Just how far off are the Bills from being a playoff contender?

You guys hear the owner say the Bills lack talent on the field, as he was given that excuse by Dick Jauron. The truth was the Bills lacked talent on the sidelines, specifically the head coach and offensive coordinator.

The Bills lack quality players at a few key positions... big needs at those positions. LT-WR-OLB-C.

I'll reserve judgment on how they will do this year as it depends on how the draft and remaining free agency goes.

Last pre season I predicted a 4-12 finish and Trent Edwards would not finish the season, he didn't. The only reason they did better then 4-12 is because the team rallied under Perry Fewell to win some games after Jauron was fired and Fitz played decently. Also. don't forget the Indy game where Indy pulled their starters at 1/2 time.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You thought that was good and insightful? Man, I disagree.

Bits and pieces were good (the TVs in the locker room), but he was absolutely determined to blame every single thing on Jauron, whether it was reasonable or not, and to figure that if we just correct only one play in each game we lost, it would've been a win, forgetting all the games that we won by only one play, where if you correct one play we lose. Didn't make sense at all.

And then he said we were close with no real examination of personnel needs whatsover. Lousy article, I thought. A guy with an opiinion ignoring all evidence that disagreed and desperate to shoehorn even things that just didn't fit his worldview into his argument.

How far? Three years. Two if they do an absolutely sensational job of drafting the next two years, making every single pick count. And humans not being perfect, how likely is that?

Yes the author heavily bashed Jauron, but those problems were Jauron's fault. Also, it just wasn't a play or two that could have won us more games, it was the lack on not being physically prepared, numerous injuries every single year, not enough reps & practice time throughout the offseason, not always playing the best players...IMO, those are all valid points that could have made the difference in winning more games. Yes, even the best coaches in the league do make mistakes, but come on, Jauron & co made mistake after mistake. The biggest mistake was when Levy hired Jauron.

The Bills have 5 holes they need to fill: QB, LT, NT, LB & WR. Last year, 4 out of the top 5 picks were starters at some point in the season. If the Bills have at least 3 starters this year out of the draft, then they only need 2 the next year, after that, it's upgrading the stop-gap players and getting depth. IMO, the Bills are not that far off like a lot of people claim.

The secondary should be excellent. Juran made sure to draft enough players, so I think that if the front seven can get pressure, the Bills secondary will be good. The Bills need help at linebacker; hopefully, Maybin will fit is more natural position at outside linebacker. Poz is good if he can stay healthy. They could use more impact players here. The defensive line should be excellent if they can find a legitmate NT. Stroud is good, the other DTs were undersized, but that should help with the move to DE in a 3-4.

If Marshawn wasn't a nucklehead, they would be set at running back. TE seems to be in all right shape. They have one starting wide receiver. I think Lee Evans is still a number one, and he has been hampered by quarterback play. If this wasn't true then TO number wouldn't have dropped off. The offensive line needs help, but the is some young talent.

The Bills need a franchise quarterback, but I'm glad that they finally filled their two biggest needs this off season, a legimate general manager and a legimate NFL head coach.

You thought that was good and insightful? Man, I disagree.

Bits and pieces were good (the TVs in the locker room), but he was absolutely determined to blame every single thing on Jauron, whether it was reasonable or not, and to figure that if we just correct only one play in each game we lost, it would've been a win, forgetting all the games that we won by only one play, where if you correct one play we lose. Didn't make sense at all.

He thinks we're close to being a playoff team? One question, then, how many impact players are on this team? Lee Evans? Byrd? I'm scraping bottom here. Last year you could have counted Schobel, but he won't be playing the same position even if he comes back. Freddy Jackson is good, but he doesn't turn plays and games around by himself. The year before - he was playing injured last year - maybe Stroud, but again, he's switching position. Two guys ... any others? I don't see it. Guys who have two impact players, one of whom is a WR and can't get the ball enough to make a difference without a decent QB, and the other of whom is a safety ... and you think we're close? Seriously?

And then he said we were close with no real examination of personnel needs whatsover. Lousy article, I thought. A guy with an opiinion ignoring all evidence that disagreed and desperate to shoehorn even things that just didn't fit his worldview into his argument.

How far? Three years. Two if they do an absolutely sensational job of drafting the next two years, making every single pick count. And humans not being perfect, how likely is that?

I thought the article hit everything on the head about Jauron. It's possible that the Bills could have made it to the playoffs over the past 4 years, but they wouldn't have been a superbowl contender. A good coach will play to the strengths of his players, which is something Jauron didn't do either. How can anyone expect an offense to be successful, when you are limited in plays and the coach wants to employ a "pop warner" type offense?

Good coaches find ways to find close games. Bad coaches, like Jauron play scared and lose them. I think most of the posters on here could have called better plays than Jauron & Co did.

The secondary should be excellent. Juran made sure to draft enough players, so I think that if the front seven can get pressure, the Bills secondary will be good. The Bills need help at linebacker; hopefully, Maybin will fit is more natural position at outside linebacker. Poz is good if he can stay healthy. They could use more impact players here. The defensive line should be excellent if they can find a legitmate NT. Stroud is good, the other DTs were undersized, but that should help with the move to DE in a 3-4.

If Marshawn wasn't a nucklehead, they would be set at running back. TE seems to be in all right shape. They have one starting wide receiver. I think Lee Evans is still a number one, and he has been hampered by quarterback play. If this wasn't true then TO number wouldn't have dropped off. The offensive line needs help, but the is some young talent.

The Bills need a franchise quarterback, but I'm glad that they finally filled their two biggest needs this off season, a legimate general manager and a legimate NFL head coach.

I agree. Also, the Bills will have to find out if Aaron Maybin, Stevie Johnson and James Hardy can pan out to be good players.

The Buffalo Bills are a franchise QB away from perrenial playoffs. It's that simple. No QB, no playoffs.

It's no coincidence that our ten year playoff drought happens to be during a 13 year franchise QB drought.

Sometimes you don't need a great QB to win. Just ask Jim McMahon (85 Bears) and Trent Dilfer (00 Ravens). It would be great to finally have a franchise QB though, but there are a few pieces left that need to be filled as well.

Sometimes you don't need a great QB to win. Just ask Jim McMahon (85 Bears) and Trent Dilfer (00 Ravens). It would be great to finally have a franchise QB though, but there are a few pieces left that need to be filled as well.

I can agree with that in part. But I'd say 90% of the time you need a franchise QB to be a playoff contender.

You could also add the '03 Bucs to your list. But those three teams have two key things in common:

1. Good QB who can manage the game and not commit turnovers.

2. Elite, all-time great defenses.

The mantra of "defense wins championships" certainly appiles but you must have great QB play.

Your question was what will it take to be a playoff contender. Great QBs make the playoffs. But yes, great defenses win championships.

Recent Super Bowl winning QBs include: Brees, Manning, Brady, Warner, Elway, Young, Favre, and Aikman. All great, franchise QBs.

The Bills are fully capable of making the playoffs because of these possibilities:

• One or two key injuries to NE, NY and Miami
  • A couple of wins in games they SHOULD win
  • Stay healthy and avoid 10+ injuries to key players
  • Get the OL to provide decent pass protection
  • Stop the run

I do think with a different coaching staff (even the Wade Phillips coaching staff) Buffalo would've made the playoffs at least 5 of the last 10 years. I think psyche and mentality are underrated. The Bills have become a team that doesn't know how to win. How to seal the deal. They need confidence and arrogance (which is why I like Rex Ryan, and why the Jets were so successful last year).

Boy I could not agree more. This is exactly why I detested Jauron - his whole persona was way too timid to be a (positive) difference maker as a head coach.

The Bills are fully capable of making the playoffs because of these possibilities:

• One or two key injuries to NE, NY and Miami
  • A couple of wins in games they SHOULD win
  • Stay healthy and avoid 10+ injuries to key players
  • Get the OL to provide decent pass protection
  • Stop the run

I agree!

Boy I could not agree more. This is exactly why I detested Jauron - his whole persona was way too timid to be a (positive) difference maker as a head coach.

Eh. Jauron would have been a good coach for a veteran team. He could coached the Colts to the Super Bowl last year. However, we had a young team that needed to be pushed more. Jauron, obviously, isn't that type of coach.

The author did forget to mention the "bend-don't-break" defense, I sure hope those days will be long gone.

OMG, you're not kidding. I don't know how many times we've seen 3rd and 6 (and other similar yards to go) and the oppsing offense picks up 7 yards...AAAGGGHHH!!!!! I got so sick of watching that. Likewise, I sure hope that 'bend but don't break' defense is out of here.

I agree with you about the article. I've never put any stock into that source, personally. I do think with a different coaching staff (even the Wade Phillips coaching staff) Buffalo would've made the playoffs at least 5 of the last 10 years. I think psyche and mentality are underrated. The Bills have become a team that doesn't know how to win. How to seal the deal. They need confidence and arrogance (which is why I like Rex Ryan, and why the Jets were so successful last year). I don't think they're that many players from being a playoff contender - which is different than a Super Bowl favorite. I think, with good coaching and a draft that gives us a couple immediate starters, the team could be playoff ready next year.

And another non-aggressive approach by Jauron not mentioned was the number of times they took possession late in the 1st half with plenty of time to mount a drive and they just ran out the clock.