Todd McShay backlash builds....

papazoid

Doesn't surprise me. Every one of us on this board could do what Kiper and McShay do- wish we got their kind of money. They have no more experience than you or I do. Glad to hear that Mayock is legit. What saddens me is that these college players make decisions based on the crap that McShay and Kiper spew.

Doesn't surprise me. Every one of us on this board could do what Kiper and McShay do- wish we got their kind of money. They have no more experience than you or I do. Glad to hear that Mayock is legit. What saddens me is that these college players make decisions based on the crap that McShay and Kiper spew.

Football should do the same as basketball( i thought they did, but i guess not) and give the kid a month to get a consensus from the clubs on where they might be drafted..and then decide whether to stay in the draft or go back to school

From his ESPN bio (link==> http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2009/11/mcshay_todd/)

Prior to joining ESPN, McShay worked full-time for “The War Room,” (1999-2006) a start-up scouting publication created by former NFL scout Gary Horton. It soon became a go-to source of information for 16 NFL scouting departments and became a crosscheck for CBS and The Sporting News. ESPN purchased the business in 2006 and changed the name to Scouts Inc.

McShay interned for Horton in the summer of 1998, after getting his first taste of college scouting and recruitment when he “cut film” for the University of Richmond coaching staff.

Before becoming one of the nation’s top NFL Draft analysts, McShay was the quarterback for the Swampscott (Mass.) High School football team (1991-94), and he was a backup quarterback for the University of Richmond (1995-97) before sustaining a back injury that ended his college career.

So essentially anyone that has spent 30 years sitting at a barstool every Saturday watching college football has comparable or better credentials. Speaking of barstool... :rolleyes:

Is it me, or does Todd McShays opinion seem to matter too much? I mean, who is Todd McShay anyways? Anyone have his credentials?

ALL of the so called "expert"s' opinions matter way too much. They are just guessing, just like the rest of us on the board. The difference is they get paid to do so, so they can do a little more research than some of us. But it's all opinion and all guessing.

So essentially anyone that has spent 30 years sitting at a barstool every Saturday watching college football has comparable or better credentials. Speaking of barstool... :rolleyes:

It's not so much qualifacations as how much film work you're willing to do, coupled with personal connectionions developed over time. The best all-time draftnik, Joel Bushbaum, was a virtual cripple--but had a real eye for NFL talent.

Mike Florio is a lawyer/football fan turned "rumor-starter" that somehow got NBC Sports to bankroll his "Pro Football Talk" internet rag. I don't think the guy has ever gotten an interview with anybody of substance who was "on the record." Why would anyone read his articles when he only quotes "my source" as his proof of whatever story he's trying to pass off on his readers?

The only thing I will add is I am not sure the true college scouts and GM's are that much better. Someone drafted Jamrcus Russell, MIke Williams, Whitner over Ngata, Marino was the last of 6 QB's taken, Rice was the second WR taken his year, and all of them passed on Tom Brady at least 5 times.

When in doubt trade down and get two picks instead of one. Better to have quantity instead of assumed quality.

The only thing I will add is I am not sure the true college scouts and GM's are that much better. Someone drafted Jamrcus Russell, MIke Williams, Whitner over Ngata, Marin was the last of 6 QB's taken, Rice was the second WR taken his year, and all of them passed on Tom Brady at least 5 times.

When in doubt trade down and get two picks instead of one. Better to have quantity instead of assumed quality.

I like that philosophy :thumbsup:

I will take two Genny Creams over one Labatts every time. :bag::beer:

From his ESPN bio (link==> http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2009/11/mcshay_todd/)

Prior to joining ESPN, McShay worked full-time for “The War Room,” (1999-2006) a start-up scouting publication created by former NFL scout Gary Horton. It soon became a go-to source of information for 16 NFL scouting departments and became a crosscheck for CBS and The Sporting News. ESPN purchased the business in 2006 and changed the name to Scouts Inc.

McShay interned for Horton in the summer of 1998, after getting his first taste of college scouting and recruitment when he “cut film” for the University of Richmond coaching staff.

Before becoming one of the nation’s top NFL Draft analysts, McShay was the quarterback for the Swampscott (Mass.) High School football team (1991-94), and he was a backup quarterback for the University of Richmond (1995-97) before sustaining a back injury that ended his college career.

So essentially anyone that has spent 30 years sitting at a barstool every Saturday watching college football has comparable or better credentials. Speaking of barstool... :thumbsup:

Swampscott High? Dick Jauron's alma mater? Oy vey!

Thanks, interesting read.

Mayock is the best of them IMO too. I think I read somewhere that his mock drafts are the most accurate.

so what does that make Florio?

he's the one making trying to make a "news" story out of bashing a guy for being an amateur... no duh!

McShay musta peed in his Wheaties.

It's not so much qualifacations as how much film work you're willing to do, coupled with personal connectionions developed over time. The best all-time draftnik, Joel Bushbaum, was a virtual cripple--but had a real eye for NFL talent.

It's sad that Buschbaum isn't around anymore. You're right he was the best.

The only thing I will add is I am not sure the true college scouts and GM's are that much better. Someone drafted Jamrcus Russell, MIke Williams, Whitner over Ngata, Marino was the last of 6 QB's taken, Rice was the second WR taken his year, and all of them passed on Tom Brady at least 5 times.

You make a great point. I'd love to see the drafting record of the scout mentioned in the article. As bad as McShay is I'd be willing to bet he had better player analysis than Matt Millen.

Mike Florio is a lawyer/football fan turned "rumor-starter" that somehow got NBC Sports to bankroll his "Pro Football Talk" internet rag. I don't think the guy has ever gotten an interview with anybody of substance who was "on the record." Why would anyone read his articles when he only quotes "my source" as his proof of whatever story he's trying to pass off on his readers?

Say what you will about Florio, but his blog is one of of the most widely read in the US, and he did it on his own without the help of a corporate backer (until recently).

Say what you will about Florio, but his blog is one of of the most widely read in the US, and he did it on his own without the help of a corporate backer (until recently).

The fact that is is widely read proves to me that people love to read unsubstantiated rumors more then facts today. But the major outlets do the exact same thing, such as ESPN reporting about Tiger Woods for a month without ever having anyone on the record as their sources. I guess I've been around too long to get excited about a story that has no facts from anyone "willing to be identified." In other words, there is nothing to report until it really does or does not happen, and Mike Florio would not have ever had a blog that NBC Sports ended up sponsoring if all he ever had to report were facts.