Makes no sense

according to espn preseaon power rankings, we're #28. Fine, but what i dont understand is last year, they ranked us as #21, where did we get worse? I think we only got BETTER this offseason, unless you consider the loss of T.O. a major blow to this team. This just shows the overall respect we get from the entire league and media.

There are a lot of people who think Dick Jauron oveachieved with this roster and the new staff is worse than the old one. These people obviously don't watch Bills games, but I could see why this roster looks like the one of the bottom 4 in football.

Hell, I'm hoping Troup, Carrington, Easley, Wang, and Batten all start THIS YEAR.

where did we get worse?

QB--last year, Edwards had a mildly positive image heading into the season

WR--"T.O.? Hey we've heard of him"

OL--wasn't in shambles yet

Throw in a switch to the 3-4 defense using many guys drafted for the 4-3 and it's not hard to understand the low national expectations...

Its tough being a NFL journalist this time of year. Anything that can catch peoples eye is what their bosses are looking for them to publish. How ridiculous is a power ranking now? I feel pretty confident that the Saints weren't at the top last year.

I don't want to assume you are one of those insecure Buffalo guys that gets upset when their team gets a bad rap from the national media. Its been snowing in Buffalo during the winter for thousands of years and its going to continue to snow after you and I are gone and the Bills may get bad press until they do something about it. I would suggest not letting it bother you until it really matters.

Well we were 23rd as evidence by picking 9th. I think it is fair to say we are probably better than St Louis and on a par or behind the rest. Oakland and Detroit have improved more than we have. At year end Oakland was a much better team than the Bills especially when Gradkowski was QB. This alone drops us to 25th. I'd have to look at the other suck-a$$ teams to think if we drop all the way to 28th, but it is not unreasonable. It is very probable that we will have a top five pick next year.

Also you have to get over your insecurity about Buffalo being viewed a second rate city. It really is getting old. Be loud, be proud and quit whining about what you believe other people think about Buffalo. The more you whine the more it proves their point.

They read press clippings, hear draftniks rank the draft low and have low expectations of a first year FO. I say GREAT! keep the expectations low and let us surprise people.

i agree, who really gives a sh-t what espn, or any of the national media thinks?, i used to get as pissed as anyone, but i have come to the conclusion, tradition has taken a back seat to glitz. the bills deserve to be ignored, but the love affair with the jets, rex ryan, jerry jones, tony romo, all the usual suspects, does get tiring. it sure makes watching the sunday pre-game shows tedious, as does watching the bills. it seems the glory days were a dream.

Agreed. But if Buffalo was a larger market (a la Boston), I think you would find that this current team would prolly be 10 pts higher.

That's how inferiority complexes are started. It's also bull **** (see Lurker's post).

Most teams have gotten better. We're admittedly rebuilding and switching to a completely new defensive and offensive scheme. #28 sounds about right. Don't take offense just because they tell you something you don't want to hear.

according to espn preseaon power rankings, we're #28. Fine, but what i dont understand is last year, they ranked us as #21, where did we get worse? I think we only got BETTER this offseason, unless you consider the loss of T.O. a major blow to this team. This just shows the overall respect we get from the entire league and media.

Last year everyone thought Trent was going to have a breakout year with TO taking double coverage away from Lee Evans. The offensive line is worse on paper now than it was at this time last year. The WR corp is worse or at least unproven. They switched to a 3-4 without the personnel to do so and now rely on a rookie to play NT. 28 may be generous as outside of Cleveland and St. Louis I don't see any worse teams.

Last year we "thought" we had a decent QB who was only going to improve in our fast paced no-huddle offense. This year we know we don't have a good QB

#28 seems about right to me as well. New coaching staff, and we have no idea if they will be better. Still have huge issues at QB, offensive tackle, tight end, and wide receiver, plus the conversion to the 3-4.

Everyone rags on the so-called experts, whether it is because they are critical about our front office, our coaching, our draft or our players, but the reality is that they have been right more than they have been wrong about the Bills over the last 10 years.

The Bills still have the terrible trio at QB. The Oline might actually be in worse shape considering the injuries and replacements. There is no 2nd WR...besides Lee Evans. Their primary pass rusher is another year older, being asked to play a position that he's never played and is not sure if he wants to come back. That leaves Kelsay, Maybin and Mitchell to rush the QB.

If anything, they overrated the Bills. #30 is more like it.

Well we were 23rd as evidence by picking 9th. I think it is fair to say we are probably better than St Louis and on a par or behind the rest. Oakland and Detroit have improved more than we have. At year end Oakland was a much better team than the Bills especially when Gradkowski was QB. This alone drops us to 25th. I'd have to look at the other suck-a$$ teams to think if we drop all the way to 28th, but it is not unreasonable. It is very probable that we will have a top five pick next year.

Also you have to get over your insecurity about Buffalo being viewed a second rate city. It really is getting old. Be loud, be proud and quit whining about what you believe other people think about Buffalo. The more you whine the more it proves their point.

i respect this post. we went from 23 to 28. big deal.

There are a lot of people who think Dick Jauron oveachieved with this roster and the new staff is worse than the old one. These people obviously don't watch Bills games, but I could see why this roster looks like the one of the bottom 4 in football.

Hell, I'm hoping Troup, Carrington, Easley, Wang, and Batten all start THIS YEAR.

Dont forget Spiller. He needs to start, too.

ever think that quite a few teams actually signed better players than us an had a better draft than us? and its not just because the media hates the bills

The more question marks a team has after FA and the draft, the lower a team will be thought of. Several fans questioned the OL last year with the upheaval and lo and behold it didn't function well. This year those OL questions remain along with the conversion to a 34, and of course the QB. It also doesn't help that the AFCE will be extremely competitive in 2010.

Other teams got better, too. On paper. Don't put too much stock in this. Remember, each team is only 1 or 2 injuries away from a major season flop. Imagine what would happen to Indy if Manning went out for the season.