New Vikings stadium defeated in state committee

Wow, so for a $791M stadium (good luck with that cost estimate!), the Vikes would ONLY have been on the hook for $264M? And some female canine about the $7M a year Erie County has to pay for upkeep of its own (Ralph Wilson) stadium?

As long as there are 1-2 teams in worse shape with their cities than we are, I'm a happy guy. That said, the Vikings are a grand old franchise, and I'd really like them to stick around up there. AND, if they build a new stadium, that sucker really needs to be outside. A playoff home game in Minneapolis would be epic. At the Metrodome, it's just another NFC playoff game.

As long as there are 1-2 teams in worse shape with their cities than we are, I'm a happy guy. That said, the Vikings are a grand old franchise, and I'd really like them to stick around up there. AND, if they build a new stadium, that sucker really needs to be outside. A playoff home game in Minneapolis would be epic. At the Metrodome, it's just another NFC playoff game.

i feel the same way!, have no problem seeing jacksonville and minnesota have issues regarding being viable in their respective markets. i also agree with the outdoor stadium. seeing all the dome teams in the playoffs stunk this past year. i like to see the players breaths, the snow, real football weather.

Good for the citizens of Minnesota. That stadium they got is only 25 years old.

Now it needs to be replaced? If the Yikes want a new stadium so bad, let them build it.

This the part of pro sports I really don't like. Why in heaven's name do you need a super mondo techie fancy stadium to play football in? Then the average Joe Schmuck fan can't afford tickets. Lame.

That would suck if the Vikings had to move to LA. I dont like seeing teams with history and a good fan base go anywhere. Move the Jags...no history, fans dont give a crap...nobody would miss them.

i am with you on not liking historic franchises being moved, but if it came down to the vikes or the bills.. im sure you know the answer. if L A does finally get a team, what city will the owners now use as leverage?, only one i could maybe see is san antonio, but feel jerry jones would be against that, and like it or not, he has some clout.

Good for the citizens of Minnesota. That stadium they got is only 25 years old.

Now it needs to be replaced? If the Yikes want a new stadium so bad, let them build it.

This the part of pro sports I really don't like. Why in heaven's name do you need a super mondo techie fancy stadium to play football in? Then the average Joe Schmuck fan can't afford tickets. Lame.

I think if a sports team ... any sports team, wants a stadium, they should pay for it themselves. Having it paid for or even subsidized by government is a monumental waste of taxpayer money.

That would suck if the Vikings had to move to LA. I dont like seeing teams with history and a good fan base go anywhere. Move the Jags...no history, fans dont give a crap...nobody would miss them.

Amen.

I think if a sports team ... any sports team, wants a stadium, they should pay for it themselves. Having it paid for or even subsidized by government is a monumental waste of taxpayer money.

Sorry, but that's naive. not that I agree for the most part, but it wont happen. Cities want the tax rev, and consider it an investment, not a cost. usually they have an additional tax for stadiums.

But it does seem pro teams have the cities by the nads more & more.

The best part about this idea would be that with real estate so cheap in Buffalo, we'd have a major league baseball and basketball team here as well.

Seriously though, I completely agree with this sentiment - teams should have to build their own stadiums without taxpayer assistance.

And Minn is not getting a new stadium for the same reason that the Bills won't move to Toronto anytime soon: the economy. No one will finance a real estate purchase of that amount in this economy and no one will finance stadium construction in this economy. Add to that the fact that nearly every state government is failing or at least pinching pennies and you have a poor situation for big money deals.

+1,000,000

In fact, it shouldn't even be legal. Good for the MN taxpayers.

the money brought in via local businesses and revenues from such a pro team pay for the stadiums in most cases over time.....

cities that lose their franchises more then likely lose revenue

look it up...

but these days billion $$$$ stadiums don't bring back a good ROI... so I can see cities voting no to such huge stadium requests....

Hello to the LA Vikings! :w00t::w00t::w00t:

sounds horrible. if they were to move,I would hope Minn would keep the name, like the Browns did.

Vikings in LA make no sense. then again, I dont think there was Rams in SoCal either.

sounds horrible. if they were to move,I would hope Minn would keep the name, like the Browns did.

Vikings in LA make no sense. then again, I dont think there was Rams in SoCal either.

The Los Angeles Pirates seems like it would keep closest in theme while still being coherent.

the money brought in via local businesses and revenues from such a pro team pay for the stadiums in most cases over time.....

cities that lose their franchises more then likely lose revenue

look it up...

but these days billion $$$$ stadiums don't bring back a good ROI... so I can see cities voting no to such huge stadium requests....

Last I heard studies do not support stadiums being a good investment for cities, especially for football teams with their 8 home dates. Please link to something supporting your statement if you don't mind.

If the Lakers can move from Minneapolis & keep their name, why not the Vikings? Ditto for the New Orleans Jazz now known as the Utah Jazz. Where are all those Rams in Cleveland? The only franchise that moved to a more appropriate city & kept its name that I can think of is when the San Diego Rockets moved to Houston. The Browns didn't keep the name in St Louis, they moved to Baltimore & became the Orioles, & St. Louis never reclaimed the name Browns.:P .