Kyle Williams

We should be trying to trade kyle williams to a 4-3 team. Kyle Williams is great, he just does not fit our new defense. We could probably get a low 2nd for him.....possibly the colts.

But our coaching staff seems to like him even though he clearly does not fit in this scheme. In the 3-4 he is a situational pass rusher. Any 2nd round draft pick would most likely be an everydown player at whatever position he was drafted at which is much more valuable than what Williams will offer to this team.

I like him, the coaches can say what they want about trying to play to his strengths, but the bottom line is he does not fit as a 3-4 nose tackle.

He was a 5th round investment who could more than likely get us a valuable starter with a late 2nd round pick. Seems to make sense to me.

There is more than one way to play a 3-4 NT position. KW has the potential to cause problems for offenses as a 1 gapper. He also has the potential to be trapped a lot. Our ILBs have to play better than they have in the past to compensate. I'm more worried about our LB play than our line play in the new 3-4 alignment.

GO BILLS!!!

We should be trying to trade kyle williams to a 4-3 team. Kyle Williams is great, he just does not fit our new defense. We could probably get a low 2nd for him.....possibly the colts.

But our coaching staff seems to like him even though he clearly does not fit in this scheme. In the 3-4 he is a situational pass rusher. Any 2nd round draft pick would most likely be an everydown player at whatever position he was drafted at which is much more valuable than what Williams will offer to this team.

I like him, the coaches can say what they want about trying to play to his strengths, but the bottom line is he does not fit as a 3-4 nose tackle.

He was a 5th round investment who could more than likely get us a valuable starter with a late 2nd round pick. Seems to make sense to me.

Williams is the only nose tackle on the team right now. If he can put on 20 pounds he'll be physically what a nose tackle should be, for the most part. He's listed at 6'1" 306 right now and if he gets to 326 pounds he'll be right around what Most tackles are. Wilfork is 6'2" 325, Casey Hampton is 6'1" 325, Aubrayo Franklin is 6'1" 317 and Ryan Pickett is 6'2" 340.

They can't get rid of him and they have to pray he doesn't get hurt.

I just checked the roster and they have some guys that are close to fitting the NT mold.

Favorite, Marlon DT 6-1 317

Duncan, Rashaad DT 6-2 315

Harvey, Lonnie DT 6-3 342

McCargo, John DT 6-2 307

Hopefully one of these guys will surprise at camp. This might be a position that McCargo's talents will fit. (crossing fingers)

Makes me remember back to when the Bills had Jeff Wright starting at Nose Tackle through all of our Super Bowl years.

All 270 lbs of him.

Before him, Fred Smerlas, after him Ted Washington.

Regardless of what some say, I always thought that team didn't win at least one Super Bowl b/c they sort of seemed to stand pat with where they were at.

EDIT:

Between 1990-1994, 4 out of our first 5 No. 1 picks were DBs (sound familiar?) with the lone exception being John Fina in 1992.

We won't get a low second for him. There is no use exaggerating the trade value of players on our team. I love Kyle but no team will give a low second for him. How many times have we read on this board that we need to upgrade DT and Kyle should be a backup and not a starter. Now he is worth a low second?

Makes me remember back to when the Bills had Jeff Wright starting at Nose Tackle through all of our Super Bowl years.

All 270 lbs of him.

Regardless of what some say, I always thought that team didn't win at least one Super Bowl b/c they sort of seemed to stand pat with where they were at.

EDIT:

Between 1990-1994, 4 out of our first 5 No. 1 picks were DBs (sound familiar?) with the lone exception being John Fina in 1992.

When Wright was playing the OL guys were smaller. A 270 pound NT won't cut it today. JMO

All 270 lbs of him.

EDIT:

I think Emmit Smith would agree with you on that one.

when you are rebuilding your team, you do not get rid of your one best player at their position. even if they do not fit perfectly into your "scheme". you add around them. why would you get rid of Williams, and keep McCargo? Dont assume you are going to be able to replace everyone in one year. There will still be players left over. You want to keep the productive ones.

and more importantly, we're not completely going to a 3-4, we'll be running a hybrid and will be in the 4-3 at times. maybe just as much.

when you are rebuilding your team, you do not get rid of your one best player at their position. even if they do not fit perfectly into your "scheme".

This is exactly what the experts have been saying. Kyle might not be ideal, but he'll give it his best.

The sure-fire way to hit rock bottom as a franchise is to trade a player like that for peanuts without a replacement.

I'm very curious as to what the S&C coaches have mapped out for kyle. Will he be adding weight for the NT or what??.... That will be a big indicator IMO

He needs no less than 20lbs and 15 of it needs to be in his legs and ass to play NT

Forget about all the scheme talk. You keep good football players. Period. Would you get rid of a good QB if the new OC wanted to run a different offense?

I can't wait for the draft and new whinings or justifications. This is the 3rd post on trading Kyle Williams and I'm willing to bet the 5th on Lee Evans will surface before the draft.

Do we know what that defense is? Is it a true 3-4? Everything I've read says 3-4 hybrid. Also, if it is a true 3-4 is it for certain that it is a 2 gap system? Or could it play to his strength and allow him to remain playing as a 1 gap nose.