Jim Boeheim

Done so little with so much? Jeez, it seems like no one recruits like Jim Boeheim does, but when it comes down to crunch time, his guys rarely get it done. What's the deal?

You can't put this one on Boeheim. This was a 7 man team all season, and the big fella was arguably their most important piece because he allowed everyone else to shine. Losing him right before the tourney killed their chances to make it past a good team. And don't be mistaken, Butler is very, very good.

But it's a totally different game if AO is healthy. A game Cuse wins by 10.

Hats off the Butler. They outplayed Syracuse on the defensive side of things.

Done so little with so much? Jeez, it seems like no one recruits like Jim Boeheim does, but when it comes down to crunch time, his guys rarely get it done. What's the deal?

Has he really had all that much great talent though? I used to make fun of him all the time but in reality he's only ever had 2 NBA All-Stars in his entire career; and he won a title with one of them. That's only 2 great players in like 35 years. Even if you also count really good players like Seikaly, Owens, Warrick and Sherm Douglas, that's still only 6 studs in all that time. He probably should have had one more title in the late 80's/early 90's, but that was really the only time in his career he's actually underachieved.

I used to be a hater but the guy has kind of earned my respect.

Has he really had all that much great talent though? I used to make fun of him all the time but in reality he's only ever had 2 NBA All-Stars in his entire career; and he won a title with one of them. That's only 2 great players in like 35 years. Even if you also count really good players like Seikaly, Owens, Warrick and Sherm Douglas, that's still only 6 studs in all that time. He probably should have had one more title in the late 80's/early 90's, but that was really the only time in his career he's actually underachieved.

I used to be more of a Boeheim basher, too. I've come to respect him more over the years when he actually did a lot with less talent than he used to have.

But I think the fact that he has placed so few successful players in the NBA is a knock on Jimmy B. He just doesn't develop these superb athletes into pro players, and that's his job, IMO. I know many will disagree, but as a college coach he should be developing the skills players need at the next level. I don't think Michael Jordan would have been half the NBA player he became if Jim B was his college coach.

He had zero McD's AA's between Wallace and Carmello. Probation in '93 really hurt them (and helped Uconn).

come on....this is the biggest stage and the biggest opportunity butler has ever faced....boehiem cannot go from coach of the year to loser based on this game....its not fair to him or anyone....

#6 in the Big East pre-season projections

A good year by a limited team who lost an important cog.

Sure they lost AO. But they never really got on a roll and turned the ball over at the most crucial points in the game.

Ah well, go Cornell.

Butler was the better team. Cuse was lucky they weren't down by 20 at the half. Cuse overachieved all year (credit to Boeheim) but the Big Least has been exposed in the tournament. It's hard to explain because the conference's out-of-conference record was great. But other than WVU, the teams just haven't had it down the stretch. That didn't stop the ESPN hype machine from lecturing us that 8 of the Big East teams would make the Sweet 16.

Not a shocking loss tonight. Butler's 23rd win in a row, they can play...And Cuse is not deep...Losing anybody hurts them, especially the big man.

Boeheim is a whiney prickly bastard but he's a hell of a coach. And I can't stand Syracuse.

They were a turnover machine tonight......Meanwhile, the Xavier was basketball perfection - wow!!.........But back to SU. The thing that bugs me about the AO injury is that either Boeheim lied to the committee (the same guys he's been trying to tell to expand to 96 teams) by saying AO would practice the day after Selection Sunday, or AO has no heart and should have gave it a go........It was one or the other or both.