.

Budweiser, and other companies that purvey alcoholic products (and Mexican food chains like Chi-Chis), took this opportunity to create a bigger event. Like most holidays, Cinco de Mayo has some real roots, but is essentially a manufactured holiday...at least in scope.

I'm surprised more ethnic based holidays haven't taken off after watching the way so many people go crazy on days like cinco de mayo and St. Patrick's day. With all the people looking for excuses to get drunk, I'm surprised there isn't one of these holiday's each month. Maybe someday they'll be digging up some celebration from a tiny remote village in the middle of central Africa. We can only hope.

I'm surprised more ethnic based holidays haven't taken off after watching the way so many people go crazy on days like cinco de mayo and St. Patrick's day. With all the people looking for excuses to get drunk, I'm surprised there isn't one of these holiday's each month. Maybe someday they'll be digging up some celebration from a tiny remote village in the middle of central Africa. We can only hope.

I appreciate all cultures that give me a reason to go out on a Tuesday or whatever and drink heavily! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I appreciate all cultures that give me a reason to go out on a Tuesday or whatever and drink heavily! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Me too. Although isn't "It's Tuesday" a good enough reason?

But screw that culture if the celebration falls on a friday/saturday. They're not doing a thing for me that year.

We have Dyngus Day in Buffalo. :thumbsup:

A great example. I have a couple of clients who grew up in Poland. They never heard of Dyngus Day. Not to say it isn't an authentic Polish holiday, I believe it is. But I don't think they have blown it up to the proportion we see in Buffalo.

Obama Day?

From what I understand, people in the booze industry noticed an uptick in alcohol sales early in May, in the LA area. They discovered it was for the Cinco de Mayo celebration, which is very important to Mexicans from a particular region of Mexico and recognized to varying degrees by Mexicans from other regions.

That's for that info. I never knew how it came about............And talking about Dyngus Day, etc., I had a college friend who moved to Ireland after college for awhile. We were writing letters and I said wow you must have had a great day on St. Patrick's Day. She said it's not like that there. It's more of a religious holiday..........Here we'll turn anything into a drinking holiday!