Brohm to work rookie minicamp

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Link

Wise move on his part.

I'd like to know if Edwards and Fitz were given the opportunity to participate and turned it down, or whether they just extended the opportunity to Brohm alone? If it's the latter, then that's a clear indication of who they want to win the job.

Brohm is essentially a rookie anyway. I think the extra time with the 1st unit will be great for him, if you listen to his interview I think he realizes this is his big chance, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him come out on top after its all said and done. From the sounds of it he really didnt have a chance last yr with AVP pulling dbl duty, what a Joke that regime was.

I'd like to know if Edwards and Fitz were given the opportunity to participate and turned it down, or whether they just extended the opportunity to Brohm alone? If it's the latter, then that's a clear indication of who they want to win the job.

The article indicates that only first and second year players may participate on a voluntary basis. I guess Brohm is considered a second year player because of how much of last year was spent on the GB's practice squad.

"Of course the benefit of five extra practices for Brohm this weekend with the new staff in the new scheme before Trent Edwardsicon-article-link.gif and Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif can step on the field is significant. He’ll be afforded almost one-on-one instruction from Gailey and quarterbacks coach George Cortez through the course of the weekend."

I took from the article that Brohm met specific criteria to attend this rookie camp, that Edwards & Fitz don't have as vets.

Can't help but hope BB is a diamond in the rough.

Probably more an indication of what they think about Brohm and his current state. The coaches won't even go ove rthe playbook during this camp, so I would think this is his first try-out to see if he can beat out Levi for a spot on the team.

Good article, thanks. DB

Very much so. I don't care who wins the competition as long as they're a very solid or better QB. :doh: Brohm's got everything he needs. He just needs to put it together at this level.

There appears to be a typo in your response. Beerball can be shortened to BB.

Thanks. :wallbash:

I'm pulling for the guy...loved him at Louisville & he has all of the tools required to run Chan's "pistol".

I feel for us to have a good year, three things must happen.

1) stay off of IR...it has to be one of the main reasons why we have had so many poor seasons recently.

2) starting QB must be established AS SOON AS POSSIBLE....period!

3) Schobel needs to come back. We need his play-making ability off the edge. He's a class act & the 3-4 won't work w/o pressure.

The article indicates that only first and second year players may participate on a voluntary basis. I guess Brohm is considered a second year player because of how much of last year was spent on the GB's practice squad.

I wondered about this, too. Can anyone clarify Brohm's exception?

Guest dog14787
Probably more an indication of what they think about Brohm and his current state. The coaches won't even go ove rthe playbook during this camp, so I would think this is his first try-out to see if he can beat out Levi for a spot on the team.

Brohms attitude and confidence he can do the job is a huge plus. This will give Brohm a little bit of a head start on the competition and in my opinion its not likely Brown could overcome Brohm, but anythings possible I suppose.

I wondered about this, too. Can anyone clarify Brohm's exception?

Without looking into it I'm guessing that PS time isn't counted as roster time. I think this also works with players ability to hit FA. Time spent on the PS doesn't count toward their accrued time toward becoming a FA.

Without looking into it I'm guessing that PS time isn't counted as roster time.

Correct. Player has to be on the actual roster for at least 6 games before it will count as a "year of experience".

(That's why players that hold out will always come back to play by the tenth game).

I'm sorry Deerball, I won't let it happen again. :doh:

Quit messing with Beerdoll.

Without looking into it I'm guessing that PS time isn't counted as roster time. I think this also works with players ability to hit FA. Time spent on the PS doesn't count toward their accrued time toward becoming a FA.
Correct. Player has to be on the actual roster for at least 6 games before it will count as a "year of experience".

(That's why players that hold out will always come back to play by the tenth game).

Yeah, there's also a distinction between a rookie and a "first-year player." A rookie is a true rookie, someone with zero NFL experience. A first-year player is one who served one year on the practice squad but has no NFL regular season playing experience.

So Brohm is probably categorized as a 2nd year player.

On NFL.com, Brohm is listed as a 3rd year player. So that's not the reason he's attending and the other 2 vets aren't. And given that there will be a new system, they could ALL use the extra time.