How are you planing for retirement?

There are only two things for money less that 2 years. Liquidity and safety. That is checking, savings, money markets and CDs and CDs sometimes are not that liquid. I recommend nothing else for that time frame.

Except coffee cans.

And what about silver?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine was doing something similar. He had about 20 rental houses in Florida. About 6 years ago, his net worth was about $1.5 million. He ended up taking out home equity loans to buy some additional prepeties. Today, he is down to about 8 properties, most of which he is trying to sell through short sales. His net worth is now negative. In addition to the rental properties, he also operates a home repair business. Since the majority of his work has been done on his own houses, he has reported very little income from his business. [ As a result, he has paid very little social security taxes over the years. He's now in his late 40's, he has pretty much lost all of the rental property that he was going to use to retire on, and his projected soc sec benefits are squat.

Basically a reminder that we all need to diversify. Put as much money in IRA's and 401k's as you can afford. Try to save 10% of your income toward your retirement and start EARLY. Make sure that you diversify your investments. Take advantage of Roth ira's. There are a lot of benefits to Roths in addition to the tax free withdrawals.

I just caught that. Was he not reporting rental income? I don't what to say anything about me personally since according to some posters here this forum is monitored constantly by the man.

No my problem is that typically you're an !@#$ to me (which I could care less about) but then when you want free advice it's all please and thank you.

And there is nothing creative for 3-6 months you dolt.

Who treats who like crap? You have got to be kidding me. I have had more crapped dished out by you and DC Tom the past whatever months, where I stayed classy and didn't start name calling. I noticed in one of your posts that you are starting an investment firm, god forbid that maybe I could become a client, but you would rather hurl insults.

If a CD is the only real thing, fine, you dont have to insult me, I was thinking there might be some index fund or something that might fit the bill. I'm busy making money not researching dynamite places to park money. I thought that was what you do for a living? You seem pretty sharp so I thought I would ask and see if you had some clever ideas.

Sorry I bothered you.

Who treats who like crap? You have got to be kidding me. I have had more crapped dished out by you and DC Tom the past whatever months, where I stayed classy and didn't start name calling. I noticed in one of your posts that you are starting an investment firm, god forbid that maybe I could become a client, but you would rather hurl insults.

If a CD is the only real thing, fine, you dont have to insult me, I was thinking there might be some index fund or something that might fit the bill. I'm busy making money not researching dynamite places to park money. I thought that was what you do for a living? You seem pretty sharp so I thought I would ask and see if you had some clever ideas.

Sorry I bothered you.

You thought I gave free investment advice on a message board?

And I think you wished some sort of painful death on me some time ago.

By the way, it was no bother at all.

You thought I gave free investment advice on a message board?

Lots of people give free advice on this board. But if I liked where you were headed I would become a client.

And I think you wished some sort of painful death on me some time ago.

That was so long ago, you got to let it go.

By the way, it was no bother at all.

Thx

A friend of mine was doing something similar. He had about 20 rental houses in Florida. About 6 years ago, his net worth was about $1.5 million. He ended up taking out home equity loans to buy some additional prepeties. Today, he is down to about 8 properties, most of which he is trying to sell through short sales. His net worth is now negative. In addition to the rental properties, he also operates a home repair business. Since the majority of his work has been done on his own houses, he has reported very little income from his business. As a result, he has paid very little social security taxes over the years. He's now in his late 40's, he has pretty much lost all of the rental property that he was going to use to retire on, and his projected soc sec benefits are squat.

Basically a reminder that we all need to diversify. Put as much money in IRA's and 401k's as you can afford. Try to save 10% of your income toward your retirement and start EARLY. Make sure that you diversify your investments. Take advantage of Roth ira's. There are a lot of benefits to Roths in addition to the tax free withdrawals.

His problem was that he got sucked into the "boom" period, figuring that if he bought more property using the equity he had he'd get his money back quick. Sorry the balloon burst and property values tanked. Many "speculators" lost their butt for the same reason.

He should have stayed with just his 20 rentals. That's six years paid on the mortgages (if he has them) and as long as you have tenants paying you still have income.

Depends who. My mom retired with about 150K and rental income. Then again, my mother supported 4 kids on a 20K salary, half of that as a widow.

Now we take care of her :lol:

My mom had a 401K (not great but supplemented her SS) and a rental property (a double, two flats). She lived in one and the other was rented out. She signed the property over to us kids but had the right to live there and get the income during her life. The rent paid most of her living expenses.

Is anyone here putting money into High Yield Corp. bonds right now?

Junk bonds scare the hell out of me! In general stocks and bonds seem a bit over priced for me right now, but I think you can make some cash right now in junk. What do you think?

What do I think? I think you're confused.

Is anyone here putting money into High Yield Corp. bonds right now?

Junk bonds scare the hell out of me! In general stocks and bonds seem a bit over priced for me right now, but I think you can make some cash right now in junk. What do you think?

Of course junk bonds scare the hell out of you. That's why they're junk bonds.

Junk bonds scare the hell out of you but you think there's money to be made there. Sounds rather confused to me.

Yes, risk frightens and confuses me. I Like to make lots money with very low risk but going forward it looks like i'll have to risk more to make more. So, I was seeing if anyone else here is taking a risk on high yield these days even though its scary.

Yes, risk frightens and confuses me. I Like to make lots money with very low risk but going forward it looks like i'll have to risk more to make more. So, I was seeing if anyone else here is taking a risk on high yield these days even though its scary.

My biggest risk is loaning people money for real estate deals, I loan up to 50% LTV and I have to like the project before I loan/invest. I only look at projects in So Cal.