Redskins will trade Campbell for a low pick during the draft

He done more with less?? Clinton Portis RB, Ladell Betts RB , Santana Moss WR , Randle El WR, Chris Cooley TE. Do the bills have those kind of players? NO!

Exactly! Campbell has had the talent around him. Moss's numbers were better even when Brunell was QB. Campbell is not an upgrade from anyone we have so we might as well stick with the mediocrity that at least knows our offense until we decide to go after a younger QB.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, "football smart" is seeing TO one on one at the 2 yard line and going for it and completing the longest TD pass in Buffalo Bills history. It's hitting Evans on that slant in against the Jets. It's seeing the open running lane and taking it in from 31 yards out also for a Buffalo Bills record longest run from scrimmage for a TD by a QB. And he can play in a freakin' blizzard. Something we've been clamoring for on here since Flutie and left.

Don't get too hung up on stats. They don't tell the whole story.

Campbell - 4 wins out of 16 games

Fitz - 4 wins out of 9 games

Redskins and Bills in very similar predicament. OC merry-go-round. Horrible OL. Tough division.

You were correct in your prior quote. I'm in the DC area as well...Campbell doesn't have the football smarts to win consistantly or even occassionally. People amaze me when they get caught up into the stats. They don't realize that sometimes you throw for more yards when you are playing from behind. He struggles with pocket awareness and reading defenses. This has been an issue for 4 years. The Redskins OL hasn't always been bad. He just doesn't see the field very well.

If the Bills have the attitude that "you play to win the game" then they will take their chances in the draft.

Kyle Boller, JP Losman, Jason Campbell are all cut from the same cloth. Great practice QB's that can't put it together on the field....lets bring in personnel that can help us win.

Fitz is the better QB when you watch both play and we all know Fitz is not the solution to the Bills QB situation.

No, "football smart" is seeing TO one on one at the 2 yard line and going for it and completing the longest TD pass in Buffalo Bills history. It's hitting Evans on that slant in against the Jets. It's seeing the open running lane and taking it in from 31 yards out also for a Buffalo Bills record longest run from scrimmage for a TD by a QB. And he can play in a freakin' blizzard. Something we've been clamoring for on here since Flutie and left.

Don't get too hung up on stats. They don't tell the whole story.

Campbell - 4 wins out of 16 games

Fitz - 4 wins out of 9 games

Redskins and Bills in very similar predicament. OC merry-go-round. Horrible OL. Tough division.

Actually, statistics are far more valuable than the anecdotal evidence you point to. We all heard your clip before about the 98 yard pass and the run against Miami. I remember those plays, I was there (for the latter at least; for the first one I was watching on television).

If you're not sold on Campbell, that's fine. I'm not sold on him 100% either. But I believe if he came in there's a pretty good chance he'd win the starting job, and for a third day draft choice, I see very little down-side to this.

By the way, way to cherry-pick which stats are important. Your x wins out of x games is completely irrelevant. Last I heard, football was a team game, and Campbell certainly outplayed Fitzpatrick this year and over the course of their respective careers.

Yes, for those that don't think the Skins O-line was bad, they started 2 Buffalo castoffs in Derrick Dockery & M.Williams.

It makes me laugh when people say "the guys who work for NFL teams know more than we do". You have different levels of people in any type of work. Some lazy, who don't research things. How much atttention did the Skins management pay to how lousy Dockery was with the Bills when they signed him to a multiyear deal after we let him go??

Niners fans out here were excited when they signed Jonas Jennings and I just laughed. Unfortunately for them, it wasn't any different with him with SF and actually I thinked he missed more games per year.

I had totally forgot about Jonas Jennings...lets talk about Nate Clements and how much of BUST he has been...We'll be able to add Jason Peters to the long list of Bills who have FAILED after they left town. I'm penciling in Willis McGahee right now.

You were correct in your prior quote. I'm in the DC area as well...Campbell doesn't have the football smarts to win consistantly or even occassionally. People amaze me when they get caught up into the stats. They don't realize that sometimes you throw for more yards when you are playing from behind. He struggles with pocket awareness and reading defenses. This has been an issue for 4 years. The Redskins OL hasn't always been bad. He just doesn't see the field very well.

If the Bills have the attitude that "you play to win the game" then they will take their chances in the draft.

Kyle Boller, JP Losman, Jason Campbell are all cut from the same cloth. Great practice QB's that can't put it together on the field....lets bring in personnel that can help us win.

Fitz is the better QB when you watch both play and we all know Fitz is not the solution to the Bills QB situation.

That's it...

Watch the guy...

He doesn't know what he is doing, still looks like a rookie.

I was completely shocked when Jim Zorn, a former quarterback who should know better, came in and did not start Todd Collins. For the first time in a looong time, at the end of the previous season the Redskins had looked like a very good team, one with the potential to go all the way. BUT it was only because Collins--and NOT Campbell--was leading the way. I thought the fans would go nuts when he chose Campbell over Collins. Hate cliche, but Campbell can't hold Collins' jockstrap (might fumble it) as far as far as talent and leadership are concerned. I remember watching the Redskins' playoff game and thinking that they now have a quarteback who looks smooth, confident, accurate, with touch, and one his teamates clearly felt could lead them to wins even against playoff caliber teams. In other, words, literally the opposite of how Campbell had looked. NO WAY would Campbell have led that team to the playoffs that year. Even though he is OLD, I would still, with no reservations, take Collins over Campbell.

So, that is it for me--the eyes don't usually deceive: Jason Campbell simply has not even looked like a competent backup quarterback, let alone one who could 'win consistently or even occassionally'. Period.

Yeah, and I agree with the Fitzpatrick analysis too, that he looks better than Campbell. I don't want him as the starting QB because of his apparent physical limitations, but would feel dramatically more comfortable with him as the backup than Campbell.

Campbell looks like an unprepared backup now, buiding his stats in garbage time or via weak defenses, and that is with most of the reps in practice, with the first team.

Could you imagine Campbell coming off the bench!?! Scary proposition....

Say what you want, but watch the guy--he is not a good NFL quarterback, and we would be better off without him.

^^^^^Totally

Did you see the Monday Night Game where the whole first half Campbell was stinking it up? Then he got hurt and they put Tod in. First play he connect with Santana Moss for 35 or 40 yards. Then he completes another pass to get them down to the 30. Then they got a bunch of penalties or something. Then they put Campbell back in and it was back to sucking.

I too was amazed that the Redskins didn't go with Tod last year. This is what I'm talking about in QB leadership. If the guys believe in their QB the whole team is better even if the QB is not that great. Look at what used to happen when Flutie came in for Rob Johnson.

I don't think Fitz is very good either. But if were me choosing a starter between Campbell, Edwards, and Brohm, it Fitz all day long.

I agree. Campbell's stats look decent. Not sure how he does it. Watch him play. Then get back to us.

^^^^^Exactly

This whole Jason Campbell furor is yet another example of people reading stats instead of actually watching the games. No coincidence that the stat readers have a track record of being almost always WRONG. :thumbsup:

"According to the Washington Post, the "widespread belief" is that the Redskins will trade Jason Campbell for a "low pick" during the draft.

The Bills are the obvious fit, especially if they address another position of great need at No. 9 overall. Bruce Gradkowski's torn pectoral muscle could also increase the Raiders' interest. Campbell is at least a league-average starter and is well worth the late-round pick for a franchise without a legit quarterback"

There hasn't been any news on the Campbell front lately. Thought this was interesting because they're going to wait til the draft to deal him. All eyes will be on Buffalo at 9 and what direction they go.

Take it how you want but it's fun to speculate and read between the lines. Perhaps if Buffalo passes on a QB at 9 they may swing a deal for Campbell. I'd imagine it would be all but a forgone conclusion if Buffalo passes on a QB in both rounds one and two.

Time wil tell. Can't wait for Thursday.

As a Clausen fan, I would still expect for Buffalo to have to miss/pass on Clausen in the first and Tebow in the second before we would start to consider this trade.

Campbell is not an upgrade, he is on the same level as Edwards. Why waste the time and pick. Bills 2010 CFL Champions!

Campbell's 2009 YPA: 7.1, which is average

Trent's 2009 YPA: 6.4, which is execrable

Campbell's 2009 yards per game: 226.1

Trent's 2009 yards per game: 146.1

Campbell's 2009 INT %: 3.0

Trent's 2009 INT %: 3.8, so Campbell took more risks and yet threw fewer INTs

Campbell's 2009 INT to Touchown ration: 20 : 15

Trent's 2009 INT to Touchdown ratio: 6 : 7

Campbell's 2009 QB rating: 86.4

Trent's 2009 QB rating: 73.8

Campbell's no Trent.

He done more with less?? Clinton Portis RB, Ladell Betts RB , Santana Moss WR , Randle El WR, Chris Cooley TE. Do the bills have those kind of players? NO!

Portis last year had a 4.0 YPA. He was worse than Freddy. Ladell Betts last year had a 3.8 YPA, equal to Marshawn.

Randle El last year had 530 yards and a 10.6 Yards/Reception. Evans had 612 and a 13.9.

Moss had 902 and 13.9. Owens had 829 and 15.1.

Cooley had 29 receptions for 332 yards. (He only played for 7 games.)

Sorry, but the talent there last year was just about equal to our own, and yet Campbell was simply better than Trent.

^^^^^Exactly

This whole Jason Campbell furor is yet another example of people reading stats instead of actually watching the games. No coincidence that the stat readers have a track record of being almost always WRONG. :thumbdown:

Yeah, OJ Simpson's stats are much better than LenDale White's. LenDale must be better. Peyton Manning's stats APPEAR to be better than Campbell's, but stat readers are almost always wrong, so Campbell must be better than Peyton.

It's just the opposite. Stats are virtually always right. There are a few guys and a few cases where guys have value that doesn't show up in the stats, but stats are nothing but a record of performance on Sundays. That's why they're virtually always extremely useful in evaluating player performance.

^^^^^Exactly

This whole Jason Campbell furor is yet another example of people reading stats instead of actually watching the games. No coincidence that the stat readers have a track record of being almost always WRONG. :thumbdown:

What does that have to do with giving up a potential 5th or 6th for a known starting QB to compete in camp??

Worst case scenario, he pushes Trent/Fitz/Broehm into the sarting role...

I don't get the problem here.

And no, the bills DO NOT have to sign him to a deal before hand.... :rolleyes: (not saying that towards you, Rico, just saw it elsewhere in the thread).

As a Clausen fan, I would still expect for Buffalo to have to miss/pass on Clausen in the first and Tebow in the second before we would start to consider this trade.

I like Clausen but I think they like Tebow more.

But I think you are spot on with your post. I have a gut feeling that they are going to do what it takes to get Tebow.

They would not take him at 9 but thy might move up from the 2nd round spot to get him.

^^^^^Totally

Did you see the Monday Night Game where the whole first half Campbell was stinking it up? Then he got hurt and they put Tod in. First play he connect with Santana Moss for 35 or 40 yards. Then he completes another pass to get them down to the 30. Then they got a bunch of penalties or something. Then they put Campbell back in and it was back to sucking.

I too was amazed that the Redskins didn't go with Tod last year. This is what I'm talking about in QB leadership. If the guys believe in their QB the whole team is better even if the QB is not that great. Look at what used to happen when Flutie came in for Rob Johnson.

I don't think Fitz is very good either. But if were me choosing a starter between Campbell, Edwards, and Brohm, it Fitz all day long.

I agree. Campbell's stats look decent. Not sure how he does it. Watch him play. Then get back to us.

Yes, I watched that game, was thinking the same thing. They just needed a good quarterback--clearly did not have one in Campbell, did have one in Collins. They, immediately, just as they did when Collins led them to the playoffs, looked like a good team! How could Snyder invest all that money in his team, have something soo valuable (a billion dollars?) and then not see what was right in fronf of his eyes?? I assume he is responsible for Campbell remaining as long as he did as the starter.

But, look at some the responses after yours--same old crap! People calling for the Bills to bring in this not-even- backup-caliber-quarterback! Absurd.

Maybe they have never seen Campbell play? Maybe they did not notice that whenever Collins replaced him, season or preseason, the Redskins looked like a very good team--after looking hapless with Campbell leading the way.

Nix seems like the kind of guy who would want nothing to do with this overpaid, unprepared quarterback who can't read defenses, fumbles, has no touch, and is clearly incapable of leading a team to victories.

I bet the same fans calling for Campbell are the same ones who called for Collins' head when he was here--same kind of logic.

I'm not necessarily against bringing in Jason Campbell if the price is right (5th rounder). But I think some of those against the move have the same concerns that I do.

For starters, there are only a limited number of snaps to go around in OTAs and training camp and the preseason. If you have a 4-headed quarterback (because I believe that acquiring Campbell would only be adding someone roughly equivalent to the three guys we already have), it is quite a task to give each of them enough snaps to become proficient in the offense and to evaluate them. It can confuse the issue without necessarily improving our QB prospects. It's arguable better to concentrate those snaps instead of diluting them.

I know the Bills want to bring in another arm for camp/preseason, etc., but if that person is just another player thrown into the mix, I think it potentially muddles the situation without really improving it. Campbell (and yes, one can make lots of valid excuses for the guy) is still only a second-rate starter in this league. In another thread, one poster was denigrating David Garrard and Kyle Orton. Well in my view, Campbell is not anywhere near the player these other two guys are. While none of them are franchise QBs, I would be excited if Garrard or Orton was our stop-gap QB. I don't feel this way about Campbell.

Because of this, I would rather see the Bills draft for their "quarterback of the future" or bring along a young, developmental guy with great credentials (yes, Brohm) than bring in another veteran who may or may not beat out the other three.

Are you serious with this? Lumping Campbell in with Losman and Boller? Losman has threw 33 tds to 34 ints and got worse each year. http://www.nfl.com/players/j.p.losman/profile?id=LOS588329 Boller has thrown 48 tds to 50 Ints and has a very uneven career. http://www.nfl.com/players/kyleboller/profile?id=BOL517890

Campbell has thrown 55 tds to 38 INTs and has improved every year. http://www.nfl.com/players/jasoncampbell/p...le?id=CAM375235 What a terrible comparison. It's like everyone in the DC area has been brain washed to think the only think holding back the Redskins from being a SB champ is Jason Campbell. They are absolute garbage and were put together terribly. They have a worse oline and less weapons than the Bills, yet Campbell improved every year.

And this is for the price of a 5th round pick. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

^^^^^Totally

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009120608/2...saints@redskins

Or does throwing for 370 and 3 tds against the SB champs not fit your agenda?