Terrence Cody

Just read a mock draft on Sportline.com and they have Bills taking Cody in the second round as many here have posted they would like to see. Is anyone else scared by the man boobs and only 22 reps on the bench press? Seems more fluffernutter than the anchor of the 3-4 defense. Wilfork did 36 reps and ran the 40 a half a second faster (5.6 vs 5.1 secs). I am not sure he is the answer at NT and maybe he falls to the third round.

I am thinking LT in the first, LB in the second(totally against Tebow), Cody if he is there in the third or a QB(Pike).

Thoughts on Cody?

Cody is weak right now because he was not staying in shape...but he's a gamer...just watch tape on him...everyone must have known that he would do horrible at the combine...he also went from 378 to 345 in like minutes lol...but you watch this kid play and you'll have your answer...he pushes the pocket without breaking a sweat...he's the PERFECT anchor for the NT in a 34...he IS Ted Washington...

All that being said, I say we pass anyway because Linval Joseph can play NT...many keep saying DE in a 34 but the kid is 325 and is easily strong enough 39 reps at the combine...and not only does he push the pocket but he gets off blocks to make plays himself to...he's the total package and could be available a round later...he's faster and stronger than both Williams and Cody...this kid is the best NT in the draft...IMO...plus he's got a mean streak a mile wide...I like that in a DT...

I say we trade up for Bulaga or Okung...and get Joseph...we're beastin in 2010...

Cody is a 4-5th round prospect that a team will probably overdraft. He's out of shape, slow as hell, and although massive is not very strong. When he gets quality NFL guards and centers who understand leverage they will take care of Cody easily (Mankins, Mangold, etc.). Sure he was a mamoth in college and occupied blockers, but he needs to lose some serious weight and add a lot of strength to compete in the NFL.

If Cody was not able to stay properly conditioned heading into his first and only draft where millions of $ are on the line, what makes you think he'll be motivated once he gets some $. I'm not nearly as high on Cody as most here, I think guys like Jeff Owens (Georgia) are far superior prospects. Cody in the 4th, I'd be fine with, in the 2nd hell no, he's just not a top 50 prospect.

I believe that Mt. Cody was a better collegiate player than everyone elses man crush around here - Dan Williams. Who cares what that fat guy ran in the 40. Neither he or Wilfork will be chasing any position players down the field. The 22 bench reps are somewhat of a concern, but the man can always add strength and shed useless fat. He has athleticism that can't be taught for a man his size. I would absolutely love to pick him up in the 2nd - even if Tebow is still on the board. If he remains driven to shed useless fat (as he has shown in preparation for this draft), he can be the 3-4 anchor of this defense for the next 10 years. A more athletic Ted Washington..

Cody is a 4-5th round prospect that a team will probably overdraft. He's out of shape, slow as hell, and although massive is not very strong. When he gets quality NFL guards and centers who understand leverage they will take care of Cody easily (Mankins, Mangold, etc.). Sure he was a mamoth in college and occupied blockers, but he needs to lose some serious weight and add a lot of strength to compete in the NFL.

If Cody was not able to stay properly conditioned heading into his first and only draft where millions of $ are on the line, what makes you think he'll be motivated once he gets some $. I'm not nearly as high on Cody as most here, I think guys like Jeff Owens (Georgia) are far superior prospects. Cody in the 4th, I'd be fine with, in the 2nd hell no, he's just not a top 50 prospect.

Alabama thought the same thing...because out of HS Cody showed up over 400 pounds...but never missed a game due to his weight...he gets way outta shape during the offseason sometimes...he's a 1st and 2nd down tackle...people say he's not worth a high pick because of that...but...NO RUNNING BACK HAS EVER GONE OVER A 100 YARDS WITH CODY PLAYING...period...THAT is worth a high round pick regardless of how many downs he plays...he dropped from 378 to 345...to show the NFL teams he could do it...just watch tape instead of the combine and the ESPN analysts and tell me he isn't worth a high round pick...

Cody is weak right now because he was not staying in shape...but he's a gamer...just watch tape on him...everyone must have known that he would do horrible at the combine...he also went from 378 to 345 in like minutes lol...but you watch this kid play and you'll have your answer...he pushes the pocket without breaking a sweat...he's the PERFECT anchor for the NT in a 34...he IS Ted Washington...

All that being said, I say we pass anyway because Linval Joseph can play NT...many keep saying DE in a 34 but the kid is 325 and is easily strong enough 39 reps at the combine...and not only does he push the pocket but he gets off blocks to make plays himself to...he's the total package and could be available a round later...he's faster and stronger than both Williams and Cody...this kid is the best NT in the draft...IMO...plus he's got a mean streak a mile wide...I like that in a DT...

I say we trade up for Bulaga or Okung...and get Joseph...we're beastin in 2010...

I like Linval Joseph as well, better suited to come in and contribute immediately as a NT than Cody. If he's there in the 3rd round it'd be a great pick, I think he goes somewhere in the 2nd though.

I like Linval Joseph as well, better suited to come in and contribute immediately as a NT than Cody. If he's there in the 3rd round it'd be a great pick, I think he goes somewhere in the 2nd though.

I also like Joseph as a NT, however, his height may be an issue, he is listed at 6-5, and NT usually are a bit shorter, I know Haynesworth has publicly voiced his concern about playing NT b/c he is 6-6, and has concerns about leverage. just a thought.

Joseph may be gone in the 2nd that's why I'd be trading up and down the boards like I was Bill Bellichek hehehhhe...I'd swap picks with Detroit, Bucs, or Washington...give my third rounder to do it...land Okung or Bulaga definitely...then I trade down in the second to pick up a mid third rounder back up...snatch up Linval in the mid 2nd round and then go DE/OLB tweener if a good one is still sitting around in the mid third round...if not I go QB...

What he said! :thumbsup:

Torrell Troup is the guy I like. The knock on him is that he's a marginal pass rusher. However, from what I've read about all of the NT's in the draft it seems none of them are standout pass rushers. Cody's not even considered to be a third down player. Cody is a 70% bust potential IMO.

Ted Washington played more than 40% of the snaps in college. Cody has a long way to go before he's anywhere close to Ted Washington. The just-graduated Cody looks like the 40 year old on his last legs Washington.

Cody in the second is probably worth it. But he could weight 450 in three years and destroy his knees with the weight and be out of football in three years. That's the risk you run with him. Boom or bust.

I agree with most of your post, though I think you exaggerate your points.

But... you think Cody isn't strong? Seriously? The man's unbelievably strong. He may not be all that great at lifting weights a lot of times, but on the field, it's clearly there, and a lot of it. I share your concerns about conditioning, though.

NO RUNNING BACK HAS EVER GONE OVER A 100 YARDS WITH CODY PLAYING...period...

Was Cody alone out there? Alabama has a sensational defence, crammed with guys who are simply better athletes than you find on virtually any of the teams they play. Cody only played on 40% of their snaps. How come nobody destroyed Alabama while he was out of the game? Because they're talent-rich to a fairly absurd degree.

Also, look at their schedule. A lot of cupcakes and a lot of "pretty good" teams there:

09/05/09 vs. Virginia Tech Atlanta, Ga. W, 34-24

09/12/09 vs. Florida International Tuscaloosa, Ala. W, 40-14

09/19/09 vs. North Texas Tuscaloosa, Ala. W, 53-7

09/26/09 vs. Arkansas * Tuscaloosa, Ala. W, 35-7

10/03/09 at Kentucky * Lexington, Ky. W, 38-20

10/10/09 at Mississippi * Oxford, Miss. W, 22-3

10/17/09 vs. South Carolina (Homecoming) * Tuscaloosa, Ala. W, 20-6

10/24/09 vs. Tennessee * Tuscaloosa, Ala. W, 12-10

11/07/09 vs. LSU * Tuscaloosa, Ala. W, 24-15

11/14/09 at Mississippi State * Starkville, Miss. W, 31-3

11/21/09 vs. Tennessee-Chattanooga Tuscaloosa, Ala. W, 45-0

11/27/09 at Auburn * Auburn, Ala. W, 26-21

12/05/09 vs. Florida * Atlanta, GA W, 32-13

01/07/10 vs. Texas (BCS National Championship Game) Pasadena, Calif. W, 37-21

NO RUNNING BACK HAS EVER GONE OVER A 100 YARDS WITH CODY PLAYING...period...

Was Cody alone out there? Alabama has a sensational defence, crammed with guys who are simply better athletes than you find on virtually any of the teams they play. Cody only played on 40% of their snaps. How come nobody destroyed Alabama while he was out of the game? Because they're talent-rich to a fairly absurd degree.

Also, look at their schedule. A lot of cupcakes and a lot of "pretty good" teams there:

If he remains driven to shed useless fat (as he has shown in preparation for this draft), ...

He actually showed it for about, what, 3 - 4 weeks in prep for the draft. He actually put on a lot of weight before the Senior Bowl. This is a huge worry with him.

If you look at the trending in weight it has been consistently downward, with some hiccups. If it continues to be 3 steps forward, 1 step back, 2 steps forward, 1 step back, im not nearly as concerned as if he starts putting on major weight.

also -- cody put up 485 on the bench at bama -- if i remember correctly.

heres a link to an article, some worries me, some gives a lot of confidence.... ill pull a few quotes. Its from before he even got to bama. I think I would be more concerned about his shy/homesick factor then his weight issues. I think if the weight does become an issue it will be from a depression standpoint, not a "i signed my check now lets eat up" source. It seems he has a lot of growing to do as a man, but it also seems like he has a pretty good head on his shoulders to start out. I think after dad died, and mom was supporting a large family (dont quote me but i think its like 6-7 siblings), i think it is easy to find yourself slacking on school, not taking care of his body -- i also think its very impressive for him to realize his opportunities and get eligible academically, and come so far physically to be healthy enough to play.

http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=806609

When MGCCC's players maxed out in the weight room in the spring of 2007, Cody put up 400 on the bench press, but couldn't max out on the squat rack. He handled 660 pounds with little trouble, but the Bulldogs coaching staff wasn't comfortable with the degree to which the bar would bend if Cody had tried a 700-pound squat.

But while MGCCC coaches saw plenty of potential in Cody, their initial expectations were very reserved.

"First day of practice, we didn't expect him to make it through the first five minutes," said Campbell. "We're sure he's going to be cramped up under the tent with all the rest of them that are too heavy. You figure anyone that big has their problems - high blood pressure, dehydration, hurt all the time, can't move - whatever. Well, in two years here, he never missed one period of practice. Never cramped or dehydrated once."

Cody was never eligible for the Pop Warner youth leagues in Ft. Myers because he was always over the weight limit. So when he first arrived at Riverdale as a freshman in the fall of 2002, he was 6-4, 285 pounds, but didn't even know what it felt like to strap a helmet on. By the end of that season, he had been promoted to Riverdale's varsity squad and was already dominating. Classroom struggles, however, nearly sank his football career before it ever launched. He was academically ineligible as a sophomore and again as a junior, a by-product of, in his words, "running with the wrong crowd." It was little wonder, then, that college recruiters had never heard of Terrence Cody when he was a senior, and Jones had to sell MGCCC on him just to open one last door for his career. Not much, apparently, has ever come easy. "His dad died when he was 11, and he had some weird things going on at home, and ended up being taken in by another family," Jones said. Jones personally tutored Cody back to eligibility for his senior season at Riverdale, and two years of rust came off quickly.

All SEC performer, routinely ties up two blockers. He played for Nick Saban who knows a thing or two about defense. I think Cody would look great at NT for Buffalo. Watch the tape, he makes plays, more importantly his linebackers make plays.

I have gone back and forth on this guy. I am not opposed to taking him but I guess it will just depend on what is available in the second round when the Bills pick. If all of the top guys I like are gone then sure I would take a chance on a guy who could become a dominate DT. Maybe, and its a big maybe, becoming a professional and being around a group of pros will motivate this guy to get himself in shape. Nobody can question the kind of athlete this guy is for his size.

Here's something I got off of a Pats* board:

"Here are two recent reviews of Terrance Cody and Dan Williams by KC Joyner at the Draftlab for ESPN Insider.

First, Cody:

The NFL scouting combine has a wide variety of drills to gauge a player's proficiency in many physical areas -- the bench press measures strength, the vertical jump and broad jump grade short-area burst capabilities and the 20- and 60-yard shuttle drills rank a player's ability to start and stop quickly.

As valuable as these training methods are, after looking at game tapes of Alabama Crimson Tide nose tackle Terrence Cody, it is clear there is one physical attribute the combine doesn't measure that it badly needs to.

That attribute is endurance. Look at Cody's relative lack of playing time in a key, four-game SEC stretch that the Crimson Tide recently went through (at Kentucky, at Mississippi, vs. South Carolina, vs. Tennessee).

Alabama faced 116 rushing plays in those games and Cody was on the field for only 68 of them, or 58.6 percent. Nick Saban's defense also faced 165 pass plays and Cody was in the game on but 54 of those plays, or 32.7 percent. Add the two together and Cody was in the Alabama defensive lineup on only 122 of 281 plays -- or only 43.4 percent of the time. To look at it another way, he was on the field for approximately 30 out of 70 plays per game.

That sounds like a low number, but a key element in the Draft Lab series is that any collegiate totals have to be compared to NFL totals to see how they contrast. The expectation is that a draft prospect should be able to post totals against the lower level of competition in college that are appreciably better than a pro player's totals against NFL talent.

In Cody's case, a perfect comparison would be how his playing time matches up against that of NFL nose tackles. I don't have those numbers available, but I do have a reasonable facsimile in a 2007 study I did on playing time for three top 4-3 defensive tackles the previous season: Albert Haynesworth, Cory Redding and Kevin Williams.

At the time of the study, Redding and Williams were both noted for their ability as every-down players, but Haynesworth had the same knock on him about his inability to stay on the field that he has today. If Cody's collegiate playing time doesn't even match Haynesworth's it cannot be seen as a good sign, but there is a caveat: Alabama has a deep defensive line rotation. It is possible that Cody could play more, but without a way of measuring endurance, NFL teams will have a tough time determining if that is the case.

That isn't the only caveat, however. Cody reportedly weighed more than 400 pounds as a juco player, and the first thing the Crimson Tide coaching staff told him when he transferred to Alabama was that he would have to lose a good deal of weight in order to get on the field. He certainly accomplished that, with his reported weight now at 354 pounds, but it very well could be that the Bama coaching staff still lacks faith in his ability to stay on the field for longer periods of time.

The Haynesworth comparison is also not entirely apt because Cody's performance metrics in these four games come nowhere close to matching Haynesworth's totals. Cody did draw a higher rate of double-teams (63.6 percent to Haynesworth's 2007 double-team mark of 51.3 percent) but he notched only five Point of Attack (POA) blocking wins in 22 POA runs, or a win rate of 22.7 percent. In the three full seasons of run metrics I have completed on Haynesworth over the years, his POA win rates were 43.4 percent (2005), 32.3 percent (2007) and 23.8 percent (2008). Haynesworth's metrics are a high bar to reach, but if Cody cannot exceed those totals against college blockers, it stands to reason that he might struggle to equal those numbers at the pro level.

Cody also was basically nonexistent as a pass-rusher. He relied heavily on the bull rush and sometimes got into a very bad habit of doing a one-armed bull rush. That move didn't work for him in these games and it absolutely won't cut it at the next level.

His pass-rushing metrics also reflect a lack of success. He made three splash plays in these four games and one of them was a borderline call that I decided in his favor (splash plays being defined as when a defensive player does something that impacts a passing play -- sacks, passes knocked down and offensive holding penalties being three examples). Good NFL nose tackles tend to generate six to eight splash plays a year and Cody is barely on track to reach that total.

The last item of note is that Cody's draft prospects seemed to get a bit of a shot in the arm when he blocked two critical field goals in Alabama's win over Tennessee. As impressive as those were on their face, in both cases Cody was part of a double-team. He didn't defeat either blocker on his own, so the blocks should be seen as more of a collective effort than a singular effort. That he took his helmet off after the second field goal while the play was still live (something that should have cost the Crimson Tide a penalty) also indicates that he may have a bit of the bad part of Leon Lett in him.

TFS Lab Result: Cody's size, strength and ability to draw a double-team are impressive, but his subpar metric performance and the overriding concerns about his endurance give him a qualified TFS overhyped grade. If a team takes him in the second round with the idea that he is a two-down space-eater who can plug run gaps, he's a good fit. If a team takes him in the first round with the idea that he will be an every-down nose tackle, that would be a mistake.

In summary, Cody is an effective 2 down space eater who will eat up double teams and who will be hard to move off the line. He won't penetrate much, has no positional versatility, and is questionable as a 3 down player."

---------------

This is a very good summation of Mt. Cody - a legit 2nd rounder.

I highlighted the amount of defensive plays Cody was in to show you that being in 40% of the plays was only true during that 4 game stretch Alabama had in the middle of the season without having had their bye week yet. Also, teams simply didn't run against Alabama too often because a.) They were trailing OR b.) They couldn't run against Alabama.

What I'd like to see is the percentage of 1st and 2nd downs Mt. Cody played in minus the 2:00 hurry-up offenses. That is a more accurate depiction of how much he plays.

Also, saying Alabama played a lot of "cupcakes" and "pretty good teams" is laughable. They had the #2 strength of schedule according to Sagarin.