what's wrong with claussen?

QB w/o LT = :angry:

Kurt Warner had the Bills' very own Mike Gandy at LT. Arizona's offense did okay.

Clearly the Bills need a LT. Ridiculously badly, in fact. No arguing that!! But QB is harder to fill, and more important, than LT. So if a QB worthy of going 9th overall is there when the Bills pick, they should take him. Period. LT will need to be addressed soon, and in a big way. Possibly, the Bills could use a second round pick on a LT this year, and a first round pick on LT next year. Then they could move the second round OT from this year to RT.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okung & Bulaga will be gone, Trent Williams is rumored to be a better right tackle (plus he's probaly gone by #9) Anthony Davis' play supposedly does not match his formidable talents (plus he could be gone too) so taking a tackle is by no means a slam dunk. I think Claussen will also be gone by pick nine, but I'm starting to think should we get him we will have done well in rd. 1.

I don't watch Norte dame, but seeing USA TODAYS 8 mock drafts showing Claussen going to the Bills made me run a search on him...there's a lot of video to look at, for one.....I saw a very quick release, very good pocket presence, certainly an adequate arm... maybe better...I read many draft reviews on him and everybody seemed tolike him, his stats, for a big school are very impressive...he is a california boy and his 1st name is a pickle are the worst things I could find on him (and remember, if he wins the pickle name will become cool.)

Sooo....using your big words, what's everybody got against him?

And, assuming we can't trade down (maybe someone will fall in love with Spiller or my pick as the surprise draft faller...Berry, but I think teams will wait in a draft loaded from picks 10 - 30), and the top tackles are gone, so who do you take?

And for the derrick morgan fans...I'm pretty sure the Bills have Maybin penciled in at ROLB. It's not like the guy died or nothing...sheesh he's what? 23? Do you see him as a RDE?

Who do I think we'll end up with (forced to draft)? Spiller...which is not such a bad thing

Haha, let the insults fly!

Jimmy Clausen arrived to Notre Dame in a Limo to sign his letter of intent!

His fellow players elected him captain. He played hurt and brought his team back in the 4th plenty of times. He accumulated great numbers playing for a fairly mediocre team against top competition under the biggest microscope in college football. This guy is no Ryan Leaf. By comparison, Leaf played in relative obscurity until he rocketed up the draft boards in his senior year.

And a kid at his school, slugged him...IN THE FACE mind you. And thats not all, he did it in front of his parents. Here's my 2 cents:

1. He has a major attitude problem (see Shanahans move/opinion after spend some time with him).

2. His fellow players did not necessarily elect him at all, that program has been in complete disarray since Willingham.

3. Again, I feel like I've been beating my head against the wall with all of you, but has anyone seen him play prior to last year? I suggest you do.

4. His pocket presence is not good, analysist are completely overpaid boobs, like Mel Kiper Jr....I actually like this guy, but he works for ESPN (which is a horrible network or station), so he's paid to pretend to be cool (which he is, but ESPN isnt) and state the complete obvious.

Just my thoughts.

Not at all. Washington took a proven NFL quantity over a draft prospect. That is all.

If you dont like clausen thats fine but Shanahan wanting a guy who has been to 5 NFC championships vs a rookie really doesnt say a lot about the rookie no matter how much you want it to.

I disagree with your logic. The Redskins could have easily taken Clausen with their pick and plugged him in like Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez or Matt Stafford were. If Clausen shows this "franchise-QB" trait that many of his fans think he displays -- why in the world would you bypass him to take an aging QB with a history of injuries?

Washington had 5 wins last season and as delusional as Dan Snyder's win-now, overpay-for-player's mindset is -- they hired Shanahan for the long-term not the short term.

Also - Shanahan knows a thing or two about QB's (Elway,Cutler) and if he doesn't think Clausen warrants a pick that high -- why would he be an attractive option 5 picks later?

I disagree with your logic. The Redskins could have easily taken Clausen with their pick and plugged him in like Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez or Matt Stafford were. If Clausen shows this "franchise-QB" trait that many of his fans think he displays -- why in the world would you bypass him to take an aging QB with a history of injuries?

Washington had 5 wins last season and as delusional as Dan Snyder's win-now, overpay-for-player's mindset is -- they hired Shanahan for the long-term not the short term.

Also - Shanahan knows a thing or two about QB's (Elway,Cutler) and if he doesn't think Clausen warrants a pick that high -- why would he be an attractive option 5 picks later?

don't get me wrong, I love cutler's physical traits, but what has he ever done to be considered a top tier QB? playoffs, back to back winning seasons, really what has cutler done? shannahan was handed elway, he didnt draft him. Shannahan and allen want to win NOW, and history dictates that a mcnabb gives them a better chance at that than a rookie.

Leaf threw more Td's and more yards on a worse team...it's all about the horrible attitude....Leaf was constantly, ESPECIALLY AFTER BIG LOSSES, losing his cool in the bar or in an interview....

We all know Clausen does the same thing.... after a big loss, him and his girl "exchanging words" and BANG PUNCHED IN HIS PUNK AZZ FACE...Jimmy Clausen is a bum, bust, loser, stay the hell out of Buffalo...BUFFALO FANS ARE TOUGHER THAN NOTRE DAME FANS....

that fan was heckling him and screaming obscenities at him, clausen blew off the fan (like any good player should in that situation), and the fan attacked him. you've already admitted you know NOTHING about QB's, well take it from a guy that has a good eye for QB's, Clausen is a good one, football is his life, he wants to be a winner. thats why other players hate him, cause he doesnt think twice about letting the other team know about it when he scores (phillip rivers), does that make him a dick, maybe? but that does NOT mean he's a bad player.

shannahan was handed elway, he didnt draft him.

Agreed - but he knows what to look for in a QB based on these two. As for Cutler -- he turned in his best season under Shanny and had an unbelievable year -- the likes of which Bills fans haven't seen since Kelly (I don't count 1/2 season of Bledsoe).

He sucks - i.e. he is not worth the 9th pick...glad I could help.

More to the point

IF all the OTs are gone, there will be an outstanding D (front 7) player available. We have other needs and this is a weak year for QB's. This team is not going anywhere next year and the Bills will be drafting in the top 10 in 2011 (assuming there will be a 2011 NFL season) and the QB class looks promising next year. No need to reach for Claussen. Rebuild the lines and purge the roster.

And a kid at his school, slugged him...IN THE FACE mind you. And thats not all, he did it in front of his parents. Here's my 2 cents:

1. He has a major attitude problem (see Shanahans move/opinion after spend some time with him).

2. His fellow players did not necessarily elect him at all, that program has been in complete disarray since Willingham.

3. Again, I feel like I've been beating my head against the wall with all of you, but has anyone seen him play prior to last year? I suggest you do.

4. His pocket presence is not good, analysist are completely overpaid boobs, like Mel Kiper Jr....I actually like this guy, but he works for ESPN (which is a horrible network or station), so he's paid to pretend to be cool (which he is, but ESPN isnt) and state the complete obvious.

Just my thoughts.

I like a QB with some swagger and cockiness personally....Remember Kelly when he came in?

or is it possible that he wanted mcnabb all along and it has notrhing to do with clausen? mcnabb has been pretty durable i think hes missed 5 games in 3 years.... not too bad.

And this isnt a defense of clausen, i dont think hes the answer.

TOo many people making too many assumptions.

Okung & Bulaga will be gone, Trent Williams is rumored to be a better right tackle (plus he's probaly gone by #9) Anthony Davis' play supposedly does not match his formidable talents (plus he could be gone too) so taking a tackle is by no means a slam dunk. I think Claussen will also be gone by pick nine, but I'm starting to think should we get him we will have done well in rd. 1.

I don't watch Norte dame, but seeing USA TODAYS 8 mock drafts showing Claussen going to the Bills made me run a search on him...there's a lot of video to look at, for one.....I saw a very quick release, very good pocket presence, certainly an adequate arm... maybe better...I read many draft reviews on him and everybody seemed tolike him, his stats, for a big school are very impressive...he is a california boy and his 1st name is a pickle are the worst things I could find on him (and remember, if he wins the pickle name will become cool.)

And, assuming we can't trade down (maybe someone will fall in love with Spiller or my pick as the surprise draft faller...Berry, but I think teams will wait in a draft loaded from picks 10 - 30), and the top tackles are gone, so who do you take?

And for the derrick morgan fans...I'm pretty sure the Bills have Maybin penciled in at ROLB. It's not like the guy died or nothing...sheesh he's what? 23? Do you see him as a RDE?

Who do I think we'll end up with (forced to draft)? Spiller...which is not such a bad thing

It's Claussen with one s.

Personally I would be fine with him.

Reports about his attitude come from people whose research on him involves reading what has been available in print and making determinations from those reports. It's not completely unreasonable for McShay and other analysts to make certain assessments via research alone, but intangibles such as leadership seem to be something you may want to have first hand knowledge of precisely because they are intangible. So the question then is, what is available on Claussen in print? He came to school as a cocky prick. Fact. He arrived in a limo and made some stupid comment to the effect of "4 years, 4 national championships." He then proceeded to be so battered starting as a freshman that by all accounts, he did a 180 and learned a great deal about keeping his mouth shut and just playing with confidence. He then proceeded to play through on some truly poor teams and did in fact take his beating without complaining and often carried the team himself.

Charlie Weis was a piss poor head coach and there is a reason he was fired and ND had the record it had last season. The kid will be a solid NFL QB. He has a strong arm and has played in at times abysmal weather conditions at ND stadium. I don't have a problem with him being out pick at 9. But I would still rather have a NT or LT.

I wanna know why Brett Farve can wear tight shorts while driving his tractor but we are bashing Jimmy Clausen's nuts because he is wearing a speedo at the lake.......

And I would furhter like to know how that translates out to him being a bad QB.....are people afraid he will also do it in a blizzard in Buffalo?

that fan was heckling him and screaming obscenities at him, clausen blew off the fan (like any good player should in that situation), and the fan attacked him. you've already admitted you know NOTHING about QB's, well take it from a guy that has a good eye for QB's, Clausen is a good one, football is his life, he wants to be a winner. thats why other players hate him, cause he doesnt think twice about letting the other team know about it when he scores (phillip rivers), does that make him a dick, maybe? but that does NOT mean he's a bad player.

Does he talk a lot of crap on the field?

What up with your avatar?

Does he talk a lot of crap on the field?

What up with your avatar?

From what I've seen he talks crap when guys get in his face or when he makes big plays, he's. An excitable guy on the field

My avatar is deadpool, and he is awesome

No insults here...pretty good blogging! Well, you named several names you expect to be gone...so here's my 2 cents..lol

Well it's probably likely that Bradford is going to St. Louis...especially since M. Bulger was just released after Bradford's workout. Most draft guru's are sure that Suh and McCoy will be drafted either pick #2 and #3 but definitely within 5 picks...

So 3 are off the board...Most draft analysts also project Russell Okung OT to go quick and I agree with that...So 4 are gone and probably close to that order! Pick 5 is interesting as it's K.C.'s and I could see someone trading up there or even at 4 with Washington so they can get their second round pick back from the McNabb trade! As a matter of fact I will call that in advance!! But, I still think those 4 players will be gone..and who knows maybe the deadskins might keep that 4th pick to get Okung to protect McNabb which may make sense depending on their current offensive line status which I am unsure about. I think when you look at picks 5-8 right before us you have to figure that at least one and maybe two more OT may be off the board. I would think that Bryan Bulaga OT and Trent Williams OT would be the two. I think Bulaga has shot up the draft boards and will be chosen before Williams. In my little mock...I am working on, I notice if someone scoops up Clausen then that will probably free up another OT to choose from ie: Bryan Bulaga, or Trent Williams. So it's quite possible we may have 2 or 3 good OT's to choose from, possibly Clausen, a couple of outstanding receievers (even though I wouldn't use my 1st pick for a receiver)....a superb running back, a good rush LB in Morgan as well. If that chain is broken in my mock by unexpected selections in the top 10 this could also free up a few more coveted players. There are often surprises and tradeups for coveted players...So, I would say being at #9 is a good place to be, but if you want a guaranteed opportunity to select one of the following players... Bulaga, T. Wiliams, or J. Clausen then I am convinced you should trade-up to the 7th spot with Cleveland...(Cleveland traded down several times last year and I believe they would consider it once again!). If you want a guarantee of getting either Bulaga or Clausen you need to go to #5. If you want a guarantee to get Clausen as your QB then you must move up to #4 with the Redskins! So the necessary move or non-move is determined by the player that you covet most for your team. I think the Bills will attempt to move up in the draft...and if you see them trade away a player just prior to the draft ie: M. Lynch, R. Parrish etc...and especially if they bunch a couple players for a 2nd or 3rd round pick....I would expect that they will move-up in the draft. I think they will only move up to get a QB...and I expect it to be Clausen IMO. We'll see...and it should be fun!!! There are some interesting

prospects if you decide to focus on a QB a bit later, (which I think is foolish)..but if so then I think J. Crompton is a very good pick with great potential or even Tony Pike QB. I read up on each of them and feel that they will have a better future in the NFL than Colt McCoy or Dan Leflevor...but that's just my opinion. I Think if you want Clausen it's gonna cost you, but if the Bills scouts are adamant about his talent and potential then go for it as your premier position is QB. What would a team give up now for a rookie if he were the next Peyton Manning guaranteed!! Well you'd give up your entire draft for that one player! (at least I would). So alot will be based on the organizations conviction on a particular player. It will be hard for the Bills to get one of the top 7 or 8 Offensive Tackles and to select Clausen at QB! It will not be costly or difficult

to get Bryan Bulaga and Tony Pike or Crompton, or Tebow, or Leflevor, etc...as your QB. So it's based on the organizational priorities specifically and I hope those have changed since last year when we took Maybin over Orakapo!!!

#1 Sam Bradford QB

#2 McCoy DT

#3 Suh DT

#4 R. Okung OT

#5 Bryan Bulaga OT *Interesting..good trade-down slot...could be Eric Berry S/CB

#6 Trent Williams OT

#7 Joe Haden CB

#8 Jason Pierre-Paul DE or Bruce Campbell OT (Al davis usually go with players with freakish athrleticism)

#9 Possibly still available- Jimmy Clausen QB (50/50%), Anthony Davis OT, Dez Bryant WR, Demarius Thomas WR,

C.J. Spiller RB, Taylor Mays S, Derrick Morgan DE,