Jets Weaknesses

the bills will beat the jets at least once this year, our run D will be better. greene is still somewhat unproven and LT is past his prime, and byrd was picking off every other pass sanchez attempted. with a weapon like spiller on offense, we can beat the jets, no matter how unproven our O-line is.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We beat them last year and we'll beat them again this year. The jets suck, they were essentially 8-8 last year and beat a bad CIN and a bad SD team in the playoffs. The Bills have a better shot at the playoffs this year than the jets.

They traded in their all pro RB for a washed up former all pro, they picked up a CB that SD didn't want and they picked up jason taylor (I don't think I have to say how much of a bum he is). Then they cut their all pro G in favour of a rookie 2nd rounder...like people, stop drinking the damn kool aid that clark judge throws out there. The jets will be 7-9 this year.

I'm not that high on the Jets either, I'm just low on the Bills. The Bills may catch them napping and win a game, but the Bills are gonna lose IN THE STANDINGS, where it counts.

The Bills can't score. Haven't for years now. It's called a Quarterback.

PS. I LOVE the Bills. I don't like ANY other team in sports (aside from the Sabres). I'm not against the Bills, they just don't have anything going right now. I think they will improve, but they DESPERATELY need a QB. It's not gonna happen until they get one.

Teams between QB's struggle for years. The Cowboys, The Steelers, The Dolphins, The Packers. All these teams had heydays, then sucked after the Hall of Fame QB left. That's where the Bills are. IN LIMBO!

How can our offense exploit their defense? Two very strong one-on-one corners and a first round pick that was the best cover corner drafted. They put these guys on an island and put nine in the box.

Running against nine in the box is tough and passing against their corners might be pretty tough too.

Good special teams coach and special teams in general.

Good offensive line. Addition of Holmes adds speed to receiving corp.

I don't want to roll over here by any means but man they look tough.

Nine in the box? Bring it on. You have to keep trying for the big plays.

I would say a 3 WR set would be very effective. No safety help on a deep man, no safety help on a secondd deep man ... should be lots room for the slot receiever or TE. Play action to freeze the LB and safeties.

I would love to play against 9 in a box if I had the right weapons.

Nine in the box? Bring it on. You have to keep trying for the big plays.

I would say a 3 WR set would be very effective. No safety help on a deep man, no safety help on a secondd deep man ... should be lots room for the slot receiever or TE. Play action to freeze the LB and safeties.

I would love to play against 9 in a box if I had the right weapons.

Yeah, but the Bills don't have the right weapons. They have exactly the wrong weapons. They have the ammunition, but no one to fire it off. The Bills offense can't get the ball past 15 yards from scrimmage, so it becomes kinda like "11 men in a small box". That's the story of the Bills offense.

Fascinating how so many here say 'run the ball down the Jets throats' here to win when the team that handled them, the Colts, do not have much of a running game to speak of.

Incredible how you're holding out hope against hope for Nix to trade for Peyton Manning straight up for Trent Edwards.

there is a fine line between charisma and crazy. if things go well and they get on a roll, they'll likely play well. solid defense, possession offense with sanchez in year 2. however, if things break badly, an injury or two, the collision of egos on the team, and a couple tough losses---well then i;d think chubby or skinny rex could get real annoying real fast. for those who think they are a shoe-in, how many one-hit wonders do you have to see in nfl before you realize stringing two together has an awful lot to do with luck?

Exactly. The Jests have improved on paper, no doubt. I, for one, however, am not going to get my panties in a wad sitting here in early May! Just think about the effects of the Injury Bug on the Bills last year (and in 2007). Who is to say that won't hit the Jests? The entire complexion of the contest could change with a couple of blown ACLs. The odds are that someone WILL be sitting out during the Bills/Jets games. It's a fact of life in the NFL. I'll worry about it on game day.

Fascinating how so many here say 'run the ball down the Jets throats' here to win when the team that handled them, the Colts, do not have much of a running game to speak of.

I agree with you here somewhat. They like to put as many men in the box as possible, sometimes nine leaving just two CBs to cover receivers. The can be burnt with the pass. The Bills beat them with screens, but you cannot only rely on screens. Crossing patterns with a speedy TE and also RB coming out of the backfield can also work. There is also the spread formation with extra wide receivers can burn them. You have to use short passes against this team because they will get to the QB.

The problem with the Jets is that their defense tries to stifle offenses with a lot of people in the box and many teams crumble while others capitalize on their over aggressiveness. Beat them with, I know a lot of people don't want to hear this, but with Trent Edward's short passing game. Did anyone notice that when our tight end went down with an injury Edwards was lost out there? The tight end was to be a big part of the offense. Having a speedy, pass catching RB running crossing patterns can help too. Most people here like to criticize the short passing game but that is exactly how you beat this Jests team.

Mark Sanchez

I think that's yet to be seen. Sanchez was 41-68 60% 539 4-2 in 3 playoff games for the Jets which isn't bad for a rookie. His best game of the year was in the AFC Championship game when the Jets running game was struggling. I'm not saying he's the next Joe Montana but he showed a lot in the playoffs.

I think that's yet to be seen. Sanchez was 41-68 60% 539 4-2 in 3 playoff games for the Jets which isn't bad for a rookie. His best game of the year was in the AFC Championship game when the Jets running game was struggling. I'm not saying he's the next Joe Montana but he showed a lot in the playoffs.

My hope is that the Jets believe in him and open up their playbook. They won by running the ball and hiding Sanchez. They had by far the most rushing attempts and fewest passign attempts in the league. The running game won't be as good this year and hopefully they will turn into more a passing team.

Sanchez was in a similar situation as Clausen was this year. He was the 2nd best in a suspect class (though the 2008 QB class is much better). I've never been sold on the guy and hopefully Lil' Marty turns him loose this year. This will only help us because our secondary is the strongest part of this team.

I think the biggest downfall to the Jets is the "problem" players they keep taking on. Holmes was getting in trouble playing in Pittsburgh, now he will be in the spotlight of "The Big Apple". Theres alot more temptation in NY for players to get in trouble if they aren't careful.

They are also getting older at some key positions. Letting go of their running game from last year and bringing in a rookie and a worn down Tomlinson weakens the running game, and I don't think many people outside of NY saw anything out of Sanchez last year that impressed them and thought he could be a QB that could carry a team or lead them instead of just playing not to lose.

Their biggest strength is the defence. I would say that the Division is going to be between them and the Pats this year, unless they implode on themselves

What do you see as potential weaknesses since you are obviously a Jets fan?

===========================================================

#1 is the QB play, could turn out to be a strength, 50/50 chance, maybe less. If Sanchez turns out good I think the Jets will be good for 4+ years.

Weak spot at left guard, can Greene stay healthy, Jets still need a good pass rusher.

Pretty much the same weakness you guy's see.

I don't think the locker room will be a problem.

Yeah, but the Bills don't have the right weapons. They have exactly the wrong weapons. They have the ammunition, but no one to fire it off. The Bills offense can't get the ball past 15 yards from scrimmage, so it becomes kinda like "11 men in a small box". That's the story of the Bills offense.

The only ? is if we have a QB w/ the arm to go deep, b/c if you leave a cb on an island w/ Lee Evans he can get burned deep. I fully understood the straight line speed of Evans when he ran down Terrance Newman from behind (like Don Beebe chasing down Leon Lett) on that heartbreaking Monday night two yrs ago.

There is a few things that the Jets should be concerned about

1- Left Guard- They are starting a rookie at left guard Mangold and Ferguson really struggled once Pete Kendal left. Yes Mangold and Ferguson are older but left guard is a major concern. Mangold and Ferguson are now going to be holding the hand of a rookie.

2- Mark Sanchez is their QB - Why should I be scared of the Jets passing attack when a guy who put up number similar to Jamarcus Russel is their QB. Just because their QB is a year older doesn't mean he will be better. Sanchez is a weakness.

Older D-line- Kris Jenkins is coming off of injury and is over 30 and Shaun Ellis is 33 both guys are key in their front 7 and they are a lot older and have a lot of miles on them. If those guys break down the young guys behind them (DeVito and Sione Pouha) will have to step up and 1 of two things can happen 1- Young guys just aren't capable of stepping up 2- They step up but get worn down as the season goes on as the front 7 looses its depth.

Pass Rush is determined by the blitz- They have one guy in Calvin Pace that is a pure pass rusher and he is an OLB they don't have a DE that can rush the passer and out of their OLB's they only have one guy who is a good pass rusher. So right now the Jets depend on the blitz a lot to rush the passer even with their corners good WR's can expose the scheme.

Running back- Greene is their only real running back. Tomlinson is washed up, and Joe McKnight is a rookie. Also can Greene carry the load?

All in all they have a ton of concerns yeah they have more talent on paper then us but come on Mark Sanchez isn't a guy who inspires a lot of confidence in the offense. Also the D has some concerns to it in the age of the D-line and the lack of more then one pure pass rusher.

I think Sanchez is better than you think he is, but aside from that, I agree with you. Also, the Bills are making a major commitment to the defense this year. I think we absolutely improve against the run. And if they choke off the run, the Jets (and a lot of other teams) are going to be forced to throw the ball. And if my aging memory isn't failing me, the Bills already had the Jets passing game in turmoil.

The 2010 Dolphins could go either way, but I don't think they've improved enough to be unbeatable. NE appears to be in something of a decline which a newly aggressive and effective Bills defense could accelerate with one good hit on Brady. So, to me, the AFCE is wide open this year.

How can our offense exploit their defense? Two very strong one-on-one corners and a first round pick that was the best cover corner drafted. They put these guys on an island and put nine in the box.

Running against nine in the box is tough and passing against their corners might be pretty tough too.

Good special teams coach and special teams in general.

Good offensive line. Addition of Holmes adds speed to receiving corp.

I don't want to roll over here by any means but man they look tough.

I think the best way to match up against their defense is with two players already on the roster being productive: Spiller and Nelson. They seem to have all the main offensive targets locked down, but can they cover the TE (off the line or out of the slot) and can they stop the dumps (and hopefully the long runs that follow) to the RB? I think it might be telling that the Pats revamped their TE position this offseason (even though it was badly needed).

The only hope I see matching up our defense to their offense is if Sanchez plays like he did last year during the regular season. If he gets significantly better than last year, we'll have a tough time stopping that team.

The Jets biggest weakness at this point is....drum roll please.....MARK SANCHEZ...even though he picked up his play at the end of last year and in the playoffs his numbers were pretty dreadful last year. He did not have to win them any games last year, he was asked not to lose them. IMO, until he shows me any different, he is highly overrated. If the Jets are going to take it to the next level, Dirty Sanchez will have to win them a game or two.

The only ? is if we have a QB w/ the arm to go deep, b/c if you leave a cb on an island w/ Lee Evans he can get burned deep. I fully understood the straight line speed of Evans when he ran down Terrance Newman from behind (like Don Beebe chasing down Leon Lett) on that heartbreaking Monday night two yrs ago.

You still consider that a question?! Here's the answer for ya, "WE DON"T"!

Calling that "the only question" is like saying "I wanna live in Monte Carlo, the only problem is I don't have the money".