• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

2009 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 71 | Key

Comment: Adams has a massive body with above-average athleticism and natural power. He's not an explosive blocker off the line of scrimmage, but can lock on and smother defenders with his length and strength. Adams has been notorious for holding calls and illegal procedure penalties and tends to guess as an edge blocker versus top defenders. He is best when he can engage his opponent early in the play and use his size to wall off defenders. He doesn't have great lateral agility to react effectively versus quick counter moves and isn't great on the second level. Adams has been playing with diminishing skills over the past few seasons and would likely be more effective at right tackle.

by contrast:

Grade: 74 | Key

Comment: Gaither is a young, ascending player and the Ravens' starting left tackle. He has tremendous size, particularly with his extreme height and overall length, to man the blind side. However, there are times when his high center of gravity is used against Gaither. Gaither remains a work in progress but is a punishing finisher in Baltimore's power blocking scheme. As he gains experience, his hand placement and understanding of his opponent will improve.

So people here advocate a 2nd round pick for Gaither who will demand $8-10M/year, instead of signing Flozell for a year or two and letting Bell/Meredith/Wang develop behind him even though Flozell is rated just under Gaither? Bizarre.

anyone find a link?

Find a link on what? It was on the NFL Network ten minutes ago. Want me to setup a webcam for you?

by contrast:

Grade: 74 | Key

Comment: Gaither is a young, ascending player and the Ravens' starting left tackle. He has tremendous size, particularly with his extreme height and overall length, to man the blind side. However, there are times when his high center of gravity is used against Gaither. Gaither remains a work in progress but is a punishing finisher in Baltimore's power blocking scheme. As he gains experience, his hand placement and understanding of his opponent will improve.

So people here advocate a 2nd round pick for Gaither who will demand $8-10M/year, instead of signing Flozell for a year or two and letting Bell/Meredith/Wang develop behind him even though Flozell is rated just under Gaither? Bizarre.

Find a link on what? It was on the NFL Network ten minutes ago. Want me to setup a webcam for you?

Stop gap. Adams is the answer for one year. We shouldn't overpay out of desperation (see Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery)

This would make Nix's draft make sense come to think of it. Maybe they targeted Okung or Trent Williams. If they fell to #9 they would've picked one of them. If not, don't reach for one.

I sound like a broken record but the more and more we hear about post-draft news, the more and more I believe the draft did fall as Nix envisioned and Adams or Gaither was in Nix's master plan.

I heard this earlier tonight. It's good that Nix is looking into the tackles that are available out there.

I hope Adams has enough in the tank left.

He's not getting any younger, and he's nothing more than a stop-gap to getting a better long term solution. That said, he's better right now than anything else we have.

This would make Nix's draft make sense come to think of it. Maybe they targeted Okung or Trent Williams. If they fell to #9 they would've picked one of them. If not, don't reach for one.

I sound like a broken record but the more and more we hear about post-draft news, the more and more I believe the draft did fall as Nix envisioned and Adams or Gaither was in Nix's master plan.

I hate to keep referencing it but, Nevergiveup mentioned that if one of the top 2 OTs fell to them at #9, they would have selected them there. If not, Spiller was going to be the selection.

If signing Adams aids in the development of a future LT that is on the team, I am all for it.

I hate to keep referencing it but, Nevergiveup mentioned that if one of the top 2 OTs fell to them at #9, they would have selected them there. If not, Spiller was going to be the selection.

If signing Adams aids in the development of a future LT that is on the team, I am all for it.

Agreed. Bell isn't good enough to be handed the job. Bring in Adams in the hope Bell improves and beats him out. If not, at least you have a veteran there.

Honestly this most likely means that the Bills aren't going to be trading for Gaither which was what I was hoping for. As far as Adams goes it would be good to have a vet anchor that spot for 8-11 games then if we are out of it go out and give Wang or Bell the spot for the last 8-5 games of the season.

Adams to me seems like a guy who can either squeak out a year of average LT production or be a disaster either way if the money is right take the chance we can't keep putting young LT's in compromised situations like we did with Bell last year.

Bills to add more OL help?

11:38AM ET

Buffalo Bills

Top Email

Prior to the draft, it was expected that the Buffalo Bills would emerge from the three-day extravaganza (if not the first night) with an offensive tackle to plug in to their lineup. Instead, they'll venture forth into the 2010 preseason with the same problem they had at the close of the 2009 season.

But there's a good chance that they're not yet done looking. For starters, they might take a look at veteran free agent Flozell Adams. Adams was one of the most-penalized linemen in the NFL, but he would be an upgrade from a skills standpoint. It's also possible that they re-examine trade discussions with the Baltimore Ravens for Jared Gaither. The draft came and went with Gaither still a member of the Ravens' team, but the Bills did investigate him a bit, per Pro Football Talk.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter brings up a key point in why Buffalo might have a difficult time attracting veteran free agents:

Adam Schefter

Re-building Bills are a tough sell

"If you're a veteran, and you've got one more chance at winning a Super Bowl, is Buffalo your choice? There aren't many worthy veteran offensive linemen out there. To find one willing to spend his last season with the Bills makes it even more challenging."

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter brings up a key point in why Buffalo might have a difficult time attracting veteran free agents:

Adam Schefter

Re-building Bills are a tough sell

"If you're a veteran, and you've got one more chance at winning a Super Bowl, is Buffalo your choice? There aren't many worthy veteran offensive linemen out there. To find one willing to spend his last season with the Bills makes it even more challenging."

You know, Schefter really seems to be going out of his way to insult Bills fans (recall the comments during the Cowher chase). He is challenging Mort for #1 douche over at ESPN.