Jason Taylor signs with the Jets. Bills fall farther behind pack

Jason Taylor has signed for two years with the New York Jets. Another good signing for the division rival Jets. Coupled with the Pats signing Torry Holt today, the Bills just keep falling farther and farther out of any dream for competing in the division. Seems like every other day, someone from the AFC East, besides Buffalo makes a good signing improving themselves. Gonna be a long year for the Buffalo faithful.

How can signing an lb who is well past his prime be something that would help the Bills?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

touche'

:rolleyes:

How about a football team?

Indeed...when you're one game from reaching the Superbowl, $3.6M for a pass rusher that may be able to help salvage the career of Vernon Gholston and possibly give you some quality 3rd down play is a less audacious investment than it would be for a 6-10 team with no QB, no OL, one WR, a new GM, and a slew of new coaches.

it's a risk/reward thing, and it could certainly work out for the jets. my humble opinion is that many of the teams fueled for immediate success blow up during the course of a long season. there is a thin line between a charismatic leader like a rex ryan (when they win), and that crazy as a sh8tbird rat rex ryan (when they lose).

seems to me the jets caught lightining in a bottle at just the right time last year, aided by some situational stuff during the regular season. whether that translates to a super bowl run this year or not remains to be seen, but they certainly have been active.

I fail to see how Buffalo--a team that is nowhere near a playoff contender in 2010--standing idle, while the Jets--a team that came within one game of reaching the Superbowl--sign such a player constitutes "falling further behind the pack". I, along with plenty of others (apparently), don't believe that signing a mid-30's pass rusher who's best seasons are several years removed will be the key to putting the Bills over the hump. Can you honestly say you believe that?

If you ask me, the blind and the stupid are those folks that don't understand that a perennial contender isn't built through free agent signings and trading for veteran has-beens. Ask yourself honestly, who are the perennial contenders in this league? The Colts, Steelers, Patriots, Titans, Chargers, Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Packers, Saints; what do they all have in common? They draft well. Look at their big-name QBs, OTs, DEs, RBs, LBs, all draft picks. The only notable exceptions: Philadelphia's Jason Peters (acquired in a trade) and New Orleans' Drew Brees (hit free agency after SD drafted Philip Rivers and Brees had a major shoulder injury). I guess you can also throw Tony Romo in there, since he was an UDFA, but I'm still giving them the credit for identifying the young talent.

Now do me a favor and name one team that's gotten good and stayed good employing the strategy that the Jets are using this off-season...go ahead...I'm waiting...

Well, until then, perhaps you should re-evaluate your stance on this matter.

They are falling farther behind the pack because the pack is getting better. So yes it is possible to fall behind when you are standing still doing nothing, if the teams above you are continuing to get better. Quite obvious.

Here it comes:

He's old

got nothing left

bad example in the clubhouse

blah blah blah

The JETS and the PATS improved themselves today....bottom line

makin moves makin moves

on paper perhaps - but this game isn't played on paper - let's see how it plays out before it's declared they both improved

i like our approach - and i know it will take a year or two to finally get to where we want them to be - but it will be worth the wait -and then we should be good for years after that

Here it comes:

He's old

got nothing left

bad example in the clubhouse

blah blah blah

The JETS and the PATS improved themselves today....bottom line

makin moves makin moves

+1

Why would the Bills need to do anything? Just look at how good they are with the personnel they have. Wait...

Jason Taylor has signed for two years with the New York Jets. Another good signing for the division rival Jets. Coupled with the Pats signing Torry Holt today, the Bills just keep falling farther and farther out of any dream for competing in the division. Seems like every other day, someone from the AFC East, besides Buffalo makes a good signing improving themselves. Gonna be a long year for the Buffalo faithful.

Oh noes were losing the offseason. :thumbdown:

They are falling farther behind the pack because the pack is getting better. So yes it is possible to fall behind when you are standing still doing nothing, if the teams above you are continuing to get better. Quite obvious.

As it was stated before in this post. Some people just wont get it.

You my friend are one of those people.

the Bills just keep falling farther and farther out of any dream for competing in the division.

IMO, Nix has absolutely no illusions about 'competing for the division,' so these woe-is-me posts are a hoot.

He's cutting out the gangrene and focusing on building a foundation after 11 years of smoke and mirrors. It's a 2-year process at best, so expectations better get adjusted to that reality.

Besides, when the Bills finally are ready to raise the curtain, the Jets, Fins and Pats will likely be headed the other way, in the natural ebb and flow of things.

...Oh, I'm sorry..."Oh my gosh, not another losing season...", there...HAPPY?! (With gratuitous sarcasm)

Not like we've been missing the playoffs for that long too....and every year is a rebuilding year here so it seems

I love this sh-t, we criticize how the Jets got to the playoffs (and WINNING TWO ROAD GAMES) and we havent smelled a playoff berth in a decade...

Our divisional rivals better themselves throughout the offseason by adding players to fill holes.......and every transaction is terrible.

In the defense of the Bills, the Pats and the Jets can be contenders.....

Not true- we have deluded ourselves into not rebuilding. The rebuilding needs to start

Almost half of Taylor's sacks last year were against Buffalo's grocery store IR line.

Then it's a good thing that in 2010 he won't be playing the Bi........

Oh

Never mind.

Um "fall farhter behind" - did you watch him play last year? the guy is not better then a healthy keith ellison and I am dead serious. He has good pass rusher instincts but little speed in the open field. he'd be a bad, bad option as an OLB in a 3-4 at his age. we'll see how rex uses him.

Silly jets....they are really in trouble now. Wait until jason taylor meets Cornell what's his face the offensive tackle we stole away from the Raiders (didn't the Raiders play in the AFC Championship game behind old Cornell?) Yup...once Cornell figures out how to avoid those off sides penalties we'll mop the field with Trent Edwards throwing bombs to Lee Evans (well...Lee may have to come back to catch a few) and that guy we got off Tennessee's taxi squad will rip through the AFC East. I can't wait for the season to start..where are we playing the superbowl next year?...

Um "fall farhter behind" - did you watch him play last year? the guy is not better then a healthy keith ellison and I am dead serious. He has good pass rusher instincts but little speed in the open field. he'd be a bad, bad option as an OLB in a 3-4 at his age. we'll see how rex uses him.

All this signing says to me, is that the Jets have completely given up on Gholston.