What you want from Buffalo Bills coverage/talk

Good luck, Nick.

Thanks for reaching out to us.

I would say two things, both having to do with increasing the substance that one generally gets from talk radio hosts.

1) Well-researched topics. Nothing is more bothersome to a hard-core sports fan than listening to a radio talk show host who is not as fanatic and well-versed on the subjects as the listener himself. The stuff doesn't have to be committed to memory but at least have lots of source material to reference.

I was listening to (I think) a nationally syndicated radio sports show yesterday. Some guy who calls himself "V."

He wanted fans to call in and talk about their favorite NFL team's draft and whether they liked it or not and why. It became clear after about one minute that the guy not only didn't have much knowledge of the draft/players/teams, etc...but he also didn't know what NFL teams drafted which players. Sure the memory can only hold so much but at the very least he might have supplied himself with some draft materials so he could actually conduct a professional show. It was pitiful and if I was the program director, I would have hammered his ass.

Bring a laptop into the studio with you. Look things up. Nothing pisses me off more than cavalier, indifferent, casual commentary. If you don't know a fact that is pertinent to the discussion, look it up on the internet. Look it up during breaks and follow up on it in the next segment.

2) Develop good sources and go-to guests. There are radio hosts, even in small markets, who have the moxy and resourcefulness to develop nationally prominent regular guests. You define yourself professionally in everything you do. If you are hard-working, resourceful, conscientious and have integrity, you can develop a great network of "expert guests" to share with your listeners.

The people in WNY are starved for good, intelligent sports talk. It shouldn't be that difficult to deliver, IMO. If you demonstrate excellence, the listeners will find you. Then it's a win-win-win for the station, its listeners, and your career.

Good luck and thanks again, Nick.

As others have stated get knowledgeable guests who can give candid insights into how the sports' teams are performing and run. Basically, I am asking for outside voices on how the local teams are performing.

If your radio show is primarily a call-in show it will be atrociously bad. The majority of calls are moronic. You will find that few calls are coherent and make much sense. I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't solicit the opinions of the audience, just don't over do it. A radio host attempting to respond to some obtuse point and remain polite is very awkard in itself.

As a radio host you need to be who you are and don't try to be someone who you are not. Phonies have a very short self life for radio listeners.

Best of luck in your new endeavor.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Don't use drama to create ratings. Others have mentioned it in this thread, but yelling for the sake of yelling is pointless. Disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing is pointless. You provide nothing to the discussion. Ratings might be great, but you will be nothing more than the other hacks who do that on their shows.

-Educate the listeners. Tell them why things are happening. Prove that you know what you are talking about. Make sure your listeners will always come away with something new when they listen to your show. Make your listeners more informed after your show than before.

-Don't rely on stats too much to prove a point. Stats without context are meaningless. This isn't fantasy football. If all you do is look in an encyclopedia (or sites like Pro Football Reference) to determine who is a better player, don't even bother. Your opinion is worthless.

-Pet Peeve Alert: By all means, never use "all-time" when referring to something that only has a one or two year frame of reference. If you do not know the history or are not including all of history, "all-time" does not apply. As a football historian, I will discount your opinion immediately if your frame of reference is too small.

Hey Nick, I'm a big fan of the columns you wrote for wgr and I'll think you'll do great in your new gig. I know it's hard sometimes but try not to stray from sports. The crap they do at wgr with the country draft and all that dumb stuff is insane. No one cares. Even when both the sabres and bills are in the offseason there are still other sports you can talk about and things going on in sports that can be talked about. I want to hear about sports, and if it strays away it better be about at least an athlete (Tigers Incident). I can't wait to tune into your show because I'd rather ram my head into a wall than listen to Schopp and The Bulldog.

Nick,

Thanks for asking.

Be more like Simon and less like Schopp. I listened to Schopp in Rochester (first time around) and Buffalo and stopped listening in both cities. He hates his job and holds fans in disdain and likes to beat up less learned callers. He's a punk and makes it sound like he's doing us a favor by broadcasting. Bulldog on his own is fine but puts his manhood in a blind trust with Schopp and agrees with whatever stupid thing Schopp says and laps like a cartoon dog.

I don't mind honest criticism, but be balanced. Jerry Sullivan makes some good points, but he is incapable of ever saying anything positive. He drips negativity - sees the worst in everything and begins each day in a downward spiral. I think he sees his role as p*ssing in everyone's cheerios daily. I sometimes wonder if he ever has a good day in his life. I can't imagine his family life, everyone probably stays in their rooms and mopes.

That's too bad because it makes me less open to Sullivan's sometimes spot-on criticisims and views. So, be tough, fair, a fan at heart and just don't be a d*ck.

Hey guys and girls,

Some of you may know me, and some not. My name is Nick Mendola. I used to work at WGR, but recently left to work at WECK. One of my new duties will be hosting a night show when the Yankees aren't on. I'm extremely fired up about this. In fact, I wish I could've made the switch earlier to a Day Two of the draft show.

Anyway, I know you folks have a lot of strong opinions about talk radio. I'm dedicated to doing my show right, so I wanted to ask what you think is missing when it comes to sports radio. The good, the bad, the ugly... give it to me. I'm a big Bills fan but also try hard to be an unbiased reporter (which is near impossible. Probably makes me TOO hard on them, as Steve Tasker once opined about doing color commentary during Bills games).

Finally, if you're interested at all in what inspired my job switch, I've posted an entry at http://www.nickmendola.com

At the site, you can also read my thoughts on all the draft shenanigans. Love some of the picks, worried about some of the others (Very intrigued by Arthur Moats!).

Thanks for the space,

Nick Mendola

nickonweck@gmail.com

just don't be a fake douchbag like most hosts

I wouldn't take the don't talk about football thing too much to heart. You are asking a very narrow audience of listeners who put a higher emphasis on Bills talk. Sure, that's what we may be listening to you for, but most listeners don't mind if you have a little fun.

Definitely do not do a story to death. On a national stage, I am sick of the constant Tiger Woods talk.

Give me reasoned, informative discussions, as I suspect you will, and I'll listen. Think the Sabres beat writers could be an untapped resource if any of them are interested in doing a regularly-scheduled segment. I'm not even a Sabres fan, but I miss listening to Jim Kelley on the old WNSA "Sharpshooters" segments. Sully has his opinion, which is fine, but the beat guys bring the knowledge.

(Along the same lines, a shameless plug: give Chuck Pollock a call for Bills talk, and I'll guarantee you a listen.)

Another point: given your other interests, go easy on the sports-only suggestion. WGR is (allegedly) a sports station. You don't have to be. I think Brad is enjoying his job more, now that he no longer has to limit himself mainly to sportstalk. (Of course, that doesn't mean that you can go away from it completely, because that's how most of your established audience knows you.)

Think of it like making the jump from beat writer to columnist. Sure, you'll need to have and share your opinions on relevant local stories -- but after that, you pick what you get to cover. Cool, eh?

More weather updates. And, oh yeah, ANY information on WNY livestock auctions would be appreciated. Kind of animal doesn't matter.

Seriously, Nick, let the show come to you and just make it your own. You've got the moxie and the experience to stear the ship as the show evolves. Good luck!

GO BILLS!!!

P.S. Did I mention rodeo information? Can't get enough of that. I think there is a sizeable, albeit quiet, rodeo audience just waiting to be tapped into.

well you took a smart first step.you asked what people think.....my pet peeve is when sports hosts are either uninformed

or too lazy to do research on the topic there talking about,,when that happens I turn the channel or the radio

off..listeners are not nearly as stupid as they are treated at many stations,''''''your former employer made a

art form out of stupidity on so many topics they made themselves irrelevent..no one exspects the host to know it all,so just

dont act like you do and youll be fine. :thumbsup:

Congrats on the new job.

I'd recommend ocassionally talking about something in sports other than the Bills and Sabres. It's a big sports world out there - - baseball, basketball, golf, MMA/ boxing, tennis, etc. But keep it sports related - not actors, not your wife and kids, and definitely not 10 opinions that no one cares about anyway.

Be sure to bring Dirk with you, always an entertaining bit. Just embrace the opportunity you have to be something different than the other voice in town. I could always tell you were operating on a little bit different frequency than the rest of the morning show, definetely tap into that aspect more.

I wouldn't take the don't talk about football thing too much to heart. You are asking a very narrow audience of listeners who put a higher emphasis on Bills talk. Sure, that's what we may be listening to you for, but most listeners don't mind if you have a little fun.

Definitely do not do a story to death. On a national stage, I am sick of the constant Tiger Woods talk.

This is very true. Most people who opine on this board about sports talk want more Xs and Os. I am a huge talk radio listener, and nothing would bore me to death more.........And, somebody up above said they don't want opinions, they want facts........I couldn't disagree more. I want opinions. I could look up facts in two seconds. In fact, I love Ten Opinions in a Row on your old station.

I really think the two best sports/general interest shows out there are Brad's and Tony Kornheiser's. Neither one bores you with player interviews. Even Schoop admitted last year - who wants to hear another Sabre get interviewed before a game.........They both talk mainly sports, but a lot of pop culture and top news stuff.

I've heard you talk about being on the road as a musician and I would rather hear about that than how the Sabres penalty kill is doing in February.

:flirt:

Best advice yet. I tried to talk Andy into dumping his show in favor of local programming, but I think GR is contractually obligated to carry it.

For those of you asking about streaming -- yes, WECK has a Webcast:

http://lightningstream.surfernetwork.com/M...n%201230%20WECK

I guess I'm the only one who likes "Cowhead." However, I'm glad Nick won't be having Mike Schlepp on his show! Good luck, Nick. We look forward to your show.

Too bad we can't hear it on radio waves up here in Southwestern Ontario.

Congrats on the new show.

As other psoters have said, I think you should get the best guests on the show you can. Leading up to the season, you could bring on guests knowledgeable about the other teams in the division and anyone else who could give you a more general view of the Bills and what they need to do to compete this year. Duing the season then maybe focus on people who write/talk/etc in the market of the team we are going to play that week.

The ebst would be to focus on the Bills and what they are doing. As faras this goes, the tone that I find most agreeable on talk radio is one of causious optimism - center right. You need to point out the flaws and call them out at times, but you need to avoid falling into the pit of just bashing everything the team does and getting down on the whole situation we have here - or using that as an excuse. Point out the flaws, say what you think needs to be done to fix them, and try to understand what the Bills are doing on their end and relay that to the listeners. People want to know why the Bills are doing what they are doing (or get more information on it at least) and then make their own judgements on those actions - not have you tell them that everything is hopeless and the people working for the Bills are idiots.

This is very true. Most people who opine on this board about sports talk want more Xs and Os. I am a huge talk radio listener, and nothing would bore me to death more.........And, somebody up above said they don't want opinions, they want facts........I couldn't disagree more. I want opinions. I could look up facts in two seconds. In fact, I love Ten Opinions in a Row on your old station.

I really think the two best sports/general interest shows out there are Brad's and Tony Kornheiser's. Neither one bores you with player interviews. Even Schoop admitted last year - who wants to hear another Sabre get interviewed before a game.........They both talk mainly sports, but a lot of pop culture and top news stuff.

I've heard you talk about being on the road as a musician and I would rather hear about that than how the Sabres penalty kill is doing in February.

Player interviews, I think, depend on the player's on-air personality. If it's someone like Marty Biron or Ruben Brown, cool. OTOH, I'm guessing The Marshawn Lynch Show would be ... difficult.

And we really need to get JW on there talking about music. :flirt:

I guess I'm the only one who likes "Cowhead." However, I'm glad Nick won't be having Mike Schlepp on his show! Good luck, Nick. We look forward to your show.

Too bad we can't hear it on radio waves up here in Southwestern Ontario.

Yeah, I can't stand WGR, but can't pull in WECK. Have tried often. Get a better transmitter and then ditch the hockey love. We are football fans.

Yeah, I can't stand WGR, but can't pull in WECK. Have tried often. Get a better transmitter and then ditch the hockey love. We are football fans.

I can't get WECK on the radio either, but they stream online. In fact, I'm listening to them stream right now.