A Couple Of Draft Day Thoughts

1) My compliments to SDS, the mods and fellow posters. The time leading to today was for the most part civil, and there was excellent dialogue. It was better than some other seasons imo.

2) Special thanks to the true "draftniks." We count on your unselfish work, and I sincerely mean this.

3) We have NO OTs that are starting caliber, let alone good. Please remember this going into tonight and tomorrow. We are going to suck for years if we don't get good OTs.

4) If we don't take an OT in round 1, I truly hope they take McClain. He will help against the pass and the run; the kid looks like a superstar in my humble opinion. Btw, you guys also sold me on Graham. :rolleyes:

5) Last year we could have traded the #2 we used on Byrd for a #1 this year. I have no wish to debate whether not doing so was a good move but given a chance, I am of the very strong opinion that trades such as this are great. I like them far more than trade downs in round 1, which are also good. Having an extra 1st round pick in 11 might be just what this team needs.

Overall, while burned out from prior draft debacles (such as 06), I reserve the right to hope that this new regime will provide the sanity which was sorely lacking during the Levy/Jauron era.

Enjoy the night, and GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) My compliments to SDS, the mods and fellow posters. The time leading to today was for the most part civil, and there was excellent dialogue. It was better than some other seasons imo.

2) Special thanks to the true "draftniks." We count on your unselfish work, and I sincerely mean this.

3) We have NO OTs that are starting caliber, let alone good. Please remember this going into tonight and tomorrow. We are going to suck for years if we don't get good OTs.

4) If we don't take an OT in round 1, I truly hope they take McClain. He will help against the pass and the run; the kid looks like a superstar in my humble opinion. Btw, you guys also sold me on Graham. :rolleyes:

5) Last year we could have traded the #2 we used on Byrd for a #1 this year. I have no wish to debate whether not doing so was a good move but given a chance, I am of the very strong opinion that trades such as this are great. I like them far more than trade downs in round 1, which are also good. Having an extra 1st round pick in 11 might be just what this team needs.

Overall, while burned out from prior draft debacles (such as 06), I reserve the right to hope that this new regime will provide the sanity which was sorely lacking during the Levy/Jauron era.

Enjoy the night, and GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll be near the epicenter. Bring us good karma, Bill.

Hope we can get a tackle. Some projections are that with Saffold and Iupati going in the first, that the position might be very depleted very quickly.

The Bills have said they don't want to reach for a player at a position of need, but if they decide that the tackles they want are gone by their first pick, will they have the discipline to stick to their board or will they fear getting hosed at tackle and take the third or fourth best one?

It's very intriguing stuff. Have a great night...maybe we'll see you in the official draft thread.

The one question I haven't seen asked by anyone on this board is: who will succeed Brian Moorman when he decides to hang em up. I'm not saying he's done just yet but I think we need to bring someone in that can sit behind him and learn from one of the game's best. I think we shock the NFL world by taking Matt Dodge of East Carolina at 9. This will be reminiscent of Aaron Rodgers sitting behind Favre for 3 years, and look how well that turned out for the Pack. The only difference is that most teams see quarterback as the most important position to fill and our Bills take the unorthodox stance that punter is the most important. We will continue to get stellar punter play for the foreseeable future if this pans out. I just hope that it doesn't divide the locker room when Moorman shanks a couple punts and the cameras cut to Dodge pacing the sidelines itching for his chance to pass the aging veteran, because punter controversy is the last thing this organization needs.

great post Bill, I also am leaning towards if we arent going to take the best OT available, take McClain...I agree that he will be a force immediately in the NFL....lets just hope we get ourselves a couple of difference makers in this years draft

I dont think its a good idea to trade our number 2 for a number 1 next year, given the lack of talent/amount of needs this team needs just to put up a fight for 16 games...generally I would agree though, but not with these holes

You'll be near the epicenter. Bring us good karma, Bill.

Hope we can get a tackle. Some projections are that with Saffold and Iupati going in the first, that the position might be very depleted very quickly.

The Bills have said they don't want to reach for a player at a position of need, but if they decide that the tackles they want are gone by their first pick, will they have the discipline to stick to their board or will they fear getting hosed at tackle and take the third or fourth best one?

It's very intriguing stuff. Have a great night...maybe we'll see you in the official draft thread.

Mayock stated he believes 6 tackles go in the first

The one question I haven't seen asked by anyone on this board is: who will succeed Brian Moorman when he decides to hang em up. I'm not saying he's done just yet but I think we need to bring someone in that can sit behind him and learn from one of the game's best. I think we shock the NFL world by taking Matt Dodge of East Carolina at 9. This will be reminiscent of Aaron Rodgers sitting behind Favre for 3 years, and look how well that turned out for the Pack. The only difference is that most teams see quarterback as the most important position to fill and our Bills take the unorthodox stance that punter is the most important. We will continue to get stellar punter play for the foreseeable future if this pans out. I just hope that it doesn't divide the locker room when Moorman shanks a couple punts and the cameras cut to Dodge pacing the sidelines itching for his chance to pass the aging veteran, because punter controversy is the last thing this organization needs.

You speak with great wisdom and foresight. But as you suggest it may make sense to trade Moorman right now...or at least just before they've drafted Dodge.

The downside is that Moorman is the poster boy for the Bills season ticket renewal form. Would this not create an immense backlash by the fan base? I can see the posts now. "We renewed with the expectation that Moorman was our punter. Now you traded him away."

Still the upside is good too. Moorman has great value and if packaged with Lynch and/or Whitner, maybe we could get Big Ben in return?

It's more than likely that finding a replacement for Moorman will take longer than it did for Jim Kelly.

great post Bill, I also am leaning towards if we arent going to take the best OT available, take McClain...I agree that he will be a force immediately in the NFL....lets just hope we get ourselves a couple of difference makers in this years draft

I dont think its a good idea to trade our number 2 for a number 1 next year, given the lack of talent/amount of needs this team needs just to put up a fight for 16 games...generally I would agree though, but not with these holes

Trade with Oakland, we will be guaranteed two top 10 picks... :rolleyes:

This could be the case but I think punter at #9 is not our best value. Perhaps at #41, if he's still there.

Zoltan Mesko will be in demand. Rumor has it Al Davis likes his leg-a lot.

Bill, try and remember that the draft is longer than round 1. Because i am predicting you freak the !@#$ out when we don't pick an OT at #9.

It's why no less than 5 OT's will go in the 1st. The starting caliber rookies aren't found in the 2nd and beyond.

They are introducing the players on ESPN right now. Bulaga's arms look pretty long to me.

It's why no less than 5 OT's will go in the 1st. The starting caliber rookies aren't found in the 2nd and beyond.

Eben Britton, Phil Loadholt, and Sebastian Vollmer say hi. And thats just from last year's draft. There are always quality OL available in round 2. Usually better value than round 1.

Eben Britton, Phil Loadholt, and Sebastian Vollmer say hi. And thats just from last year's draft. There are always quality OL available in round 2. Usually better value than round 1.

Britton and Loadholt are RT's, which Buddy already supposedly acquired in Cornell Green. And besides, how can you judge players with 1 and 2 years respectively in the NFL? I thought draft picks weren't allowed to be evaluated until they've been in the league 3 full seasons?

Britton and Loadholt are RT's, which Buddy already supposedly acquired in Cornell Green. And besides, how can you judge players with 1 and 2 years respectively in the NFL? I thought draft picks weren't allowed to be evaluated until they've been in the league 3 full seasons?

You said that starting caliber rookies aren't found in round 2. I just named 3 round 2 draftees that started as rookies. Unless by "starting caliber" you don't mean starters.