Nix will NOT go Left Tackle #9

I have been hoping for 2 years that we fix our LT position, and now we have holes at both tackles. As much as I would love to hear Brian Bulaga's name called tonight, I don't see that happening. The more I discover about Nix, the more I fear that he will NEVER draft a LT that high. His history says that we will get either Derrick Morgan, Spiller (if we trade Lynch), McCain (if they feel Schobel's done) or Clausen (if available). Nix does not value OL in round 1 of the draft, he believes you can be competent up front by drafting them in later rounds. I see us taking LT in round 3-4. He will load up on OLB, NT, QB,RB if history repeats itself. Tebow...no way. It is a misinformation ploy. No team covets a player that much prior to the draft or they lose any leverage or bargaining ability. Between Nix loving him and Kelly wine and dining him it screams to me ... no Tebow.

I have been hoping for 2 years that we fix our LT position, and now we have holes at both tackles. As much as I would love to hear Brian Bulaga's name called tonight, I don't see that happening. The more I discover about Nix, the more I fear that he will NEVER draft a LT that high. His history says that we will get either Derrick Morgan, Spiller (if we trade Lynch), McCain (if they feel Schobel's done) or Clausen (if available). Nix does not value OL in round 1 of the draft, he believes you can be competent up front by drafting them in later rounds. I see us taking LT in round 3-4. He will load up on OLB, NT, QB,RB if history repeats itself. Tebow...no way. It is a misinformation ploy. No team covets a player that much prior to the draft or they lose any leverage or bargaining ability. Between Nix loving him and Kelly wine and dining him it screams to me ... no Tebow.

i like your theory on not taking a tackle, agree with you and nix. however, i am convinced they get a QB sooner than later.

he is looking to win. He'll pick the player that will help him win sooner rather than later. This is a draft strong on first round tackles and defensive linemen and those are what he needs. I see him getting his nose tackle on D and his LT in the first two or possibly three rounds. So...I think he'll probably go with a LT or Dan Williams at 9 and depending on who he chooses go for an offensive or defensive lineman in the second. He might take a flyer on a qb in the second and go for the other lineman in round 3, but I think he should go to fill in the trenches before anything else. Depends whether he wants years of labor pains or wants the baby...winning 9 games.

Nix has probably never been in charge of a draft with a team that had such a glaring need at LT. This is extremely flawed logic.

PTR

Trent Williams and Okung will both be gone by pick 5

put it in the books.

I'm not sure why PTR would even mention that. That would be truly miraculous if that were to happen, but we know the needs of the teams picking ahead of us and we know that those two are regarded as the cream of the crop across the board. PTR is generally a high calibre poster, but NEVERGIVEUP stated the most obvious thing when he predicted that.

Nix has never run a draft. He has no history. You're trying to predict Nix's behavior by looking at John Butler's and AJ Smith's history. That won't work.

Good original post. It's a good starting point for discussion.

Many people here are still not clear on Buddy Nix's role in San Diego.

When Nix arrived in San Diego with John Butler, Nix was initially the Chargers' Pro Personnel Director, meaning he did what Doug Whaley is doing now for the Bills...scouting NFL players.

After Butler stepped away from his duties due to illness and A.J. Smith was promoted, Nix became Assistant GM and Director of College Scouting.

You may want to believe that A.J. called the shots and was a megalomaniac...perhaps he was. But probably Nix, as the Director of College Scouting, had quite a bit of say in the drafts from 2003 till 2008. The drafts that Butler was involved with (pre-2003), Nix probably had very little involvement at all.

Here are the players Smith/Nix selected in the first round from 2003 till 2008:

2003 Sammy Davis DB

2004 Eli Manning (Phillip Rivers) QB

2005 Shawne Merriman Pass Rusher

2005 Luis Castillo DT

2006 Antonio Cromartie DB

2007 Craig Davis WR

2008 Antoine Cason DB

It's not much to go by. Small sample size...and his exact role and amount of clout is also unknown.

Personally, I'm not confident we can predict what position Nix will take in the first round based on past history.

If you say that based on past history, Nix won't draft a tackle, you'd have to say that he is likely to draft....a defensive back. During Nix's involvement the Chargers took 3 first round DBs in 7 years...and took Quentin Jammer in the first round in 2002.