Aaron Maybin

I like many thought he sucked last year. Because he did, even by rookie standards.

However he was clearly playing out of posititon. Anyone who watched him play at Penn State could see he was OLB at the next level. He was far to small and fast to play DE. (about 6'4 240 last year) Just look at his highlight film in college. Maybin is certainly big and fast enough to play OLB. I can see him having a big year and even justifying his #11 pick. OLB is his natural position. He will be one of the best natural athletes at OLB in the league.

He has added weight and seems to have a very positive attitude about the new system and regime.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like many thought he sucked last year. Because he did, even by rookie standards.

However he was clearly playing out of posititon. Anyone who watched him play at Penn State could see he was OLB at the next level. He was far to small and fast to play DE. (about 6'4 240 last year) Just look at his highlight film in college. Maybin is certainly big and fast enough to play OLB. I can see him having a big year and even justifying his #11 pick. OLB is his natural position. He will be one of the best natural athletes at OLB in the league.

He has added weight and seems to have a very positive attitude about the new system and regime.

I think this switch to the 3-4 has really given me more hope that Maybin will bring something good to the table this year. I agree with you, him being at his natural position really allows for him to make some more plays and actually play more downs this year.

he does not stop, cut or change direction very well......wait til he has to stay with a rb coming out of the backfield on a passing play.....BUST !!

I respectfully disagree. He can stop and cut well. And let's not associate him with that no talent aZZholio lil donte twitner.

I think this switch to the 3-4 has really given me more hope that Maybin will bring something good to the table this year. I agree with you, him being at his natural position really allows for him to make some more plays and actually play more downs this year.

Maybe.

Maybinot.

All of the draft mags I read last year said he was a project with huge upside and that's why he was going in the first round. So a project player is not a bust after one year. OLB may be a much better fit for him, we'll see. The kid has a lot of physical skills but he'll be learning a new position. If he studies hard he can become a great player. JMO

he does not stop, cut or change direction very well......wait til he has to stay with a rb coming out of the backfield on a passing play.....BUST !!

You must not watch Pitts play Woodley can't cover either but he sure is a good olb

You must not watch Pitts play Woodley can't cover either but he sure is a good olb

[/quote

The OP got it wrong....he will be able to cover rbs and te's, he is as athletic as they come. No one said he was the strongest.....that's why he could not get around guys who weighd 100 pounds more than him.

The OP got it wrong....he will be able to cover rbs and te's, he is as athletic as they come. No one said he was the strongest.....that's why he could not get around guys who weighd 100 pounds more than him.

+1

All of the draft mags I read last year said he was a project with huge upside and that's why he was going in the first round. So a project player is not a bust after one year. OLB may be a much better fit for him, we'll see. The kid has a lot of physical skills but he'll be learning a new position. If he studies hard he can become a great player. JMO

The biggest issue with Maybi (he should be refereed to as Maybi, as in Maybi he will be worth the #11 pick some day) is not his fault Orapko fell to the Bills at #11 and the franchise completely messed up.

Orapko stepped in and get 50 tackles his rookie season earned PT and Maybi lingers on the bench as the Highest paid Jill.

The two players' careers are forever linked. Its not fair, but life isn't fair. Maybi doesn't only need to get better and earn PT he needs to outperform Orakpo as well.

But I hope he does perform at OLB.

I have no clue if he has lateral movement. The highlight reels I see, from college, he pretty much just runs really fast in a straight line to the QB.

So Maybi he becomes a good OLB some day in the future but the Bills could have filled immediate needs at #11 with a player that was actually ready to play.

The scariest thing, is maybi in the 2012 season he gets good, you think the Bills are going to pay him premier OLB money?

No, the Bills will continue to be the farm team for the NFL and he will get called up to a contender that will pay him.

The biggest issue with Maybi (he should be refereed to as Maybi, as in Maybi he will be worth the #11 pick some day) is not his fault Orapko fell to the Bills at #11 and the franchise completely messed up.

Orapko stepped in and get 50 tackles his rookie season earned PT and Maybi lingers on the bench as the Highest paid Jill.

The two players' careers are forever linked. Its not fair, but life isn't fair. Maybi doesn't only need to get better and earn PT he needs to outperform Orakpo as well.

But I hope he does perform at OLB.

I have no clue if he has lateral movement. The highlight reels I see, from college, he pretty much just runs really fast in a straight line to the QB.

So Maybi he becomes a good OLB some day in the future but the Bills could have filled immediate needs at #11 with a player that was actually ready to play.

The scariest thing, is maybi in the 2012 season he gets good, you think the Bills are going to pay him premier OLB money?

No, the Bills will continue to be the farm team for the NFL and he will get called up to a contender that will pay him.

just a reminder, Orakpo also had albert haynesworth, and andre carter taking the heat off him, Maybin nor anyone else we would've drafted in that spot, would not have had that luxury last yr. Just saying, its not all about the single player, its a TEAM game.

We'll see. It shouldn't take long to find out.

It still will probably take awhile....still awefully young and still learning a new defense. I think the biggest reasons he was invisible last year were that he was taught two positions of a complex defense (olb and de) which had him thinking too much. On top of that, he was just plain, old weak by NFL standards. He is very young and maybe now he has his NFL "man" body... maybe.

I love his story; having friends like ray lewis, shawn merriman and lavar arrington since high school, how neat is that! Those guys must see something. I loved the way he moved in preseason, fast and low to the ground, like a runnig back. He also looked to hit hard. There was a play in preseason, he was at DE I thnk, and a pass was completed past the LB's and then a low to the ground big blur came otta nowwhere and made a ferociuos tackle. The size, speed and ferocity of the tackle looked so strange in a Bills' uniform, I new it wasn't anyone from the previous years' roster. I watched it 4 or 5 more times. I never did figure out how he got down field...

His rookie season was depressing no doubt, but any bust labels are way too immature. Tons of NFL rookies need years to mature. Yeah, the old Bills's braintrust shoulda taken that into account, but that's not Maybin's fault.

GO BLLS!

just a reminder, Orakpo also had albert haynesworth, and andre carter taking the heat off him, Maybin nor anyone else we would've drafted in that spot, would not have had that luxury last yr. Just saying, its not all about the single player, its a TEAM game.

You are correct sir.

However Maybi couldn't even earn PT.

It wasn't like Maybi was on the field and just couldn't get any tackles.

Maybi was beat for Playing Time by sub par, journeymen veterans.

You think Orakpo would be benched most of the season?

If you locked Orakpo and Maybi in a room together and made them fight it out to the death, hand to hand combat, who do you think comes out of the room?

Orakpo is a physical beast and has proven to be much pro ready.

What is the point of drafting a skinny, fast DE with #11 overall pick? Huge whiff on draft day.

You can get a developmental, skinny-fast DE\LB that will take 3 years of coaching to earn PT in round 4.

But all of that is outside of Maybi's control, its the situation he was put in; I still holdout hope for that the dude earns deserved Playing Time and performs at an all pro level.

Maybin is a bust. He was horrible last year. 18 tackles, 0 sacks. Orakpo had 50 tackles and 11 sacks. This isn't even close.

People love his "story" or his work ethic. None of that means anything if you have the frame of a WR. Maybe he can become a decent OLB. Anything's possible. But he'll never justify the #11 overall pick, and he'll never get out of Orakpo's shadow.