Tony Washington

This kid is a beast and is on a lot of other teams forms... He is a Div 2 OT prospect that many considered to have a 1st or 2nd grade athletically... search his name and you will find out why he wasn't drafted, but keep in mind it was one mistake 8 years ago and the fact that he hasn't made another one I think tells you something ... The bills should bring him in and take a flyer on him.

I am personally disgusted on 'how holyer than tho' ralf and this whole organization operates (even though 'new' still smells like old)... The only reason the bills and most other NFL teams didn't send someone to his pro date (only a scout form the 'cow'boys attended) or try and sign the kid is because they are too lazy to come up with ideas of how to spin this story (ie. the changed man story) to the buffalo media...

Just some thoughts maybe someone might take notice... last time i checked we need offensive line man we where pretty thin last year.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kid is a beast and is on a lot of other teams forms... He is a Div 2 OT prospect that many considered to have a 1st or 2nd grade athletically... search his name and you will find out why he wasn't drafted, but keep in mind it was one mistake 8 years ago and the fact that he hasn't made another one I think tells you something ... The bills should bring him in and take a flyer on him.

I am personally disgusted on 'how holyer than tho' ralf and this whole organization operates (even though 'new' still smells like old)... The only reason the bills and most other NFL teams didn't send someone to his pro date (only a scout form the 'cow'boys attended) or try and sign the kid is because they are too lazy to come up with ideas of how to spin this story (ie. the changed man story) to the buffalo media...

Just some thoughts maybe someone might take notice... last time i checked we need offensive line man we where pretty thin last year.

Don't worry the Bills don't need offensive lineman. I mean come on with Trent and Fitz back at QB who cares if they go down. Buddy and Chan don't care.

I was wondering where he was drafted but now I know. I heard of him before the draft and they were saying 2nd or 3rd round. It is a very strange and sad story. I think in a league where guys have been conficted of a lot worse and are still playing and a QB in Pitt has been accused twice of sexual misconduct within the last 12 months there could be a place for an apparent one time offender, especially one that was when the guy was 16.

Don't worry the Bills don't need offensive lineman. I mean come on with Trent and Fitz back at QB who cares if they go down. Buddy and Chan don't care.

we are running a check down offense next year, as evident by how we drafted and the various interviews I have listened to on buffaobills.com (even though most fans don't want to)... smash mouth baby! next year we will attempt to run the ball, stop the run and only throw the ball 5 yards (just what 'trent'itive does so well)... therefore we need all the offensive 'big men' we can get

A very sad story. On one hand you can say a young kid made a very bad mistake. On the other, wow, there are just some things in life you have to know are just plain wrong. Assuming the league said no to his entry, they are right that their image is in severe need of clean-up. They have a very difficult challenge. On the field they want aggressive violent men. Off the field they need them to be model citizens. Arguably a very tough balance to maintain.

i dont think its the bills worrying about him being able to keep himself in line... He's been clean since that incident and it was consensual anyways. either way, i think the real issue is how other guys in the locker room will treat a guy like that

Maybe it's just that we have plenty of developmental prospects at OT? If we have one more roster spot it would likely go to a veteran to man the LT position for a year until one of the prospects pans out.

Incest is a difficult thing to understand. Even more difficult when you consider the fact that it was consensual. Mind blowingly confusing. Were the two full blooded siblings? Were they raised under the same household? In a league where accused rapists, murderers, and dog murderers roam, everyone is entitled to a second chance. I think if front offices thought the guy could be a special player, then he would be on a roster by now. Anything less than a special player, it just wouldn't be worth the negative press.

Incest is a difficult thing to understand. Even more difficult when you consider the fact that it was consensual. Mind blowingly confusing. Were the two full blooded siblings? Were they raised under the same household? In a league where accused rapists, murderers, and dog murderers roam, everyone is entitled to a second chance. I think if front offices thought the guy could be a special player, then he would be on a roster by now. Anything less than a special player, it just wouldn't be worth the negative press.

Well the popular opinion seems to be that Washington would have been a 1st or 2nd round pick had he not have that incest thing hanging over his head (As well as the fact that he isn't the smartest guy in the world). HOWEVER he played in a small school (Division 2) which meant that even without the registered sex offender status he would have likely been a late 2th to early 4th round selection.

If Washington had played at LSU (Which is were he was recruited to go but his grades forced him to Junior College and then to Division 2) and displayed the same athletic ability he would have likely went in the 2nd or late 1st. So I would take Tony Washington on my team he has too much raw skill not to take a zero investment chance on.

HOWEVER I don't think that Tony Washington if he were added to the roster today is our best LT. Guys like Wang and Bell have similar raw potential without the head case (Which even if Washington was a little better athletically which he might be makes it kind of a wash).

So yeah take the chance but know that Washington from a pure football perspective has some concerns attached to him.

The guy is trying to get his s**t together, if you read his story. I don't understand why a team won't take a flyer on him.

I have read his story, and while he may be trying to get his act together, it's troubling that he doesn't realize that what he did is even wrong. He said in team interviews at the combine something to the effect that it's common where he comes from :lol:

There isn't a positive way to spin this story. If he had been sixteen and had sex with his fifteen year old girlfriend the PR department could do something with that. Having sex with your sister is a PR nightmare. You have to remember that Bills fans have a lot of kids and as a parent I wouldn't want to explain about what he did. There would be a lot of people who'd walk away. JMO

As for BR he's been in the league a long time and his sex abuse case isn't the only thing they know about him. I think people are more forgiving of those they know already than those they don't know. Also, Pittsburgh didn't draft him after this stuff came to light. Bringing a registered sex offender into the community is a tall order to begin with. Then add it was his sister and the order becomes impossible, IMO.

His sister said it was consensual and I don't know if it was or wasn't but I'm pretty sure that's what she'd have said either way. She still had to be in the same house with him and so there is the worry she may change her story in the future.

Then you have to consider the fans reactions at the road games and the home games. If this guy was the best LT to ever come out of college it might help him but he's not. He's not worth the all the negative baggage he brings with him. As of right now I don't know of any team that's signed him. I think that says a lot.

less "how holyer than tho" than not wanting to pay for a mistake by a player that has alreasy made one - that is exactly the gamble since the new commish to over - ref: see steelers fine of $200,000.00 for roth's lack of knowing that no means no

The incident happened over seven years ago when Washington was a teenager.

It was reportedly consensual, not rape.

It is also reported that he maintains a familial relationship with his sister.

It is a fact that he complied with all the requirements imposed on him by the courts.

Now his whole career is on hold because of this incident that happened that long ago?

In all of these cases, the first question is, does the punishment fit the crime?

Would it be a fair punishment if he were deprived of his chosen career for the rest of his life?

I wonder how many teams interviewed him and how those interviews went.

It's been a bit of a mild surprise that Washington wasn't drafted.

He was rated on most of the draft boards that we all saw.

That he has not signed anywhere is somewhat unexpected, IMO.

I think that rather than exhibiting moral courage, that the NFL teams which took him off their boards solely on the basis of this incident are showing a lack of moral courage. They are afraid to deal with the backlash and questions. They are acting cowardly.

Washington has paid his debt. He will live with the stigma forever. He will be reminded of this transgression by fans on a weekly basis if ever he plays in the NFL.

Is it hard for us to believe that he may be rehabilitated and could perhaps redeem himself?

If I owned a sports team, I would have interviewed and evaluated Washington and if he seemed like he was mentally stable, I would give him a chance to make my team.