The Bills rebuild will take

I have been a long time loyal fan. Born in 58 so I can remember the the 65 championship team. I try to be patient and positive with this team. I still think the way to build a great team is slowly and mostly by the draft.

I am concerned are things seem to be moving very slowly, sometimes not moving forward at all.

Main points --- Ralph swallows his pride and a whole lot of money when he fires Jauron. There is big talk of a new regime, top notch football people and coaches are on the way. Enter Buddy Nix, a great scout who has never run a team as "the man". Now I like Buddy a lot but he has never been the man until now. Next enter Chan Gailey who might become one of the better coaches we have had in 50+ years of existence, but still .. not an inspiring choice like a Gruden, Shananhan, or even Marty Shottenheimer.

Our needs are plenty and obvious. QB, LT, WR, NT, DE, LB, and depth everywhere.

Free egency - So far we have added a DE and an LB to play a new defensive scheme, the 3-4, a scheme that is going to cause an overhaul of the front 7 (thankfully). We add a mediocre RT to replecae an average RT. That is about it. I understand that pickings are slim in the free agent market and the way to build is through the draft.

The Draft:

1. We draft Spiller to replace Lynch who replaced McGahee, who replaced Henry, who replaced Antowain Smith. We have spent some premium pick on RB in the past decade.

2. We draft a NT and a DE. I like both picks and I hope the NT can play from day 1. The DE will need some seasoning and was drafted for depth.

3. A fourth round WR that is a project. We need to go back to free agency and bring in a smart veteran who knows how to get open. Hardy and Johnson are unproven. Evans is solid but has trouble getting open when doubled, and he is always doubled.

4. Finally address LT at round 5 and this guy may be a steal but he is going to take time. No immediate help here. Bell is the best we have and I am worried about that.

5. Remaining rounds are all development players, special teamers and depth players. Could be some gems but no immediate help.

So, the draft is past and for all the needs -- QB, LT, WR, NT, DE, LB, and depth everywhere -- What have we really addressed?

QB. No

LT. No. Wang will need a year and then maybe.

WR. No.

NT. Sort of. We have a rotation now of Kyle Williams and the rookie.

DE. We added one proven player in free agency and one rookie to the mix of Stroud and Spencer Johnson.

LB. One proven ILB in free agency and a few project rookies for the outside.

Can't help but thinking we actually regress to 4 or 5 wins this year. A lot depends on how the OL holds up and whether we have a QB on the roster afterall.

This looks like a 3 year rebuild. If we start over at QB next year then maybe more. Building slow may be the right way, I sure hope Buddy and Chan are up to the task.

I am more optimistic this year might be rough, the division is loaded and games against green bay, Minny and Baltimore could be rough. How ever another good offseason could put them in the playoff race in year two and by year three they should be on their way to a nice run .

Why 3 years when teams like Miami go from 1-15 to the AFC East crown in one year?

PTR

Its the NFL anything can happen. Also this team is built a lot like the Fins team was on the defensive side of the ball at least. We are team who played a soft 4-3 coming off a piss poor year in the department of stopping the run. Now we wanted to take our 4-3 parts and convert them to the 3-4.

We went with a combination of smart vet 3-4 pickups in free agency (Davis and Edwards) and upper round picks to add in more talent along the D-line (Carrington and Troup) and make our team more suited to play the 3-4. Our offense has some parts but is a mess as far as O-line QB and WR (Outside of Lee Evans of course) go. So all in all we are a year away on the offensive side of the ball to be a real competitive team but with a D with a very good secondary and a competent Front 7 we look to have a punchers chance.

I don't claim to have a clue who it might be, but I have to believe the Bills are still looking for another tackle, preferably one that can man the left side, even if only for a year or two. A trade or a camp/preseason cut is still out there.

I don't claim to have a clue who it might be, but I have to believe the Bills are still looking for another tackle, preferably one that can man the left side, even if only for a year or two. A trade or a camp/preseason cut is still out there.

+1..

There is plenty of time before the season to pick up another tackle and/or work some trades..

I have been a long time loyal fan. Born in 58 so I can remember the the 65 championship team. I try to be patient and positive with this team. I still think the way to build a great team is slowly and mostly by the draft.

I am concerned are things seem to be moving very slowly, sometimes not moving forward at all.

Main points --- Ralph swallows his pride and a whole lot of money when he fires Jauron. There is big talk of a new regime, top notch football people and coaches are on the way. Enter Buddy Nix, a great scout who has never run a team as "the man". Now I like Buddy a lot but he has never been the man until now. Next enter Chan Gailey who might become one of the better coaches we have had in 50+ years of existence, but still .. not an inspiring choice like a Gruden, Shananhan, or even Marty Shottenheimer.

Our needs are plenty and obvious. QB, LT, WR, NT, DE, LB, and depth everywhere.

Free egency - So far we have added a DE and an LB to play a new defensive scheme, the 3-4, a scheme that is going to cause an overhaul of the front 7 (thankfully). We add a mediocre RT to replecae an average RT. That is about it. I understand that pickings are slim in the free agent market and the way to build is through the draft.

The Draft:

1. We draft Spiller to replace Lynch who replaced McGahee, who replaced Henry, who replaced Antowain Smith. We have spent some premium pick on RB in the past decade.

2. We draft a NT and a DE. I like both picks and I hope the NT can play from day 1. The DE will need some seasoning and was drafted for depth.

3. A fourth round WR that is a project. We need to go back to free agency and bring in a smart veteran who knows how to get open. Hardy and Johnson are unproven. Evans is solid but has trouble getting open when doubled, and he is always doubled.

4. Finally address LT at round 5 and this guy may be a steal but he is going to take time. No immediate help here. Bell is the best we have and I am worried about that.

5. Remaining rounds are all development players, special teamers and depth players. Could be some gems but no immediate help.

So, the draft is past and for all the needs -- QB, LT, WR, NT, DE, LB, and depth everywhere -- What have we really addressed?

QB. No

LT. No. Wang will need a year and then maybe.

WR. No.

NT. Sort of. We have a rotation now of Kyle Williams and the rookie.

DE. We added one proven player in free agency and one rookie to the mix of Stroud and Spencer Johnson.

LB. One proven ILB in free agency and a few project rookies for the outside.

Can't help but thinking we actually regress to 4 or 5 wins this year. A lot depends on how the OL holds up and whether we have a QB on the roster afterall.

This looks like a 3 year rebuild. If we start over at QB next year then maybe more. Building slow may be the right way, I sure hope Buddy and Chan are up to the task.

Umm Bob. New coaching staff! We need to bottom out, but your analysis is faulty. Hopefully, Nix hired the right coach to train them. From what I heard, Gailey is the real deal, but we shall see.

QB: We got 4, there was nothing better. All 4 of these guys will battle it out. I want to see who comes out of this new offense

LT: Bell wasn't that bad, got hurt. Kid has a ton of potential. Interior line is fine.

WR: Hardy(I love this kid), Johnson, Jackson: I think Hardy will surprise.

NT:Troupe, Williams: People forget McCargo. He may be a 1st round bust, but he shows some flashes. Interesting to see his 5 gap DE.

DE: Way better!!! Not even a question.

LB: Agree, this will be interesting

Anyway, its a rebuilding period, but it looks like there is a plan for once!

I hope you guys had chance to read this article posted in one of the other threads:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/4/25/...m-san#storyjump

Interesting article, but I would say a couple of things in response.

The article seems to say that San Diego didn't have a left tackle till they drafted Oben. That's not really true. Their LT, Damian McIntosh, was pretty good, but he couldn't stay healthy. That's why they replaced him. He was far better than anything we have. He played most of the games every season, but missed two to five for two or three years in a row. They had a very good LT, and got Oben only after they realized that McIntosh couldn't stay healthy. McIntosh was a third-rounder drafted in Nix's (Butler's) first draft. That's a key difference.

Also, San Diego had a major advantage in terms of draft position. They had the first overall pick. They then made a brilliant trade, trading back from #1 to #5 and getting Atlanta's third, second the next year and Tim Dwight. Then they picked up LaDainian Tomlinson (major parallel with Buffalo this year) and in the second got Drew Brees (not so much).

And they also already had Junior Seau, Rodney Harrison and Jamal Williams on the team. That is a major major advantage. We don't have anything similar.

It took them several seasons to whip them into a contending team, and that is the best parallel that can be drawn.

Umm Bob. New coaching staff! We need to bottom out, but your analysis is faulty. Hopefully, Nix hired the right coach to train them. From what I heard, Gailey is the real deal, but we shall see.

QB: We got 4, there was nothing better. All 4 of these guys will battle it out. I want to see who comes out of this new offense

I bet that Kool-Aid tasted good. Clausen may have slipped, but he was a better in college than anyone on the Bills has shown themselves to be in college or the pros. He played in a pro-style system.

Just because we didn't pick him didn't mean we made the right choice. We'll have a long way to go before we see that. IMHO not picking him in the second will come back to haunt us.

LT: Bell wasn't that bad, got hurt. Kid has a ton of potential. Interior line is fine.

This point about Bell having talent ... not so much.

Check out profootballfocus.com, seriously. Bell is, per game played, the worst tackle in the league, BY FAR. His final ranking, per game, was about 28% worse than the next worst tackle.

This guy may be good two or three years down the road but he was absolutely horrible last year.

WR: Hardy(I love this kid), Johnson, Jackson: I think Hardy will surprise.

Well, surprise is right because he has shown absolutely nothing so far. Johnson too. And how good are rookie WRs usually? And ones who played WR for 9 games in college?

NT:Troupe, Williams: People forget McCargo. He may be a 1st round bust, but he shows some flashes. Interesting to see his 5 gap DE.

I like Troupe, but was he better as a NT than Stroud was as a DT when he was uninjured two years ago? Perhaps some day, but he has a long way to go before it looks like it.

McCargo? You're talking about McCargo here? He's not even likely to see the field this year, if he even makes the team.

DE: Way better!!! Not even a question.

That may be true, but there is definitely a question. Our DEs last year were the least of our problems. They were strong against the run and got a majority of our sacks. Schobel was most likely our best defender with the exception of Byrd. This is a major question. Our DEs ought to be better at run defense this year, but we will lose a great deal from our pass rush here.

LB: Agree, this will be interesting

Anyway, its a rebuilding period, but it looks like there is a plan for once!

I'll agree with this. But you appear to be a very optimistic guy indeed.

I bet that Kool-Aid tasted good. Clausen may have slipped, but he was a better in college than anyone on the Bills has shown themselves to be in college or the pros. He played in a pro-style system.

Just because we didn't pick him didn't mean we made the right choice. We'll have a long way to go before we see that. IMHO not picking him in the second will come back to haunt us.

Drafting Clausen ahead of a potential starting NT was not the right move. If you have this opinion with respect to Clausen, then you also believe approximately 20 or so other NFL franchises are equally incompetent.

With respect to what he showed in college, did you look at Brohm's stats? If the guy had come out as a junior, he would have been a top 5 pick. That has really panned out in the NFL so far, right?

Clausen *may* turn out to be a very good NFL QB, but he's far from a sure thing.

I like Troupe, but was he better as a NT than Stroud was as a DT when he was uninjured two years ago? Perhaps some day, but he has a long way to go before it looks like it.

Stroud is NOT a 3-4 NT -- he projects to DE in the 3-4 and should excel at that position. Kyle Williams is undersized to be an every down NT and getting Troupe filled a major hole on defense if he is able to play on running downs this season.

The Bills rebuild will take as long as it takes. Anyone who really knows anything will tell you that building a team never ends, and that you are never set at a position no matter how much talent you think you have. Injuries, contracts, and schemes constantly threaten all the factors that lead to wins and losses.

The Bills rebuild will take as long as it takes. Anyone who really knows anything will tell you that building a team never ends, and that you are never set at a position no matter how much talent you think you have. Injuries, contracts, and schemes constantly threaten all the factors that lead to wins and losses.

True, the Pats are always doing thing to improve and they always have a lot of draft pick to work with.

True, the Pats are always doing thing to improve and they always have a lot of draft pick to work with.

Why 3? Because we are really lacking at LT, RT and WR.

If One of our QBs develops under Gailey that will speed up the timetable.

Are you really certain we're deficient in those three areas? Just because the draft "gurus" say those are positions of need does not make it so. And Nix seems to think we're okay there for now. As he says over and over, "We have a different opinion of our players than many of you do" Think I'll take Buddy's opinion over all the nay-sayers.