McGahee's "speed burst"

Tolstoy

According to McGahee, he has done a lot of work in strengthening his legs (e.g., pulling cars tied to his waist, etc.), especially since his injury. Now I am no athletic trainer, but doesn't building up muscle usually decrease flexibility and, in this case, speed?

In other words, is it possible that McGahee's lack of a speed burst is due to more muscle and bulk (which can benefit a runner in a different way)?

If so, perhaps he will never get that burst back. Just a thought.

well, he looks to me like he doesn't really need that speed burst. I think people had forgotten that this guy was first pick material. I think he's just coming along and slowly making it back to 100%. As for the muscle growth, who knows... I know that a HUGE buildup of muscle decreases speed, but he's not that much bigger, if at all, than he was at UM. Honestly, i think he's just progressing from his knee injury. Since you brought it up, can you imagine what kind of damage he could do with his speed burst?

This is kind of a interesting subject.....

I was having this conversation with my sons speed coach just this past Saturday.....wondering if there was anything I could do with Brett in the gym to "speed" him along....any muscules that needed to be strengthened......

He told me no way we will do it all natural....and that biulding muscules in the leg areas can actually limit his flexability (something he is really working on) and thus affect his speed burst.......

If you ask me....I think we are going to see a Willis Magehee....all muscule but much lighter next year.....a bit more streamlined.....

FULL recovery from an ACL tear takes about 2 years. He is already ahead of schedule He, himself, has said he's about 95% back.

Plus, remember in essense this kid is a rookie. Almost every RB - even one coming from college fully healthy - has his best years in years 3,4,5 etc.

For a rookie, coming off such a major injury, I'd say he's doin' ok.

At least...a little bit... :doh:

Given all the correct info already provided about recovering from knee injuries, etc., I still say that he is (Right Now) a lot faster than most of you think. Watch the fake QB sneak with respect to the angles of the defenders. Watch the long run vs. the Rams. He is a tall back with long, smooth strides. Will he yet improve his speed? Yes. I just think his speed is already a bit deceiving.

Help Willis out, when he's running hit the X button that's built into your remote, instant speed burst, then hit circle for a spin move, maybe triangle to run somebody over, unless you want to hit R1 or L1 to juke around the guy. Sarcasm BTW. :-)

A big part of re-hab is stretching so you maintain your flexibility, yes more muscle mass means less flexibility usually but these guys have trainers for a reason, they strech like you wouldn't believe. Look at Barry Sanders' legs, they were MASSIVE, then tell me he wasn't flexible.

Also, I challenge anyone who says he's slow. He outran 2 Seahawk DBs , one of which was Ken Hamlin to the corner on Sunday and then outran the angle of a third (Bierria) to get into the endzone where he dove and contorted his body to get the ball inside the pylon. He ran 47 yards (roughly, Pythagorean Theorum) before the saftey could run 35 (given 5 yards off the line from the middle of the field). Tell me again where he's missing speed? He glides. Trust me when I tell you. He will get in a footrace before the end of this year and he will not be caught. TH looks like he's going 1,000 MPH because he has short legs but he's actually slow. Willis moves faster with fewer strides. Think Walter Payton, big, strong, long strides, really fast out in the open.

Help Willis out, when he's running hit the X button that's built into your remote, instant speed burst, then hit circle for a spin move, maybe triangle to run somebody over, unless you want to hit R1 or L1 to juke around the guy.  Sarcasm BTW.  :-)

A big part of re-hab is stretching so you maintain your flexibility, yes more muscle mass means less flexibility usually but these guys have trainers for a reason, they strech like you wouldn't believe.  Look at Barry Sanders' legs, they were MASSIVE, then tell me he wasn't flexible.

Also, I challenge anyone who says he's slow.  He outran 2 Seahawk DBs , one of which was Ken Hamlin to the corner on Sunday and then outran the angle of a third (Bierria) to get into the endzone where he dove and contorted his body to get the ball inside the pylon.  He ran 47 yards (roughly, Pythagorean Theorum) before the saftey could run 35 (given 5 yards off the line from the middle of the field).  Tell me again where he's missing speed?  He glides.  Trust me when I tell you.  He will get in a footrace before the end of this year and he will not be caught.  TH looks like he's going 1,000 MPH because he has short legs but he's actually slow.  Willis moves faster with fewer strides.  Think Walter Payton, big, strong, long strides, really fast out in the open.

140059[/snapback]

Thankyou, see above post :doh:

You explained it better ...

According to McGahee, he has done a lot of work in strengthening his legs (e.g., pulling cars tied to his waist, etc.), especially since his injury.  Now I am no athletic trainer, but doesn't building up muscle usually decrease flexibility and, in this case, speed?

In other words, is it possible that McGahee's lack of a speed burst is due to more muscle and bulk (which can benefit a runner in a different way)?

If so, perhaps he will never get that burst back.  Just a thought.

139059[/snapback]

Let me ask you a question. Find me a GREAT 100M sprinter that is skinny. You won't. Any great sprinter has great legs, and is strong.

I believe the pulling the car thing was something that was done long ago (under the tutelage of his older brother to recover from an injury in HS?) - not as part of his training after this injury (doubt the Bills medical staff would have approved of that particular training method).

I think it is a different kind of muscule though ICE...if that makes any sense.....

140096[/snapback]

Not different. He is training for explosive power. Sprinters do the same. The only difference is a few more upperbody lifts.

I think he'll end up being a Keith Byers-type player. Which is fine with me; Byers helped teams become contenders. 

I just hope he's not willis' mentor for ball handling.

edit: that was the byner who fumbled away the browns game back in the 80's, wasn't it?

I believe the pulling the car thing was something that was done long ago (under the tutelage of his older brother to recover from an injury in HS?) - not as part of his training after this injury (doubt the Bills medical staff would have approved of that particular training method).

140083[/snapback]

For what it's worth:

Car pulling at UM

I just hope he's not willis' mentor for ball handling.

edit:  that was the byner who fumbled away the browns game back in the 80's, wasn't it?

140107[/snapback]

No that was Ernest Byner with Cleveland and the Kosar teams. A shame of a legacy - that fumble against the lucky-ass-Elway-passing on-and-on-past-the line-of scrimmage team - he was a fine rb.

Keith Byers played with Philly, Mia, NE and NYJ. Caught 81 balls one season. check out the link.