Jason Campbell to sign his tender

Campbell has improved every year he been a starter. My only only concern is he's a guy who gives you 7-9 wins a year, prevents you from ever drafting a top tier guy. I think sometimes you gotta hit rock bottom to take that giant step forward just like the 80's bills teams did. I know with FA it different, but I don't think any teams lets a franchise QB hit the market unless he's an aging guy you really can't build on for the long run. I have no problem bring him in here, but for like a 6th or 7th. Washington needs to get to get rid of him, he needs a job. Washington needs us more then he need them. Let the raiders have him for a 4th, and for the next 6-7 years they can win 7-9 games so they can draft at 9-14 spot and never really go anywhere. Why should we always be the one's to get screwed. Let me tell you from a die hard bills and sabres fans who live in a city where they have won 3 superbowls, 2 world series, and 1 NBA title in the last 10 years, 2nd place sucks. Let be in it to win it even if we have to bomb out for a year or two.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id say no. keep the pick. you may get an OLB whos able to start day 1. he may be better than anyone we have now. he may be not.

whatever, i think its best to beef up, both O and D. even to our last 7th rounder.

Campbell has improved every year he been a starter. My only only concern is he's a guy who gives you 7-9 wins a year, prevents you from ever drafting a top tier guy. I think sometimes you gotta hit rock bottom to take that giant step forward just like the 80's bills teams did. I know with FA it different, but I don't think any teams lets a franchise QB hit the market unless he's an aging guy you really can't build on for the long run. I have no problem bring him in here, but for like a 6th or 7th. Washington needs to get to get rid of him, he needs a job. Washington needs us more then he need them. Let the raiders have him for a 4th, and for the next 6-7 years they can win 7-9 games so they can draft at 9-14 spot and never really go anywhere. Why should we always be the one's to get screwed. Let me tell you from a die hard bills and sabres fans who live in a city where they have won 3 superbowls, 2 world series, and 1 NBA title in the last 10 years, 2nd place sucks. Let be in it to win it even if we have to bomb out for a year or two.

I think that the Bills have enough talent that they would not be drafting in the top five pick "franchise QB range" in the next few years anyways. So I would not be against bringing in Campbell for a fourth. Even if they did draft Tebow with their second, it gives the Bills and Campbell a one year audition. We'll either have an established QB in Campbell (he had better have a really good year for that to happen), Tebow ready to start the following year, or the Bills would be pretty much forced to draft a "young gun" in the first round of the 2011 draft. As a Bills fan, I'd like having those options.

Agreed. I feel a 4th for Campbell and we have addressed QB. I still trade DOWN in the draft and trade marshawn so Nix has more picks to work with.

If I had to guess I would lean toward Campbell signing with Carolina. It would be a perfect fit for him. A team with a competent OL and a strong running game.

With respect to Marshawn I'm tired of his foolish act. He had an opportunity to start fresh with a new staff but preferred to engineer a trade. He is a talented player with the maturity lelvel of a teenage brat. If the Bills can get a pick and use it for the back from Stanford, Gerhart, sic, the Bills would come out ahead in that exchange. The talent level might not be equal but the team effort would more than make up for the deficit.

Only if you're stupid enough to keep him after it becomes obvious that he isn't the answer. The Redskins are finally getting rid of their garbage, the last thing I want is for the Bills to keep spinning their wheels. I also don't want to give the JP nitwits another loser to latch onto , "All Campbell needs is more time". :thumbsup::wallbash:

I happen to agree that Campbell is a good choice for us. His 2009 Statics were better overall then McNabbs, and his O-Line did stink like ours. Wasting our 1st or 2nd pick on a QB

is just ignorant. We need a Left Tackle and a nose tackle. The last 5 drafts have given us very little in the first round.

DM 3553 60.3 22 10 92.9

JC 3618 64.5 20 15 86.4

Sorry BUB! I will take 5 less pics, 65 less yards, 4.2% less completion %. How do you get his stats were better! Maybe at throwing INT's! No F'n way. Mcnabb is way better even at 33. Mcnabb has less pics and better QB rating. I used to smoke the Chronic as well, maybe u shouldn't anymore.

I think that the Bills have enough talent that they would not be drafting in the top five pick "franchise QB range" in the next few years anyways. So I would not be against bringing in Campbell for a fourth. Even if they did draft Tebow with their second, it gives the Bills and Campbell a one year audition. We'll either have an established QB in Campbell (he had better have a really good year for that to happen), Tebow ready to start the following year, or the Bills would be pretty much forced to draft a "young gun" in the first round the 2011 draft. As a Bills fan, I'd like having those options.

I don't know, I don't mind if your right. With the Pats not being the only good team in the divison, no set Qb, likely a rookie left tackle, a question at right tackle, questionable return of Wood, lack of depth at most positions, questions with the WR expect Lee, transition from 4-3 to 3-4, no true nose tackle, no big time past rusher at DE, new coaching staff, new front office. I think 3 to 4 winners might be the best were gonna do. I hope I'm wrong, and I know we can full some holes in the draft, but really how much can you do in 1 draft. I think all the RFA really hurt a team like the bills this year. I hope i'm wrong.

Just thought of something. The Bills will probably need that 4th round pick to move up into the end of the 1st round to be assured getting Tebow. So say the Raiders select Clausen with their 8th, the Bills should offer up a "conditional" 5th round pick, with the condition being that the Redskins get our 4th round pick in the 2011 draft if Campbell takes over 75% of the Bills snaps in the 2010 season. The Redskins will be sorely running out of options if the Raiders pick Clausen.

Trade for another Captain Checkdown? That makes absolutely no sense!!

Do you agree that drafting a QB in the first or second round will set the Bills back a few years? If we draft OT, DT, the Bills will be in better shape. We will have a young, talented O line that will be good for years to come. The 3-4 leaves us with a lot more options personell wise.

A first round QB draft pick is not a smart move. Edwards or Campbell are better options than spending a first on Clausen or Bradford. New coaching staff, new tempo, new attitude. This will be a different team. Trent Edwards still has the potential to be better than a rookie QB. Building a franchize doesnt start with a QB.

I see your point, but Jason Campbell was on a bad team, and he performed well. It will be a fresh start for him.

Do you agree that drafting a QB in the first or second round will set the Bills back a few years? If we draft OT, DT, the Bills will be in better shape. We will have a young, talented O line that will be good for years to come. The 3-4 leaves us with a lot more options personell wise.

A first round QB draft pick is not a smart move. Edwards or Campbell are better options than spending a first on Clausen or Bradford. New coaching staff, new tempo, new attitude. This will be a different team. Trent Edwards still has the potential to be better than a rookie QB. Building a franchize doesnt start with a QB.

I see your point, but Jason Campbell was on a bad team, and he performed well. It will be a fresh start for him.

try and make that point to the jets, ravens, falcons and see how it goes over

im not opposed to campbell, but drafting clausen is not an automatic death sentence to mediocrity

try and make that point to the jets, ravens, falcons and see how it goes over

im not opposed to campbell, but drafting clausen is not an automatic death sentence to mediocrity

All teams with good offensive lines and a good defense, and a solid backfield before they drafted a QB. What is your point? You are contributing to my point. Drafting Clausen at this point, will not position the Bills to have a team that can develop a good QB. The Bills biggest need is on the offensive line.

JP and Trent did not live up to their metrics. But they both had good attitudes, lots of talent, no offensive line, and a team that wasn't unified through leadership.

I'm not saying Clausen doesn't have the ability. Im saying that the teams with rookie QB's you mentioned, built a team, then found a rookie QB. A top 5 defense and a top 10 running game can relieve alot of pressure from a rookie QB and provide the right environment to develop.

Are you saying that it only takes a QB to turn around a franchize? I'm saying that it takes a good franchize to develop a QB. How many top 5 draft pick, ultra talented QB's have failed?

:thumbsup::wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash::w00t:

Do you guys realize the Redskins only won 4 games last season, all wins against teams with a losing record like the Raiders, Rams and Bucs or that Campbell went 0-6 in his division.

The makeshift QB rotation we had here in Buffalo yielded better results.

What in the world are you guys even looking at because stats mean nothing when you are playing catch up football all the time.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

By that logic, Campbell was the sole reason Auburn went undefeated in the best conference is college. Last year, the Redskins lost 5 games by 5 or less points. His game log was prett consistent. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?playerId=8440 9 games of over a 90 QB rating.

Against the Super Bowl champs, he threw for 367 yards and 3 tds. He put up 30 points while our QBs couldn't manage a td against NO. They would have won the game except somehow their kicker missed a 23 yarder and allowed the Saints a last second drive to send the game into overtime.

And Washington has complete crap on offense. Yet, Campbell unlike our last few QBs, has improved every year. For a 4th rounder, it would be an absolute steal.

I am sorry, but the Redskins had A LOT more than what we had in Buffalo.

Portis, Moss, Thomas, Kelly, Randle El, Cooley, Davis...is a better set of weapons than what we have in Buffalo.

Chris Samuels - Derrick Dockery - Casey Rabach - Randy Thomas - Levi Jones (THAT is a WAY better Line than Buffalo!)

Don't you think Mike Shanahan has an astute offensive mind?

Considering that most teams would want a competent solid veteran back up QB in case the starter get injured and if Campbell is as good as you seem to think he is, it simply makes no sense as to why a brilliant offensive mind like Shanahan would dump the guy.

Think about it, if Shanahan thinks he can't coach up Campbell to be a winning QB, what makes you think Chan Gailey can?

Why aren't other teams that really need a good young QB going after him-Rams-Browns-Raiders-Arizona-Minnesota-Jacksonville-Carolina?

He gave Campbell a 1st round tender. if they didn't acquire McNabb, he mostly would have been the starter. McNabb is a HOF QB so you have to make that move. Additionally, Campbell will be highly paid for a backup and you have a chance to get some value for him instead of losing him for nothing.

The Redskins just spent 4 years trying to do something with Jason Campbell, he's started 52 games in the NFL (20 more then TE) and still has problems reading defenses. Out of the 52 games Campbell has only won 20, and just went 4-12 in his last season.

One good game ( that he lost ) doesn't make a good QB.

This is hilarious. You're the same guy who still think Losman can be a good QB. Washington was even worse at developing QBs than Buffalo. but unlike Losman and Edwards, Campbell continued to improve every year. You can't discount this.

:thumbsup::wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash::w00t:

Oh, Im sorry. Mr n, n-1. What are you a math teacher? Because you obviously don't know football. Peyton had a great franchize with Polian as GM. Brady walked into a great coaching staff, solid players, and leadership. Drew Brees spent a few years on a stacked team with LT in San Diego. Steve Young stepped into the franchize that Montana built. Marino had a solid running game and a good defense. Rothlesberger had an awesome running game, an awesome defense, and set up play action. Flacco had the best D in the league, solid Oline, and good RBs. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, and he didnt have the skill of JP or Trent.

Teams arent built on QB's. All NFL QB's have a lot of talent. Some more than others. But QBs become winners after the draft when they walk into the right environment to help them develop.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

I am sorry, but the Redskins had A LOT more than what we had in Buffalo.

Portis, Moss, Thomas, Kelly, Randle El, Cooley, Davis...is a better set of weapons than what we have in Buffalo.

Chris Samuels - Derrick Dockery - Casey Rabach - Randy Thomas - Levi Jones (THAT is a WAY better Line than Buffalo!)

You're reaching hard here. Randle El averages like 500 yards/ season. Kelly has less than 400 yards in his career. Thomas has a whooping 445 yards in his career. Portis was hurt and is fading fast. Moss is a shorter, less talented version of Evans. Cooley got hurt halfway through the season. Davis started to come out and looks to be solid (but I guess the QB gets no credit for that).

You're insane if you think the Redskins weapons were better than Jackson, Lynch, Evans, TO, Reed, Parrish, Nelson. It's not even close. We jsut had crappy QBs that made those guys look bad.

And the Skins line was terrible. Randy Thoms missed the whole year. Samuels suffered a career ending injury early in the season. Dockery is a vag who we cut. Levi Jones was signed off the street halfway through the season and if you look at the stats, played terrible. They had to start Bills bust Mike Williams who hadn't played in 3 years! What a great group.

It amazes me that people try so hard to bash Campbell. The Redskins were brutal in their development of him. Yet, he improved every season! And we're not talking about a 1st round pick for him. It's going to be a 4th. It would be an absolute steal and great risk.

He gave Campbell a 1st round tender. if they didn't acquire McNabb, he mostly would have been the starter. McNabb is a HOF QB so you have to make that move. Additionally, Campbell will be highly paid for a backup and you have a chance to get some value for him instead of losing him for nothing.

They also gave Campbell the right to seek a trade which tells me they're willing to part with him. If it would cost us a 4th Round to get him count me in the camp that make that move.