Are we going to run a spread?

Mickey

I have been trying to keep up with the team but work has been ridiculous. I am sure some of you guys have looked into this and can give me the facts. It seems to me like there is a good chance we are going to run one of the many variations there are of the spread offense. I appeal to the smart mob hereabouts, what if any credible sources have indicated that Chan is going with a spread here in Buffalo?

CJ is an ideal back for a spread as he can motion up to the line in the slot or as a WR on the edge. We could probably catch the defense in a mismatch not unlike we used to do with Thurman back in the stone age. That WR from UConn played in a spread and so did Levi. Gailey has run it and I think he did it with Thigpen in KC.

I don't know. Seems to me like there is at least a chance we are going to run a spread. I don't think our OL are all that massive that they wouldn't be able to handle it. Bell and Levitre especially are pretty agile.

For my contribution, here are some links on the spread offense, use of RB in the spread, etc.:

Use of RB as a threat in the Spread Off.

Pass Protection in the Spread

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our offense isn't working because we don't have the personnel. The same personnel in a different offense isn't going to give them more talent. I just don't see us having enough quality receivers, an effective offensive line (in any formation) or a quarterback who is going to make much of a difference. Better the devil we have and go and get qualified offensive linemen, and possibly even a quarterback. Spread offense, wildcat or wishbone isn't going to change the fact that we got no talent there.

Our offense isn't working because we don't have the personnel. The same personnel in a different offense isn't going to give them more talent. I just don't see us having enough quality receivers, an effective offensive line (in any formation) or a quarterback who is going to make much of a difference. Better the devil we have and go and get qualified offensive linemen, and possibly even a quarterback. Spread offense, wildcat or wishbone isn't going to change the fact that we got no talent there.

Couldn't disagree with you more. The same personnel in a different offense will not give them more talent but certainly can yield a very different product. A different scheme can definitely change results and in some instances hide the fact that we don't have as much talent as you'd prefer. That's why some coaches are better than others.

Our team right now is built to run. Chan said we will be utilizing a zone-blocking scheme, a-la denver when Shanahan was there. Not sure what else we will be using in our offense, but that's as far as we know.

I think that zone blocking is the scheme that is used in a spread offense:

A coach answers a question from a QB on the zone blocking schemes used in spread offenses

Couldn't disagree with you more. The same personnel in a different offense will not give them more talent but certainly can yield a very different product. A different scheme can definitely change results and in some instances hide the fact that we don't have as much talent as you'd prefer. That's why some coaches are better than others.

Nice post Kenny. It's all about getting the most out of your talent and putting them in a position to be successful.

A good coach uses his personnel in a system they can succeed in. I think he knows what he's doing. Why stay with something that doesn't work if you know it doesn't work?

I just looked for something that might confirm that the Bills are going to a spread but I couldn't find anything. I do seem to remember hearing it from a reliable source I just don't know where.

A good coach uses his personnel in a system they can succeed in. I think he knows what he's doing. Why stay with something that doesn't work if you know it doesn't work?

I just looked for something that might confirm that the Bills are going to a spread but I couldn't find anything. I do seem to remember hearing it from a reliable source I just don't know where.

Ask NEVERGIVEUP.

It would be in the Bills best interest if we didn't reveal our offensive strategy until game 1. Much like the wildcat, it gives defenses less time to adjust to what we're doing. And Gailey flat out said he wasn't going to show everything in preseason anyway.

i noticed on the main page they had an article on one of the o-line guys signed after the draft outta gt. he said that he thinks he has an advantage knowing gailys system coming into camp. not sure if he realy knows the offense yet but i really hope they r not installing the georgia tech offense. or maybe he is just talking about thier blocking schemes. what type of line play did they have running there?