So Today is the Day, The Government Takeover

Wow, for all to see here on the board when DC Tom is out of ammo and/or doesn't like your viewpoint he starts to hurl insults. Way to go Tom, acting just like a typical greedy, selfish, pompous, name calling, venom spitting, irrational, pot stirring and filibustering rather than finding solutions republican.

Hey those are his good points!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about the other companies, but Prudential is apparently taking a charge against the future requirement that they don't deduct federal reimbursement for their health care costs from their taxable income.

I can actually get behind that particular point. Deducting government subsidies for expenses from taxable income is a pretty ridiculous practice.

I don't know about the other companies, but Prudential is apparently taking a charge against the future requirement that they don't deduct federal reimbursement for their health care costs from their taxable income.

I can actually get behind that particular point. Deducting government subsidies for expenses from taxable income is a pretty ridiculous practice.

Nice point Tom. I would think that some/all of the Country CFO's are going to try and find any loop holes they can.

Maybe this better explains it.......

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archiv...counting/38206/

The comments section is fierce as hell. Apparently, anyone with even a passing knowledge of corporate accounting and SEC regs and federal law thinks Waxman should be hung by his thumbs and slow-roasted over an open fire.

And I don't disagree. You can't ask companies to take a material charge but not report it because it looks bad.

The comments section is fierce as hell. Apparently, anyone with even a passing knowledge of corporate accounting and SEC regs and federal law thinks Waxman should be hung by his thumbs and slow-roasted over an open fire.

And I don't disagree. You can't ask companies to take a material charge but not report it because it looks bad.

Jesus H Christ, they have to file changes with the Freaking SEC. :thumbsup:

Jesus H Christ, they have to file changes with the Freaking SEC. :thumbsup:

Yes, but I suspect you'll now see far fewer companies making their required announcements so publically now that it's clear doing so will land your ass before Congress with all your paperwork and internal documents, emails, etc.

This is wicked. We'll see how long they are able to get away with this.

Yes, but I suspect you'll now see far fewer companies making their required announcements so publically now that it's clear doing so will land your ass before Congress with all your paperwork and internal documents, emails, etc.

This is wicked. We'll see how long they are able to get away with this.

!@#$ 'em. Were I one of the CEO's, I'd simply answer every grandstanding question with "The documentation in response to your question is on file with the SEC, as required by federal law." Just to hammer the point home to the thinking public that these representatives are complete !@#$wits.

Wow, for all to see here on the board when DC Tom is out of ammo and/or doesn't like your viewpoint he starts to hurl insults. Way to go Tom, acting just like a typical greedy, selfish, pompous, name calling, venom spitting, irrational, pot stirring and filibustering rather than finding solutions republican.

Christ, stop putting Tom up on a pedestal.

I like this one from "Grundles":

This was entirely predictable. When your policies proceed from the Magic Ponies and Manna from Heaven School of Economics, it can be very offensive when somebody tries to bring unpleasant and irritating issues like "costs" and "tradeoffs" into the discussion. Talk about harshing your mellow!

I guess later today Henry Waxman will demand Sallie Mae bring all of its emails and other internal documents before Congress next week.

This has been known to be coming for months, at least (I heard about it nine months ago).

So yeah, Waxman's probably completely blind-sided by this news.