Aaron Maybin

You are correct sir.

However Maybi couldn't even earn PT.

It wasn't like Maybi was on the field and just couldn't get any tackles.

Maybi was beat for Playing Time by sub par, journeymen veterans.

You think Orakpo would be benched most of the season?

If you locked Orakpo and Maybi in a room together and made them fight it out to the death, hand to hand combat, who do you think comes out of the room?

Orakpo is a physical beast and has proven to be much pro ready.

What is the point of drafting a skinny, fast DE with #11 overall pick? Huge whiff on draft day.

You can get a developmental, skinny-fast DE\LB that will take 3 years of coaching to earn PT in round 4.

But all of that is outside of Maybi's control, its the situation he was put in; I still holdout hope for that the dude earns deserved Playing Time and performs at an all pro level.

Obviously, I'm not ready to call maybin a bust, and hold out hope that the 3-4 is a better fit for him, with that said, despite Orakpo's look, I don't think he necessarily would've seen the field too much more than Maybin with Jauron calling the shots, I really think that aside from being drafted waaay out of position, Maybins lack of PT is a function of Jaurons philosophy on rookies, and life in general. He didnt want to throw the kid into the fire unless completely necessary, see byrd for another example of that philosophy. I think jauron babies his players, and in terms of rookies, he wants them to sit and learn unless he HAS to play them.

this yr is a big yr for this team and especially for Mr. Maybin, and I for 1, am excited to see what happens

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like many thought he sucked last year. Because he did, even by rookie standards.

However he was clearly playing out of posititon. Anyone who watched him play at Penn State could see he was OLB at the next level. He was far to small and fast to play DE. (about 6'4 240 last year) Just look at his highlight film in college. Maybin is certainly big and fast enough to play OLB. I can see him having a big year and even justifying his #11 pick. OLB is his natural position. He will be one of the best natural athletes at OLB in the league.

Watch the USC game where he was shut down completely. The second he stepped on the field against a good team in a huge game he did nothing.

His best games were against inferior opponents like Coastal Carolina, Cuse and Temple (5 sacks).

Maybin wil never be a good player.

Maybin is a bust. He was horrible last year. 18 tackles, 0 sacks. Orakpo had 50 tackles and 11 sacks. This isn't even close.

People love his "story" or his work ethic. None of that means anything if you have the frame of a WR. Maybe he can become a decent OLB. Anything's possible. But he'll never justify the #11 overall pick, and he'll never get out of Orakpo's shadow.

Huh, could you tell us the meaning of life as well....

I like many thought he sucked last year. Because he did, even by rookie standards.

However he was clearly playing out of posititon. Anyone who watched him play at Penn State could see he was OLB at the next level. He was far to small and fast to play DE. (about 6'4 240 last year) Just look at his highlight film in college. Maybin is certainly big and fast enough to play OLB. I can see him having a big year and even justifying his #11 pick. OLB is his natural position. He will be one of the best natural athletes at OLB in the league.

He has added weight and seems to have a very positive attitude about the new system and regime.

Does he even have one?

I think Maybin has shown he has the work ethic when it comes to the physical part of the job, from what I hear he trains pretty hard. I think the knock on him so far has been more the mental aspect of the game, studying, inexperience so forth. His strength is his ability to speed rush, so hopefully this regime can find a way to utilize his talents and get the most out of him.

I think if he can pan out the draft class the Bills had last year will go down as one of the better ones in recent memory. Wood (if he comes back completely healthy from injury), Levitre I think will be solid guards for years to come. Jairus Byrd...enough said! I think Shawn Nelson has all kinds of ability, and I think Chan Gailey will put him in a situation he can succeed (hint hint, not the play action 5 yard roll outs that we had him doing last year). I'm really high on Nic Harris...I just love the way this guy plays football...I hope the new regime sees it and can find a way to fit him in some how to their new scheme. Looks like Ellis Lankster and Carey Harris are going to be solid depth players.

I think Maybin has shown he has the work ethic when it comes to the physical part of the job, from what I hear he trains pretty hard. I think the knock on him so far has been more the mental aspect of the game, studying, inexperience so forth. His strength is his ability to speed rush, so hopefully this regime can find a way to utilize his talents and get the most out of him.

I think if he can pan out the draft class the Bills had last year will go down as one of the better ones in recent memory. Wood (if he comes back completely healthy from injury), Levitre I think will be solid guards for years to come. Jairus Byrd...enough said! I think Shawn Nelson has all kinds of ability, and I think Chan Gailey will put him in a situation he can succeed (hint hint, not the play action 5 yard roll outs that we had him doing last year). I'm really high on Nic Harris...I just love the way this guy plays football...I hope the new regime sees it and can find a way to fit him in some how to their new scheme. Looks like Ellis Lankster and Carey Harris are going to be solid depth players.

I was thinking the same thing, I think Maybin will do better in the 3-4. Nelson has all kind of skills and could make a difference in the passing game from the TE position. You mentioned the rest of the players above. If ( I know it is a big if) Maybin and Nelson pan out, 2009 will be the best draft in recent bills history. 5 starters is excellent. Check it out

http://www.databasefootball.com/draft/draf...=BUF&lg=NFL

He has added weight and seems to have a very positive attitude about the new system and regime.

Maybin wants to be a killer and he will be. Like any younger guy (He was one of the youngest players in the league last year) it just takes time for them to come around and now that his position assignment is straightened out he'll take control.

how did you come to this evaluation? he certainly didn't play enough last year. was it from his college tapes?

well....just from first hand viewing.....i'm a season ticket holder.....i like to tape the game and watch it when i get home......while at the game i enjoy keying on a particular player and watch that player on every single play, no matter where the ball is (thats why i want more in stadium replays).....anyways, last season, on offense i watched T.O. all the time (dude was wide open so much it was sickening, but not in the first 2-3 seconds of the play)......on defense i watched Maybin.....and when he wasn't in, i watched Stroud (still a beast, getting double teamed on most plays, but was effected by injury) or other DT's.....back to Maybin, he seems fast...almost very fast, but either over ran or was faked out on every single play. i think he made like 1 tackle all year. he just couldn't change direction very well. it seemed to me that he pretty much had the green light to get to the qb as his first option on each play.... once the play developed , he was slow to react to it. he had zero push on the OT, relied completely on speed.

i agree that the 3-4 is better suited for him, but i think he will be exposed when trying to cover a RB coming out of the backfield. i truly hope he is successful, but based i what i saw his rookie season, i don't think he comes anywhere near a first round grade......hence, calling him a BUST !!

well....just from first hand viewing.....i'm a season ticket holder.....i like to tape the game and watch it when i get home......while at the game i enjoy keying on a particular player and watch that player on every single play, no matter where the ball is (thats why i want more in stadium replays).....anyways, last season, on offense i watched T.O. all the time (dude was wide open so much it was sickening, but not in the first 2-3 seconds of the play)......on defense i watched Maybin.....and when he wasn't in, i watched Stroud (still a beast, getting double teamed on most plays, but was effected by injury) or other DT's.....back to Maybin, he seems fast...almost very fast, but either over ran or was faked out on every single play. i think he made like 1 tackle all year. he just couldn't change direction very well. it seemed to me that he pretty much had the green light to get to the qb as his first option on each play.... once the play developed , he was slow to react to it. he had zero push on the OT, relied completely on speed.

i agree that the 3-4 is better suited for him, but i think he will be exposed when trying to cover a RB coming out of the backfield. i truly hope he is successful, but based i what i saw his rookie season, i don't think he comes anywhere near a first round grade......hence, calling him a BUST !!

He was very dissappointing, hold out, lack of production and looking very small for his position but it is way too early to declare him a bust. If he doesn't show massive improvement this year then I will join you in your assesment. He does have a few things going for him this year. He is a worker and he will be playing a position that he has a fighting chance to compete at.

As a general rule, I don't care to draft PSU (and OSU) players. Both teams are in States that are hotbeds of high school ball, both have extensive recruitment and get the cream of that local crop and also have huge roster numbers. They have their up and down years, but year in and year out, feature pretty strong lines and linebacking. The kid that signs that letter of intent is assured of having a decent supporting cast.

Maybin was in a strong program.

A few points on Maybin:

1) Too early to declare him a bust. Absurd notion.

2) That said, I don't envision him justifying his being the #11 pick in the draft. Not that he won't be pretty good, but I don't see any Pro Bowls in his future.

3) I don't hate on the player. Lots of people here hate on Maybin for tweeting for instance. From everything I've read, Maybin has a great work ethic and a great attitude. If he fails it's because the Bills took the wrong player (and at least for one season, played him at the wrong position)...and that's not Aaron Maybin's fault.

4) Being a hard core Bills fan, I hope he succeeds.

Maybin is a bust. He was horrible last year. 18 tackles, 0 sacks. Orakpo had 50 tackles and 11 sacks. This isn't even close.

People love his "story" or his work ethic. None of that means anything if you have the frame of a WR. Maybe he can become a decent OLB. Anything's possible. But he'll never justify the #11 overall pick, and he'll never get out of Orakpo's shadow.

Wow, could you tell us the meaning of life as well while you're at it!

Wow, what stocks should I buy? What week would be a good week to take my vacation?

What are you doing wasting time on this web-site?

I don't have any great faith in Maybin and think drafting him was a mistake if for no other reason b/c he didn't fit the scheme he was drafted to play in and we had greater needs. That being said, he was put in a position where he was never likely to succeed. Extrapolating from his inability to produce as a 4-3 end in limited time as an undersized rookie, that he won't be able to apply pressure as a 3-4 olb seems a bit premature to me.

I'm curious what tune those so quick to label a 21 yr old rookie a bust will be singing if he knocks down double digit sacks this season.

I don't have any great faith in Maybin and think drafting him was a mistake if for no other reason b/c he didn't fit the scheme he was drafted to play in and we had greater needs. That being said, he was put in a position where he was never likely to succeed. Extrapolating from his inability to produce as a 4-3 end in limited time as an undersized rookie, that he won't be able to apply pressure as a 3-4 olb seems a bit premature to me.

I'm curious what tune those so quick to label a 21 yr old rookie a bust will be singing if he knocks down double digit sacks this season.

If Maybin knocks down 10+ sacks this year I will be the first to carve myself out a nice piece of humble pie, and be happy to do it. But he won't. As a 3-4 OLB he's still going against OT's nearly a hundred pounds bigger than him, and I don't think he has the strength to overcome it. He didn't even sniff the QB last year. Having good games as a sophmore against Akron and Appalachian State or whomever doesn't equate to being a good pass rusher in the NFL.

Wow, what stocks should I buy? What week would be a good week to take my vacation?

Since my Series 7 license is still technically valid, I can't even answer that in jest.

What are you doing wasting time on this web-site?

That's an excellent question...