The Drive By Truckers

having ripped on green day and jack white and celine dion and the drek dave matthews has been spewing for quite some time, i thought it might be important to point out that The Drive By Truckers might just well be the best band out there at this moment, and maybe one of the consistently best outfits to put out music this past decade, lady gaga, michael bubble and justin biever be damned.

got my ipod cranked and suddenly "George Jones Talkin' Cell Phone Blues" came on. and that was a B-side.

then there's the DBT's "Ghost to Most."

i know i'm stepping on toes, here, but don't much care, because i just might catch someone searching for something real good, that might never make it on Broadway.

jw

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having ripped on green day and jack white and celine dion and the drek dave matthews has been spewing for quite some time, i thought it might be important to point out that The Drive By Truckers might just well be the best band out there at this moment, and maybe one of the consistently best outfits to put out music this past decade, lady gaga, michael bubble and justin biever be damned.

got my ipod cranked and suddenly "George Jones Talkin' Cell Phone Blues" came on. and that was a B-side.

i know i'm stepping on toes, here, but don't much care, because i just might catch someone searching for something real good, that might never make it on Broadway.

jw

They played at our store a few weeks ago...great band...being a huge George Jones fan, that song "George Jones Talkin' Cell Phone Blues" is the song that kind of got me to listen to them...kind of remind me a bit of another very under appreciated band of yesteryear, Commander Cody...great stuff! :unsure:

they are more than very good...they are awesome....have seen them a couple of times and they have yet to dissapoint

jw

Have just become a huge DBT fan in the last year or so and they are indeed excellent. I would go so far as to say their music has really helped me get through tax season, which is almost over! But I digress, Patterson Hood's solo album from 2009 is really good also. And you got to love Slobberbone as well. Great topic JW.

i too have gotten really into the DBTs over the past year, ever since i latched onto "Creation's Dark." what an ambitious piece of work, filled with an eclectic mix of music, some of it countrified, but in a very good way. i have picked up Decoration Day and don't know why i haven't made it through their whole catalog just yet, including Hood's solo stuff.

they strike me a little like Blue Rodeo, but far more mature and developed.

helps, too, that they've got a Replacements influence behind them now, Peter Jesperson, the man who first discovered the Mighty 'Mats, and thought enough to see them through their first albums.

what's also curious is part of their tour this year will be with Petty. it's somewhat ironic, considering The Replacements final record label had them touring with Petty in a bid to show the fall-down drunks how a "real pro" band tours. didn't work. the 'Mats, true to their rock and roll spirit, rebelled.

Petty at least got something out of it by ripping off the line, "Rebel without a clue."

hope the same don't happen to the DBTs.

one question: who is this Shonna Tucker, and when did she formally join the club. her voice provides a wonderful counterpoint to everything else that's going on.

jw

Agreed, they are very good. Though Wilco may be the best live band.

there's always one of you, isn't there?

where in goodness gracious does this say this is a Wilco thread? do the letters DBT somehow spell out Wilco, for some reason or am i some ways dyslexic? man, i bring up a good rock solid band that's been flying way under the mainstream radar -- though, that's not tough to do, given the bieber's and bubbles that make up mainstream these days -- and someone always has to come up with a wilco reference.

it's like the gdam rush fans and their tom sawyer tributes and spirit of radio gaga comments whenever canada and music are mentioned in the same area code.

holy cow.

if you want to start talking about Wilco, i'm sure you could easily fill up your own thread by starting a post.

this is a, read this carefully, Drive By Trucker thread ... and i'm just goofing with ya. :unsure:

Wilco's good.

jw :lol:

I first encountered DBT opening up for Jon Langford in 1998...been a pretty rabid fan ever since. Their early, self released, records were kind of frustrating in that they fluctuated wildly between some of the greatest rock and roll penned to some of the worst nonsense ever (see: the president's penis is missing off of Pizza Deliverance. or better, don't). One of the rare bands that seems to never peak. The new album is pretty dope--although not their best. However Cooley brings it this time. Birthday Boy? Killer killer tune.

If a fan do check out The Hold Steady and Titus Andronicus. Super literate bar rock. here, I'll make it easy on you:

I first encountered DBT opening up for Jon Langford in 1998...been a pretty rabid fan ever since. Their early, self released, records were kind of frustrating in that they fluctuated wildly between some of the greatest rock and roll penned to some of the worst nonsense ever (see: the president's penis is missing off of Pizza Deliverance. or better, don't). One of the rare bands that seems to never peak. The new album is pretty dope--although not their best. However Cooley brings it this time. Birthday Boy? Killer killer tune.

If a fan do check out The Hold Steady and Titus Andronicus. Super literate bar rock. here, I'll make it easy on you:

The Hold Steady is playing Rochester tonight at Water Street. Very PO'd I can't make it and that there is no Buffalo date (yet). Still hoping.

The Hold Steady is playing Rochester tonight at Water Street. Very PO'd I can't make it and that there is no Buffalo date (yet). Still hoping.

I know man, unfortunately I can't get off work. Same with the Syracuse gig last night. Luckily they tour like nobody's business--they'll be back probably 2 more times this year

looks like its time to circle back around on these guys. i was originally introduced to them via a roommate back when Southern Rock Opera came out (2002-ish). and while i was instantly a fan, i found myself thinking what you stated above. it was hit or miss, and when they hit it was awesome, but when they missed... ehhh.

with the recent onslaught of "Southern Rock" bands, I've tended to shy away from the whole genre outside of maybe Valiant Thorr or Clutch and a couple others. Time to revisit as theyve definitely put out a number of releases I havent kept track of.

jw

I have mentioned them before and I will mention them again the best band going right now is the Gaslight Anthem. They are a punk Bruce Springsteen type band that kick ass. Also if you like Drive by Truckers check out the Hold Steady another great band.

i'm familiar with Gaslight Anthem. the '59 Sound was a good album, though i find it a little wanting after the 10th spin or so. i also found some of their earlier stuff happened to be very poorly produced and a band still trying to find its way.

with all due respect to billsfan89's opinion, and this is not a knock directed at you, i understand where you're coming from on the Springsteen connection, but i don't know if i'd call them a "punk Springsteen." Gaslight seems to be a straight ahead rock and roll band without Bruce being the frontman.

i do have a Hold Steady album, "Boys and Girls ..." and was disappointed. i thought they were a band trying to do too much. not bad, but, it didn't thrill me. thought the production was a little overboard and the direction a little too over the place and lacking focus.

part of this is taste on my part, so i would suggest that these bands be checked out and people come up with their own opinions.

for me, the reason i began this post, is it takes a lot to convince me to like a band. and the DBT's have seriously caught my attention.

jw

ADD: I do think Astrojanitor, who's opinion on music i've come to enjoy and respect, put it best by referring to the DBTs as being, "one of the rare bands that seems to never peak." and that, to me is a very good thing, because consistency is a tough nut to wrangle in any business.

i'm familiar with Gaslight Anthem. the '59 Sound was a good album, though i find it a little wanting after the 10th spin or so. i also found some of their earlier stuff, which happened to be very poorly produced and a band still trying to find its way.

with all due respect to billsfan89's opinion, and this is not a knock directed at you, i understand where you're coming from on the Springsteen connection, but i don't know if i'd call them a "punk Springsteen." Gaslight seems to be a straight ahead rock and roll band without Bruce being the frontman.

i do have a Hold Steady album, "Boys and Girls ..." and was disappointed. i thought they were a band trying to do too much. not bad, but, it didn't thrill me. thought the production was a little overboard and the direction a little too over the place and lacking focus.

part of this is taste on my part, so i would suggest that these bands be checked out and people come up with their own opinions.

for me, the reason i began this post, is it takes a lot to convince me to like a band. and the DBT's have seriously caught my attention.

jw

Well I usually describe Gaslight as a punk Springsteen because its just the easiest most palatable definition. I think they released a new single on the web for their new album American Slang its a really good song and the new album should be really awesome considering that this is only their 3rd album and they really just found themselves with 59 sound.

American Slang is going to be a great record (I hope) and really skyrocket their popularity even more. FYI it comes out June 15th.

there's always one of you, isn't there?

where in goodness gracious does this say this is a Wilco thread? do the letters DBT somehow spell out Wilco, for some reason or am i some ways dyslexic? man, i bring up a good rock solid band that's been flying way under the mainstream radar -- though, that's not tough to do, given the bieber's and bubbles that make up mainstream these days -- and someone always has to come up with a wilco reference.

it's like the gdam rush fans and their tom sawyer tributes and spirit of radio gaga comments whenever canada and music are mentioned in the same area code.

holy cow.

if you want to start talking about Wilco, i'm sure you could easily fill up your own thread by starting a post.

this is a, read this carefully, Drive By Trucker thread ... and i'm just goofing with ya. :doh:

Wilco's good.

jw :thumbsup:

Uh, Okay . . . .

History of Alternative Country . . . Uncle Tupelo -----> Wilco -----> Drive-by Truckers. Is that alright?