Our Division

What teams cleaned up in FA this offseason? You act as if the Bills just looked the other way as other teams loaded their rosters. The Bills were in no position to overpay for one of the few really good FAs. It wouldn't have made a lick of difference going into this season and takes playing time away from younger players. The best teams in the league are made up of players they drafted and developed.

Push, I am not arguing the general premise of what you, and Buddy Nix are preaching, it is just that you, and he, are acting that this is the only way to build a winner...and I am arguing that the Bills have used this exact method, time and again, and, frankly, the results have not been too impressive. I am not sure what Buddy Nix has done, so far, to make everyone believe that he is going to get any different results than his predecessors did.

As much as Tom Donohoe gets criticized around here, I think he was much closer to building a winner here, than anyone since.... and he managed to sign some quality free agents (along with some stiffs) that contributed. And the beauty was, he didn't overpay any of them...if they didin't pan out, cutting them wasn't a hardship. And the franchise image was much better than it is now...we seem to accept that Buffalo can't attract top shelf free-agents, and we blame it on Buffalo...it isn't Buffalo, it is the Bills.

I guess I am just saying, this franchise hasn't done anything, in my view, to deserve the benefit of a doubt that so many are rubber stamping so far. The free agents signed so far are pretty underwhelming. Davis should be an upgrade, and assuming Edwards can play, he could be a good pick up...but there is nothing that jumps out that shows this is not just more of the same...when they start showing actual signs of turning things around, on the field, I will be happy to pat them on the back...until then, this all seems nauseatingly familiar...even if Buddy warned us, or laid out his blueprint...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We haven't had a decent Qb in so long that I don't know how anyone can evaluate our receivers. The Bills offense can only use about 15 yards from the line of scrimmage, and the defenses know that.

It's awful to watch. They suck so bad, even the opponents fans don't want to watch their own defense against the Bills. It's just boring for everyone.

As far as the rest of the division, it's the same answer. We can't really know how bad/good the team compares, because without a QB, the offensive talent is, uhh... "under-utilized".The whole team's attitude and effort is effected, because they know they are on the road to nowhere. Really not much to play for (the money is in the bank).

Reading this thread, some fans gave the Bills another 3 years merely because they hired a new GM and HC. It wasn't who they hired, but simply that they hired someone different than DJ and replaced Mr. Smithers with a guy who had actually worked around NFL personnel departments. Perish the thought.

The standard in Buffalo is low, and the front office keys on this. I mean, in most markets people would demand a winner and not a rebuilding after 10 years. The Bills know they don't need to win much next year, because some fans accept mere change as sufficient.

The front office isn't that much different either. Sure, Guy is gone, but Modrak is still the principal draft guy, along with VP of Football Jim Overdorf who most don't realize makes more decisions than he gets credit (blame) for. The point is, just making changes isn't enough. They must be the right changes, and history shows there aren't many coaches who are out of the HC job for a decade and succeed. Neither are there many 70 year old first time GM's. This wasn't a house-cleaning like many of us wanted, but a matter of rearranging some chairs.

And then there is the roster, which lacks an quality QB, is woefully thin at OT, lacks a true NT, has no proven pass rushing OLB's, and a #2 WR. That, and their backup RB will most likely be dealt for a late round pick. The coaching staff is extremely inexperienced, and the HC (despite having a heart attack a few years ago) believes he can handle the play-calling duties. I differ with many here when I say this is not an optimal situation.

Is it me, or has our division just got a little bit tougher to play in? This is a tough division when every other team in the division adds Pro Bowl Receivers. Santonio Holmes + Braylon Edwards for the jets. Randy Moss + Wes Welker for New England. Now Brandon Marshall with Miami. Thank goodness we have a good secondary, but not good enough to guard these guys all the time. To make matters worse, Our Best receiver has not made it to a pro bowl and has not really racked up the yards in recent years. We have a lot of holes to fill: QB, Possibly RB, OT, DL, LB and now a second receiver spot. Who is going to be the receiver? Chad Jackson. God I hope not. Buddy, Hope you know what your doing cause the road to glory looks like a steep one. very steep.

You don't like Reggie Corner and Jairus Byrds' chances guarding those guys!?!

You don't like Reggie Corner and Jairus Byrds' chances guarding those guys!?!

No Not really. Jarius Bird was a great pick up, since Ko Simpson(B word) had not worked out. We do have a great secondary, but Marshall is a game changer. He in my opinion is a younger better version of TO (Marshall doesn't drop as many catches) The kid is for real. The wildcat is the perfect offense for him. Actually, it's the perfect offense for Ronnie Brown. Now the defenses will respect the pass and he will run wild. He had a great year last year, but I bet he has a better year this year. Santonio will draw coverage away from Bralyon Edwards. And Visa Versa. Lets face it, We have our work cut out for us.

You could argue that your plan was exactly the plan that Marv Levy/Russ Brandon followed in adding Dick Jauron. Was 4 years not enough time to realize that this wasn't working? Jauron got to stage 5 before he was sacked...unless you count Terrell Owens as the begining of stage 6...

I think the problem was a permanent pause at Step 4. Not to throw rose petals at the foot of Bill in NYC, but how many goddamn DBs are you going to draft over three-four years? This is the critical factor. My guess - and I'm only blowing smoke up my own back door - is that we don't go anywhere NEAR defensive secondary in this draft. Hooray.

1. Build FO up

2. Put together coaching staff and schemes

3. Assess talent on team

4. Build through the draft

5 Play young talent in new schemes

.....and once above is accomplished

6.Aquire FA talent to compliment the core of your team

The Bills haven't been able to follow the formula over the last ten years. Who cares what the Phins and Jests are doing?

Agree completly. The Bills are rebuilding, and the time for step #6 is for future seasons.

Push, I am not arguing the general premise of what you, and Buddy Nix are preaching, it is just that you, and he, are acting that this is the only way to build a winner...and I am arguing that the Bills have used this exact method, time and again, and, frankly, the results have not been too impressive. I am not sure what Buddy Nix has done, so far, to make everyone believe that he is going to get any different results than his predecessors did.

As much as Tom Donohoe gets criticized around here, I think he was much closer to building a winner here, than anyone since.... and he managed to sign some quality free agents (along with some stiffs) that contributed. And the beauty was, he didn't overpay any of them...if they didin't pan out, cutting them wasn't a hardship. And the franchise image was much better than it is now...we seem to accept that Buffalo can't attract top shelf free-agents, and we blame it on Buffalo...it isn't Buffalo, it is the Bills.

I guess I am just saying, this franchise hasn't done anything, in my view, to deserve the benefit of a doubt that so many are rubber stamping so far. The free agents signed so far are pretty underwhelming. Davis should be an upgrade, and assuming Edwards can play, he could be a good pick up...but there is nothing that jumps out that shows this is not just more of the same...when they start showing actual signs of turning things around, on the field, I will be happy to pat them on the back...until then, this all seems nauseatingly familiar...even if Buddy warned us, or laid out his blueprint...

Buddy Nix can't be held accountable for what his predecessors did. He's here to do a job and marketing is not his department. I understand the frustration many have for the Bills right now but the last decades of futility can't dictate the direction the team moves in.

I'm not giving my stamp of approval to the Bills yet but I do believe in what Nix has said. His general layout is not the only way to build a team but it's the best. Longterm success comes from strong drafting and player development. Just following the model most definately doesn't guarantee winning but nothing is a guarantee. So far Nix has at least done what he said and was truthful with the fans. Let's hope he executes the plan, as well as he speaks it.

Reading this thread, some fans gave the Bills another 3 years merely because they hired a new GM and HC. It wasn't who they hired, but simply that they hired someone different than DJ and replaced Mr. Smithers with a guy who had actually worked around NFL personnel departments. Perish the thought.

The standard in Buffalo is low, and the front office keys on this. I mean, in most markets people would demand a winner and not a rebuilding after 10 years. The Bills know they don't need to win much next year, because some fans accept mere change as sufficient.

The front office isn't that much different either. Sure, Guy is gone, but Modrak is still the principal draft guy, along with VP of Football Jim Overdorf who most don't realize makes more decisions than he gets credit (blame) for. The point is, just making changes isn't enough. They must be the right changes, and history shows there aren't many coaches who are out of the HC job for a decade and succeed. Neither are there many 70 year old first time GM's. This wasn't a house-cleaning like many of us wanted, but a matter of rearranging some chairs.

And then there is the roster, which lacks an quality QB, is woefully thin at OT, lacks a true NT, has no proven pass rushing OLB's, and a #2 WR. That, and their backup RB will most likely be dealt for a late round pick. The coaching staff is extremely inexperienced, and the HC (despite having a heart attack a few years ago) believes he can handle the play-calling duties. I differ with many here when I say this is not an optimal situation.

I don't know what to tell you BillsVet. You can't just demand an immediate winner from a new staff that, as you pointed out, is inheriting a roster that is a mess. The fans who are mentioning 3 years are just being realistic given the circumstances.

Had the Pats, Fins and Jets done nothing at all this offseason they would have further distanced themselves from the Bills. The Bills did nothing about their three major trouble spots LOT, NT and QB. We transformed our defensive philosophy but did not transform our defense so they could play it. The distance from 4th to 3rd has never been so great.

Two teams got stronger via FA, Miami and NY. While the Pats stockpiled draft picks. It is naive to think that we have superior coaching that will bridge this gap. It is naive to think that we have a better FO that will bridge this gap. It is plain stupid to think that ownership will bridge this gap. And our personnel certainly will not bridge that gap.

Someone please name the two or three leaders on this team. Guess what -- this team has no leaders. George Wilson is probably the only one that comes close to being a leader and he doesn't start. Stroud is a decent player but not a leader. Poz, has trouble with his own position, and is not a leader. Mitchell? You can't lead from the injury ward. Lee? Can't lead when you don't play hard. The rest are rookies moving to second year. Without leadership this team will go where it is led. Nowhere. Sorry you cool aid drinkers. But we are worse off than last year which was horrid.

Buddy Nix can't be held accountable for what his predecessors did. He's here to do a job and marketing is not his department. I understand the frustration many have for the Bills right now but the last decades of futility can't dictate the direction the team moves in.

I'm not giving my stamp of approval to the Bills yet but I do believe in what Nix has said. His general layout is not the only way to build a team but it's the best. Longterm success comes from strong drafting and player development. Just following the model most definately doesn't guarantee winning but nothing is a guarantee. So far Nix has at least done what he said and was truthful with the fans. Let's hope he executes the plan, as well as he speaks it.

So far, he has gotten the easy part done...

thats me :thumbsup::unsure:

Turn back, you still have time...don't make the same mistake as the elders...become a dopey Cowboys fan...when they win, you can brag about it for years, you don't have to worry about those crappy "in-between rings" years... :wub:

Turn back, you still have time...don't make the same mistake as the elders...become a dopey Cowboys fan...when they win, you can brag about it for years, you don't have to worry about those crappy "in-between rings" years... :thumbsup:

Cowboys haven't won a "ring" in 17 years I think it is.

I think we'll be competitive in the division. We split with the Jets and Fish last year and were in both games with the Patsies. As Dennis Green would say, we had 'em on the hook and let 'em get away. The other teams have picked up some guys. But really, the Jets could easily fall back this year. Heck, they were only 9-7 last year, don't forget. Team that loses the Conference Championship often goes south the next year. Fish, really,what makes you think they'll be that much better? Henne Penny is still an unknown. Sure they can run that Wildcat thing again. The Patises are on a slide downward. The dynasty is over. 11-5 and no playoff appearance in 08 and 10-6 and a first round loser last year.

Other teams will have no book on us this year. We can maybe hit 'em with the unexpected to win a few more games.

Hoist up the white flag, if you must, but I think we got a decent shot at playoffs THIS YEAR !!

Go BILLS !![

Cowboys haven't won a "ring" in 17 years I think it is.

I think we'll be competitive in the division. We split with the Jets and Fish last year and were in both games with the Patsies. As Dennis Green would say, we had 'em on the hook and let 'em get away. The other teams have picked up some guys. But really, the Jets could easily fall back this year. Heck, they were only 9-7 last year, don't forget. Team that loses the Conference Championship often goes south the next year. Fish, really,what makes you think they'll be that much better? Henne Penny is still an unknown. Sure they can run that Wildcat thing again. The Patises are on a slide downward. The dynasty is over. 11-5 and no playoff appearance in 08 and 10-6 and a first round loser last year.

Other teams will have no book on us this year. We can maybe hit 'em with the unexpected to win a few more games.

Hoist up the white flag, if you must, but I think we got a decent shot at playoffs THIS YEAR !!

Go BILLS !![

Okay, I will play along. Ignore the success that everyone else in the division has had, and ignore the failure of the Bills, and we are all on a level playing field...

I think you are in denial if you don't think the Dolphins just got a lot tougher with Marshall added to their offense. Assuming he stays out of trouble off the field, he is one of the very best WR in the league. That ought to help Henne a lot, and their running game isn't too shabby.

Anything is possible, but, as usual, the Bills will have to have a whole lot of things go right for them, to be competitive this year. I hope it all works out, but I am not holding my breath, based on where they are now.

I don't know what to tell you BillsVet. You can't just demand an immediate winner from a new staff that, as you pointed out, is inheriting a roster that is a mess. The fans who are mentioning 3 years are just being realistic given the circumstances.

Marv Levy, Dick Jauron, and Mr. Smithers left this team in a tremendous hole. None of them were qualified to be in their former positions, and this roster demonstrates that.

In talking about the on-field product, every Bills fans should recall what's happening off the field. When people talk about rebuilding, one might assume there will be enough time to do it. Not so with the Bills, who will need 3 full seasons for a complete rebuild, assuming they have the HC and they find the players. That's where my demand for success now comes from. No one can say what's going to happen after 2012, whereas there are probably 29 teams (excluding JAC and MIN) that are certain to be in their current market in 3 seasons. Rebuilding would be somewhat acceptable if it weren't for this situation Buffalo finds itself in.

i.e. Bargain Basement...seriously...NO ONE has heard of these guys.

The majority of the posters here know who Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis are. If you haven't heard those names before then I'm guessing only a couple of the FAs available would have satisfied you.

1. Build FO up

2. Put together coaching staff and schemes

3. Assess talent on team

4. Build through the draft

5 Play young talent in new schemes

.....and once above is accomplished

6.Aquire FA talent to compliment the core of your team

The Bills haven't been able to follow the formula over the last ten years. Who cares what the Phins and Jests are doing?

They haven't even got past #1 yet

they have a retired 70 year old scout working part time from his home in Tennessee now allegedly making the football decisions

and he has yet to beef up the scouting dept to more than the 6 scouts they have been relying on .

but not to worry, Modrak still runs college scouting on a part time basis from his home in Florida

but they bring in a pro scout from Pittsburgh to replace Guy- so the rapist QB could be on his way to Buffalo -

Bills fans will rejoice as they will have another criminal thug to keep Lynch company