Got some problems with my daughters lap top I cant figure out

Every so often it slows down and so I do the virus checks, spyware checks etc etc

But now there is a couple of things going on that I can figure out....even when I bring my own laptop side by side and run google searches for answers. Any computer guru's want to help me out?

As the laptop boots up this and several messages just like it pop up

"The application or DLL C:\Program\Intell\Wireless\bin\trace API.DLL is not a valid Windows image. Please check against your installation diskette"

"Windows live messenger has encountered an error and needs to close" This comes up EVERY time I reboot

Then there is the issue with web browsing. She uses Microsoft Explorer. The problems are

- Some pages coming up slow or not opening all the way

- Some websites coming up "blocked"\

-- "Blocked - Windows Internet Explorer"

-- "Https error"

Every so often it slows down and so I do the virus checks, spyware checks etc etc

But now there is a couple of things going on that I can figure out....even when I bring my own laptop side by side and run google searches for answers. Any computer guru's want to help me out?

"The application or DLL C:\Program\Intell\Wireless\bin\trace API.DLL is not a valid Windows image. Please check against your installation diskette"

"Windows live messenger has encountered an error and needs to close" This comes up EVERY time I reboot

Then there is the issue with web browsing. She uses Microsoft Explorer. The problems are

-- "Https error"

Have your tried this

I have this(the free version) and love this, it may be a security issue. Norton is basically a cleanup tool.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

I'm not a guru, but the ewrror message appears related to her wireless adaptor. Could be the browsing issues are related to that as well. You can try to download a copy of Firefox, the browser from Mozzilla that is very good.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/switch.html

You could also try running a maintenance program from glary utilities...it fixes registry errors and might help with that start up error message. It's a good one to run once a week or so, as is the malwarebytes program already mentioned for removing malware.

http://www.glaryutilities.com/

Hope that helps!

I wa trying to load firefox last night....it is one of the websites I am having trouble getting through to because of the blocked websites problem.

One thing I forget to mention which is kinda odd....I was going through test various websites I go on (The stadium wall being one)

THe website will appear for a split instant....then go to "blocked"

I'm not a guru, but the ewrror message appears related to her wireless adaptor. Could be the browsing issues are related to that as well.

im with this poster that the error message looks like something to do with her wireless card. and if her wireless card isnt working correctly, that would explain the browsing issues.

are you connecting wirelessly? if so, if you plug an ethernet connection in, does it access the net, or still have problems?

im with this poster that the error message looks like something to do with her wireless card. and if her wireless card isnt working correctly, that would explain the browsing issues.

are you connecting wirelessly? if so, if you plug an ethernet connection in, does it access the net, or still have problems?

Yeah I have a wireless network in my house....everything connects wireless.

-- "Https error"

she might have a virus, run a full scan with the latest definitions...

sounds like a security program like Norton, McAfee, or anti-spyware might be blocking sites. I don't think Malwarebytes does that. What antivirus and spyware programs are running besides Malwarebytes?

The MSN Messenger crash might be a different problem or conflict with another another program at startup. I'd go to msconfig (depending on what version of windows...), click the startup tab and disable most everything that isn't required, then re-enable them 1 at a time to see what is causing MSN Messenger to crash. Most of the programs that are loaded at startup just enable the application to start faster and aren't necessary, just take up memory, takes more time for windows to startup, etc.

What version of Windows and IE is she running?

When the system is running slow, bring up the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del), click on the Processes tab and then the CPU column. That will tell you what program is using up the CPU the most.

also, post the HiJackThis log in here

Yeah I have a wireless network in my house....everything connects wireless.

ok, so you cant plug in directly at all? even for a test? there has to be a port on your router.

before you waste too much time trying to chase down a virus that isnt there, id try plugging her connection in via ethernet and see if the browsing problem goes away.

ok, so you cant plug in directly at all? even for a test? there has to be a port on your router.

before you waste too much time trying to chase down a virus that isnt there, id try plugging her connection in via ethernet and see if the browsing problem goes away.

I have Verizon Fios....I just plug directly into the box?

I have Verizon Fios....I just plug directly into the box?

not familiar with their routers but i have to imagine there would be an ethernet port available in case you wanted to go wired.

so, yes. :lol:

if it looks like the router in the picture here then you would just plug into any of the 4 yellow ports.

Was thinking maybe there are some setting in IE you need to check...go to "Tools" and "Internet Options" check the tabs "privacy" and security" and make sure they are not on high...that could block many sites and keep you from accepting cookies needed by many sites.

I have three daughters and they all had computers through college and I learned a lot through all of their problems! Most of which were caused by bad stuff they picked up illegally downloading music. Bad, bad girls!

not familiar with their routers but i have to imagine there would be an ethernet port available in case you wanted to go wired.

so, yes. :lol:

if it looks like the router in the picture here then you would just plug into any of the 4 yellow ports.

it might be related to the wireless adapter and this is a good test, but I think it's symptomatic of the problem, not the cause.

Usually the invalid windows image or application message is a result of something else going wrong, like a memory issue.

It's possible that that DLL is the wrong version or corrupted, but it seems like you would never be able to connect to the internet if that was the problem. What's likely happening is that the driver for the wireless device is being loaded, it fails because of something else, then it works when the software is loaded correctly after an automatic retry.