The Pats just get it better than everyone else.

Aaron Hernandez in round 4. They do this stuff every year and find ways to get tons of picks. They truly toy with just about every other team at draft time.

I'm not so sure - Patriots love to keep sprinkling their roster with multiple 2nd and 3rd rounders....but this league often is about having a core of difference makers (Kelly, bruce, Thurman,Biscuit,Reed) and then surrounding them with a solid cast of supporters......

These top core players are often taken exclusively in top10 of the draft....why does a team a player away from the bowl not go up and get a major difference maker rather than sprinkle with supporters who will help down the road....????

The time is now - they continually draft as if the time is 2 yrs from now....

Their gun is loaded each year and I give them credit - but they are able to load each year because year after year they refuse to pull the trigger and package picks to get the single impact difference maker

I am doing cartwheels they did not package up to get a CJ Spiller.....

I think the Pats have become so fixated on winning draft day they forgot about winning on Sundays. As good as they've been, they've gotten rid of a lot of good players and traded pick after pick just to get a higher next years pick. Sooner or later, you need to pick and pick something other than tight ends.

I say "so what"!

I think the Pats have become so fixated on winning draft day they forgot about winning on Sundays. As good as they've been, they've gotten rid of a lot of good players and traded pick after pick just to get a higher next years pick. Sooner or later, you need to pick and pick something other than tight ends.

I say "so what"!

I agree - its almost as if they get too cute for themselves !! And seem afraid to package multiple eggs and go for 1 impact player. If I'm a Patriots fan I am pissed they they came away from this draft adding multiple support players - and Gronkowski is a definite health risk with back problems at a physical position

Its funny. I live in the NE area. And all the talk show radio programs are complaining that they got a special teamer with their round 1 pick. And that this draft is as bad as their 07 draft. Only 1 player left from that draft. They're saying with Pioli gone that Belichek can coach but can't evaluate talent and that he just calls Urban Meyer and asks who he should draft from U of F. I really like our picks so far. Difference maker in the first. Two solid starters or big time contributors in the second and third. A WR in the fourth who worked his way into a scholarship by butting heads on special teams. We're doing ok.

I am all for trading down and stockpiling picks but the Pats do it so much it is almost confusing.

For example-

21 (119) Dolphins A.J. Edds OLB Iowa

from New England through Oakland, New England and Dallas

I say "so what"!

Dude, the Pats have 38 wins over the past 3 years. Oh yeah, one of those seasons was without Brady. So exactly how have they forgotten how to win? Should they win the SB every year? Ridiculous.

The Pats haven't drafted well in years, actually. They move around a lot on draft day and generate plenty of ESPN hype for doing so, but they don't use their picks wisely. Their last great pick was Wilfork.

I am SO friggin' sick of hearing how the patriots are so good at trading down and drafting. They have sucked at it for five straight years. They are good because they have a few stars, a few good or great FA pick-ups and great coaching. Their drafts have been mediocre to lousy for years.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft...0&type=team

Dude, they selected Gronkowski in round 2 already. How many TEs can you have on the field at the same time?

Two in base offense, three in short-yardage and goal-line situations. And the Pats lost two TEs this offseason, so it makes a lot of sense to draft two.

The Pats have jumped the shark for a long time now on their whole "were smarter than everybody else" drafting strategy. They stockpile picks and take just as many average players as everybody else.

They stockpile picks because they know that there will be some misses. The more picks the more chances to hit on good players. The problem is the Bills tend to pick but will not let players go if they do not pan out. This is why we have a lot of players that are medicore at best. remember they have to replace players too and they lose players if FA more than the Bills do. Remember since 2000 they have missed the playoffs twice, both times they tied for division lead but lost out on tie breakers! (9-7 to the Jets in 2002 and 11-5 to the Fins in 2008) I do not think they are smarter than everyone it is just their way of trying to get better. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does't. It has worked better than the Bills way for the last 10 years.