Future for Maybin

So now that the draft is over, what do you think the Bills are going to do with Maybin?

Play him at OLB in the 3-4 or DE?

Do you think he will be a starter? He didn't really show much on the field last year, but maybe a change would do him good.

Aaron Maybin's long-term future is not in this league. My guess is someone will take a flier on him when we cut him following the 2012 season, realize that he's no good, and cut him before camp. Then he can tweet all he wants.

I just love to read "future" and "Maybin" in the same sentence.

I hope that his play rises to the level that would justify a future with the Bills.

I am pulling hard for Maybin to succeed also just for the sake of the team. However I hope that his probably short NFL career will serve as a huge lesson to the organization to go with players in the early rounds that have genuine college careers. Even good players that declare early struggle in the league, which is a possible reason that Clausen fell as far as he did. Most GMs shy away from QBs that declare early.

After assessing Maybin's game I'm of the belief that he's ill suited to play OLB in the 3-4. If we ran a 3-4 defense heading into the 2009 draft there is no chance Maybin would have been the pick because he does not fit in a 3-4 well. His outside speed rush is handled rather easily by NFL OT"s and he has yet to develop any type of counter moves to prssure the QB. Add to this the fact that Maybin is very slow to diagnose plays and is not good in coverage and I think he'll struggle big time at OLB.

Nix and Gailey will give Maybin a fair shake and hopefully he can contribute. I just don't see it panning out.

You nailed it! :P

Moving Maybin to OLB is an attempt to salvage something from a wasted pick and millions in lost $. He is going to have to work his everlovin' tail off just to get on the field. If he brings some value as a pass rusher he has a chance to stick but he hasn't been able to get that done yet. You can't hide an OLB that plays flat footed and can't cover. Maybe he and Erik Flowers can get together and open a bar.

Maybin is moving to a position in this defense to plays to his strong points...I actually think he has the potential to be a good player for us this year and have sort of a break out year considering how little he did last year.

Maybin is moving to a position in this defense to plays to his strong points...I actually think he has the potential to be a good player for us this year and have sort of a break out year considering how little he did last year.

Goody - him getting launched into the stands should make for good highlight film. :P

Maybin's only 22, the same age as most of this year's rookie class. He's got some growing up to do physically, emotionally, and intellectually if he's going to succeed. Will he do it? We'll get a pretty good idea this year. Did he make any impact last year? No, we can all agree on that.

In the meantime, I'm willing to cut the guy some slack. Him becoming an impact player on defense will help this team and in the end we'd all would like to see that happen. The 3-4 can create a lot of uncertainty and confusion for the offensive blocking schemes if employed correctly. That might play to his strengths and minimize his weaknesses (being engulfed by larger OT) displayed when coming off the line from the DE position.

IMO, labeliing him a bust is premature because he didn't play enough nor was he utilized very well last season by the previous coaching staff.

Aaron Maybin's long-term future is not in this league. My guess is someone will take a flier on him when we cut him following the 2012 season, realize that he's no good, and cut him before camp. Then he can tweet all he wants.

He is one of the youngest players in the league and was playing out of position for a coach and a DC who were too stupid to realize that. Hell even the guy who gives out the jersey numbers knew he was a LB and not a DE. He has the potential to be great. And for all those Orakpo lovers out there, more than half of his sacks came playing OLB not DE.

Maybin's only 22, the same age as most of this year's rookie class. He's got some growing up to do physically, emotionally, and intellectually if he's going to succeed. Will he do it? We'll get a pretty good idea this year. Did he make any impact last year? No, we can all agree on that.

In the meantime, I'm willing to cut the guy some slack. Him becoming an impact player on defense will help this team and in the end we'd all would like to see that happen. The 3-4 can create a lot of uncertainty and confusion for the offensive blocking schemes if employed correctly. That might play to his strengths and minimize his weaknesses (being engulfed by larger OT) displayed when coming off the line from the DE position.

IMO, labeliing him a bust is premature because he didn't play enough nor was he utilized very well last season by the previous coaching staff.

He got very limited playing time, under the previous regime. When they were hit by injuries - I thought he would get a bunch of playing time - but that didn't happen. I don't think they trusted him.

Something to ponder.

He has a lot to prove. So far, he's a 1st round draft queen.

He is one of the youngest players in the league and was playing out of position for a coach and a DC who were too stupid to realize that. Hell even the guy who gives out the jersey numbers knew he was a LB and not a DE. He has the potential to be great. And for all those Orakpo lovers out there, more than half of his sacks came playing OLB not DE.

Where did the other half of his sacks come from? Where did Maybin's sacks come from??

Where did the other half of his sacks come from? Where did Maybin's sacks come from??

There is no question Maybin was a disaster at DE and should never have been drafted to play DE. In retrospect obvioulsy Oher was the right move. With regard to Orakpo's sack total some did come playing DE but the skins realized early he was better suited to play OLB and moved him there. This is total conjecture but it looks like they think more of him at OLB than they do of Haynesworth at DT which may have factored into their decision to move to a 3-4..

Maybin is getting a new lease on his NFL career because last year proved that he was clearly too small for the DE in the 4-3. He will get two years to groom into a 3-4 OLB but with Nix I don't think starting is gaurenteed at all even going into this season. Maybin better work his butt off and try and make something out of himself in the 3-4 because this is his only real chance to make it in the NFL.

I really think this guy will emerge as a solid outside linebacker, he has the right size and all the tools necessary to perform well. There's no question he is too small for his drafted position.

all the tools??

he can't play straight ahead to defend the run.

let alone play in space and in reverse to cover the pass

the only "tool" he has is a quick first step, which is easily neutralized by his small size and bad technique

The truth is we just don'tknow. We have a lot of guys being "trained" to play the 3-4 who weren't drafted to play the 3-4 and might or might not be effective. How we think this is going to "stop the run" is beyond me. I always thought the big advantage of the 3-4 was that the linebackers were in a position for pass coverage. I think we'd have been better off bringing back the players who had been hurt, drafting a couple of very good defensive linemen and going with an improved 4-3. We had most of the personnel to be effective in that defense and could have addressed the problems in the draft.

staying with the 4-3 would not have given the Bills the convenient excuse to get rid of the contracts of Kelsay, Stroud and Schobel

let alone a built in excuse for winning no more than 4 games

There is no question Maybin was a disaster at DE and should never have been drafted to play DE. In retrospect obvioulsy Oher was the right move. With regard to Orakpo's sack total some did come playing DE but the skins realized early he was better suited to play OLB and moved him there. This is total conjecture but it looks like they think more of him at OLB than they do of Haynesworth at DT which may have factored into their decision to move to a 3-4..

Come on, man. Really? It's comments like these that make me lose respect for people.

1) Brian Orakpo did not designate the scheme for the Redskins. I can promise you that much.

2) Haynesworth was a monster last year. Up until a certain point, IIRC, Washington either had the number two defense in the league. I believe the only hundred yard rusher last year against Washington was Michael Turner. Individually Haynesworth had four sacks in addition to crushing the run. I hate to pull a Thurman #1, but there's this too: http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_positio...&numgames=1.

3) They moved to the 3-4 because Shanahan is infatuated with it and he's fully aware how bad his defenses have been in the recent years.

4) In retrospect it was the right move. At the time it was the obvious move too. Just not for Jauron/Brandon, etc.

I wanted Oreo last year instead of a DE. I always want them to draft offense, though.

It was bad enough when Oher looked good and Maybin looked awful - but not surprising in any way.

It was an extra kick in the nuts, though, when they made a special movie about Oher, with Sandra looking all fine.

Maybin is getting a new lease on his NFL career because last year proved that he was clearly too small for the DE in the 4-3. He will get two years to groom into a 3-4 OLB but with Nix I don't think starting is gaurenteed at all even going into this season. Maybin better work his butt off and try and make something out of himself in the 3-4 because this is his only real chance to make it in the NFL.

nix is not the head coach!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry i had to say that