Anyone have a negative eBay selling experience?

Fezmid

I suppose I could accept a return, pay a few hundred to have Nikon fix it (if it's really broken) and sell it again, but frankly I just don't want to be bothered.

Sounds like you weren't sure about its reliability. Doesn't mean you can hide behind No Returns if it doesn't work. That is kind of on the edge of fraud. Take it back, do the right thing

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you weren't sure about its reliability. Doesn't mean you can hide behind No Returns if it doesn't work. That is kind of on the edge of fraud. Take it back, do the right thing

No, I know it worked fine before I shipped it out -- scanned a few negatives to confirm it (although as others have said, maybe it stopped working after a couple... But what more can you do to confirm before selling??). The guy claims it took him hours to get a single scan done. Of course he's never actually sent me a screenshot of any of the errors... And now he's conveniently out of town for the next week and won't have time to discuss it... And it's been almost 3 weeks already...

I'm thinking that the "finish the project, return the scanner" theory may be at work... Why wouldn't he just initiate a return himself through eBay if that were an option?

If he does send it back and it exhibits the same issues, I'd send it to Nikon, get a clean bill of health, and try again I guess.

No, I know it worked fine before I shipped it out -- scanned a few negatives to confirm it (although as others have said, maybe it stopped working after a couple... But what more can you do to confirm before selling??). The guy claims it took him hours to get a single scan done. Of course he's never actually sent me a screenshot of any of the errors... And now he's conveniently out of town for the next week and won't have time to discuss it... And it's been almost 3 weeks already...

I'm thinking that the "finish the project, return the scanner" theory may be at work... Why wouldn't he just initiate a return himself through eBay if that were an option?

If he does send it back and it exhibits the same issues, I'd send it to Nikon, get a clean bill of health, and try again I guess.

You might want to slow things down yourself. He only has 45 days from the end of the listing to file a complaint with ebay. Let him take his time and then delay him a little yourself to run out the clock.

You might want to slow things down yourself. He only has 45 days from the end of the listing to file a complaint with ebay. Let him take his time and then delay him a little yourself to run out the clock.

Just to be clear -- he can login to his eBay account and there will be a button that says, "Return to sender" or something similar to initiate the process? There's nothing I have to do on my side?

• 3 weeks later...

So I hadn't heard anything for a few weeks - and now today I get an email from eBay that the dude wants to return the scanner. I'm thinking that the people who said he finished his project and now wants his money back are correct. The email said I will receive my "final value fee" back, but said nothing about PayPal or insertion fees. Lovely.

I have a week to respond. I have to decide if I'll send it to an arbitrator or not, but everything I've read says that the arbitrator will take his side regardless...

After reading lots of negative comments on the web about eBay's policies, I think I might be done selling on their site.

So I hadn't heard anything for a few weeks - and now today I get an email from eBay that the dude wants to return the scanner. I'm thinking that the people who said he finished his project and now wants his money back are correct. The email said I will receive my "final value fee" back, but said nothing about PayPal or insertion fees. Lovely.

I have a week to respond. I have to decide if I'll send it to an arbitrator or not, but everything I've read says that the arbitrator will take his side regardless...

After reading lots of negative comments on the web about eBay's policies, I think I might be done selling on their site.

Your Paypal fees will be credited back to your account as soon as you issue the refund.

So the only thing I'll be out is the shipping costs and the auction insertion fee?
You definitely lose money on shipping costs, I'm not sure on the Ebay fees, it's been awhile, a buyer said they never received a low-value item I sold. Much easier tracking a Paypal account than an Ebay account, for me anyways.

ETA: Well, you do get back the % of the shipping cost that Paypal took in the 1st place.

So the only thing I'll be out is the shipping costs and the auction insertion fee?

That should be all that you are out. The insertion fees usually are pretty cheap. You might get to re-list the item on ebay for no insertion fee if you put it back up within a certain time period.

At least the buyer has to pay to ship it back to you.

The one good thing to take away from the experience is you now know that you can send back stuff that you buy no matter what the seller states in his auction. From a buying standpoint, it's a pretty good deal that you get 45 days to return something that doesn't work perfectly.

From a buying standpoint, it's a pretty good deal that you get 45 days to return something that doesn't work perfectly.

Or if you just want to borrow something to finish a project with.... :devil:

Send all of your saved correspondence to the arbitrator and tell him of your suspicions that it was used for a project and now he wants it returned. Also show him the scans the guy says are flawed that aren't actually flawed. You also need to show the arbitrator that you told him no returns. Good luck. I think you'll win this if you fight it.

Also show him the scans the guy says are flawed that aren't actually flawed.

That's another interesting point -- the guy has never actually sent me an image that he scanned. He sent me a photo of his screen that he took with a digital camera... But never the file itself... His explanation was:

"I have not yet figured out how to get Lightroom to locate the import source, so I have simply snapped a few images of what I'm viewing on my monitor so you can see for yourself what I am encountering."

:ph34r:

I really want to fight the guy because I think he's scamming me... But on the other hand, everything I've read says that there's a 99.99% chance of losing the dispute and then I'll be out the various fees as well, so...

His story doesn't seem to add up ("I have June 1st deadline! Need to get this resolved by April 1st," but then doesn't actually click the "return" button until April 13th....?), but is it worth fighting? Most people here who have dealt with this stuff seem to indicate no... :(

That's another interesting point -- the guy has never actually sent me an image that he scanned. He sent me a photo of his screen that he took with a digital camera... But never the file itself... His explanation was:

"I have not yet figured out how to get Lightroom to locate the import source, so I have simply snapped a few images of what I'm viewing on my monitor so you can see for yourself what I am encountering."

:ph34r:

I really want to fight the guy because I think he's scamming me... But on the other hand, everything I've read says that there's a 99.99% chance of losing the dispute and then I'll be out the various fees as well, so...

His story doesn't seem to add up ("I have June 1st deadline! Need to get this resolved by April 1st," but then doesn't actually click the "return" button until April 13th....?), but is it worth fighting? Most people here who have dealt with this stuff seem to indicate no... :(

If you don't you'll always wonder about it. Fight like hell and you may win.

He's using Lightroom and doesn't know how to Import? Fight it.

You willing to donate money if I lose? :ph34r:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=111067

I don't see how you would owe anything additional if you lose. I don't think that they charge you to arbitrate your problem. The worst that happens is you lose and have to take it back and ebay will refund the guy's money.

All of the previous comments that I've made were regarding Paypal buyer protection. Sounds like the buyer is using ebay buyer protection instead. That might be beneficial to you. Paypal always rules for the buyer, but it is possible that you could get a favorable ruling from ebay. The main thing is to document that the guy has no idea how to use your item. If he doesn't know how to use the software, how can he say that the scanner doesn't work? Sounds more like buyers remorse than a defect in your item.

Good Luck!

Or if you just want to borrow something to finish a project with.... :(

Man... You are jaded... Maybe he can't get it to work? I have a fine SCSI scanner from many moons ago and I am the only one in the house that can use it! Had to get my wife an all-in-one machine. No way she figures out the old scanner! :ph34r:

Scanners do see like one of those pieces that give people fits!