1st and 2nd round shockers....

In order to rationalize our shocking 2nd round pick, Torell Troup, I thought it would be helpful if we could possibly come up with a list of 1st and 2nd rounders that went way higher than expected yet still succeeded in the NFL.

I'll start it off...No one ever heard of Henry Jones until we drafted him, and he fulfilled his draft status. And I remember Polian took Dwight Freeny about ten picks higher than expected. I know Troup went about 40 picks higher than expected, but I'll still count Freeny. That's it, I'm done, any help?

In order to rationalize our shocking 2nd round pick, Torell Troup, I thought it would be helpful if we could possibly come up with a list of 1st and 2nd rounders that went way higher than expected yet still succeeded in the NFL.

I'll start it off...No one ever heard of Henry Jones until we drafted him, and he fulfilled his draft status. And I remember Polian took Dwight Freeny about ten picks higher than expected. I know Troup went about 40 picks higher than expected, but I'll still count Freeny. That's it, I'm done, any help?

based on the run on DT's in rd 2 I dont think we reached for troup at all. The same draftniks that tell you troup went to high were the ones screaming for cam thomas or carlos dunlap, and you see where they got drafted. We needed an anchor for the 3-4 and we got it with troup, so what is there to rationalize?

These fantasy scouts (Mel, Nawrocki) put together boards based on each other's boards. That's why they all look alike. And that's why ESPN reports "reaches" to us who have equally identical and uninformed "draft boards"....and we eat it up.

I would guess that "reaches" have the same bust factor as a "value" pick.

It depends on what you mean by where they are "expected" to be drafted.

We never see NFL teams draft boards so we can only go by the goof balls on TV and on line.

And they know about as much as we do.

Yeah, because we talk to NFL scouts and watch hours and hours of game film just like they do.

based on the run on DT's in rd 2 I dont think we reached for troup at all. The same draftniks that tell you troup went to high were the ones screaming for cam thomas or carlos dunlap, and you see where they got drafted. We needed an anchor for the 3-4 and we got it with troup, so what is there to rationalize?

Absolutely!

Once those big guys start going off the board, you have got to strike!

Funny about Cam Thomas and guys like that, who drop down several rounds --- b b but my MOCK DRAFT said he was better than Troup! Auggghhh!!!

Absolutely!

Once those big guys start going off the board, you have got to strike!

Funny about Cam Thomas and guys like that, who drop down several rounds --- b b but my MOCK DRAFT said he was better than Troup! Auggghhh!!!

Yeah but, we started the run and I can only think of two guys who proved them wrong. How about you?

Yeah but, we started the run and I can only think of two guys who proved them wrong. How about you?

What evidence do you have that Troup would have not been selected until at least 40 picks later?

IIRC John Fina had a late 2nd early 3rd round "grade" we drafted in late 1st round. He had a nice 10+ year career. Same can not be said of one Eirc Flowers.

Yeah, because we talk to NFL scouts and watch hours and hours of game film just like they do.

I'd bet a huge majority of them do not do either of those things. Outside of handful of guys, all the pre-draft nonsense is just crap thrown against a wall.

What evidence do you have that Troup would have not been selected until at least 40 picks later?

Draft magazines, ESPN etc. that's the point of my post, Are the magazines etc. routinely wrong when they proclaim a big reach.

I was a hoping a real draftnik might read this post and shed some light on the subject. I used to be pretty addicted, when the BILLS were good, but after all the horrible years, I lost interest. Not only that, I can't seem to remember the old days too well....(must be my Buffalo upbringig)

Note: I give Brian Galliford at Buffalo Rumblings a lot of credit, it's kinda easy IMO to write daily about a well-run organization, but to write daily about the Bills and to try to be positive to boot, that's as hard as HELL!

ATTABOY BRIAN GALLIFORD!

GO BILLS!

I, for one, would not call Fina a success...

GO BILLS!

Why not? He was very solid, came up at guard and moved to LT within a few years. Played injured and played hard and lasted for 10 years. I think many coaches and players would disagree with the "fans" that did not like him.

He was another Polian pick by the way.

I wouldn't call the pick "shocking".

Troup was a consensus 2nd or more likely, 3rd round pick. It was not that shocking. I realize that if we would've taken Cam Thomas, because he was in more mock drafts on here, that it would have been an awesome pick, right? What round did he end up going in?

Why not? He was very solid, came up at guard and moved to LT within a few years. Played injured and played hard and lasted for 10 years. I think many coaches and players would disagree with the "fans" that did not like him.

He was another Polian pick by the way.

My thought exactly. He wasn't an all-pro but very steady and reliable.

The ones that come to mind for me are:

Edgerrin James (Indy reached over Ricky Williams which NO traded their entire draft for, while having Marshall Faulk)

Phillip Rivers (SD reached over Big Ben, after trading Eli Manning)

Both were shocking at the time because they should have traded down... or at least more controversial than taking say.. Troupe over Cody

Troup was a consensus 2nd or more likely, 3rd round pick. It was not that shocking. I realize that if we would've taken Cam Thomas, because he was in more mock drafts on here, that it would have been an awesome pick, right? What round did he end up going in?

Consensus according to who? Mel Kiper?

For all we know, he could've been given a 1st round grade by the majority of teams, and we ended getting an incredible value here :P

Here is some deep thinking for everyone. If we had drafted Cam Thomas in the 2nd round, everyone would have said it was a solid pick there, as he was projected as a round 2 guy. But he didn't actually get drafted until the 5th round. So not knowing how everyone else felt about Thomas, he would have been a major reach in round 2, and we never would have known it.....So how can anyone say anyone is a "reach."

Here is some deep thinking for everyone. If we had drafted Cam Thomas in the 2nd round, everyone would have said it was a solid pick there, as he was projected as a round 2 guy. But he didn't actually get drafted until the 5th round. So not knowing how everyone else felt about Thomas, he would have been a major reach in round 2, and we never would have known it.....So how can anyone say anyone is a "reach."

This is the most valid point in the thread.

I'd bet a huge majority of them do not do either of those things. Outside of handful of guys, all the pre-draft nonsense is just crap thrown against a wall.

...and/or regurgiated from other sources. Like the moron who a year ago projected Jevan Snead as the #1 overall pick.

And how many conversations with NFL GMs did Kiper have before declaring Clausen a top 5 pick? Or all the other guys he had as first round picks that fell as far as the fourth round (Griffen, Kindle, Campbell, etc.)?

Mock drafts and draft grades are something fun to talk about when training camp is still months away, but it is nothing but a huge pile of steaming crap.

The ones that come to mind for me are:

Edgerrin James (Indy reached over Ricky Williams which NO traded their entire draft for, while having Marshall Faulk)

Phillip Rivers (SD reached over Big Ben, after trading Eli Manning)

Both were shocking at the time because they should have traded down... or at least more controversial than taking say.. Troupe over Cody

The only thing shocking about Troupe going ahead of Cody is that anyone anywhere had Cody as the better player. Troupe's by far the better player by any measure of season-long production if for no other reason than he can stay on the field for the entire game. The guy is a workout monster whereas Cody's program seems to be to eat all day long, then play a thrid to a half of the snaps on gameday.

BTW, it's reported that Troupe's already at 320 lbs. I wouldn't be surprised if he could add another ten or fifteen pounds and still be very effective.

Bottom line, Cody's out of the league within 5 years and Troupe's a perennial all-pro.