Quick legal question

DC Tom

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But there was no way in hell anyone was going to pay his overhead costs (he said the $2k was to cover his "extra" security costs related to the shoplifting :worthy:) or pay him protection money.

So did you ask when the extra security would not be there so they can shoplift then instead?

Oh, and is the niece cute? Single? Got a picture?

So did you ask when the extra security would not be there so they can shoplift then instead?

My niece can't afford an attorney (aforementioned wife's niece, who's basically indigent).

There is a point in your life where "cute" is not as important as "indigent".

No, I was assuming these extra security costs were related specifically to this instance of shoplifting; i.e. that there are no extra security costs if no one shoplifts.

For your own good, you don't even want to think about it. Consider: my wife's the sane, stable one in her family, and she married me. :worthy:

No, I was assuming these extra security costs were related specifically to this instance of shoplifting; i.e. that there are no extra security costs if no one shoplifts.

Thank God! When I saw the thread title I assumed the worst.

Must go wash the picture of Tom bending to pick up the soap from my mind.

Niece's sons. Couple of dumbasses.

And in case anyone's wondering, the boys are in for a world of **** for this. They're coming to live with me this summer; they WILL work their asses off for me for this - new roof on my workshop, new deck, landscape the back yard. Anyone in the DC area need any teenage slave labor this summer, drop me a line... :worthy:

Does this make you the modern day "Uncle Tom"? Are you housing them in that cabin out back?

That's exactly what I thought. Just wanted to be sure.

I got on the phone with that manager this morning, claimed to be a lawyer and bullied him. I told him that the boys would pay him damages equal to triple the cost of what they tried to lift, and if he wanted to claim any more damages he could file suit like the rest of the world has to. But there was no way in hell anyone was going to pay his overhead costs (he said the $2k was to cover his "extra" security costs related to the shoplifting :rolleyes:) or pay him protection money.

My niece can't afford an attorney (aforementioned wife's niece, who's basically indigent). I honestly suspect he's just trying to prey on an easy mark - I'd bet this isn't the first time he's tried this nonsense, and I bet it actually works sometimes.

And in case anyone's wondering, the boys are in for a world of **** for this. They're coming to live with me this summer; they WILL work their asses off for me for this - new roof on my workshop, new deck, landscape the back yard. Anyone in the DC area need any teenage slave labor this summer, drop me a line... :D

What "extra costs"? Virtually every Wal Mart has their own in-store security personnel and enough security cameras to cover damn near every aisle in the store with fixed, PTZ and POS jobs, including the cashiers and service counter. This "extra costs" is complete bull. What's he going to do, hire more security personnel to follow teenagers around in the store? This guy is really out to take you for a ride. I will tell you this: He would get fired if WM execs got wind of his little dealio.

Actually..... if you were to contact your local media (TV/newspaper) and tell them about this, I'd give you even money they would be willing to try to catch this guy on camera and blast "WAL MART EXTORTION" all over the news, with Manager D-Bag caught red handed in a pigeon drop. Just a thought.....

Unless there is an EPIDEMIC of shoplifting, WM wouldn't do that. Doesn't make financial sense.

Besides, 45%-65% of theft at WM comes from employees (internal), not external. This is my business and I've been in it since 1998. Here's part of a presentation I did for a client in retail:

o In 2008, RETAIL THEFT accounted for over $6 Billion in losses ($572B in sales) from just 22 major retailers in the US

o Average Shoplifting Theft: $136

o Average Employee Theft: $970

o Total Apprehensions: up by 7.26%

o Total Recovery: up by 21.64%

o Nearly 10% loss of retail revenue due to theft

• US Chamber of Commerce Report:

o 75% of all employees steal at least once

o 37.5% of all employees steal repeatedly

o 1 out of every 3 business failures is the direct result of employee theft

o 20% out of every $1 earned by a US Company is lost to employee theft

Besides, 45%-65% of theft at WM comes from employees (internal), not external. This is my business and I've been in it since 1998. Here's part of a presentation I did for a client in retail:

Come on everyone, raise your hand if you've taken anything from work. :rolleyes: (not quite the hand raise I was thinking of, but close enough)

High school, I worked at a restuarant that had a ice cream stand attached. Since I was the last one there when I worked nights mopping the floors, I'd fix myself a large cup of soft serve before I left.

Come on everyone, raise your hand if you've taken anything from work.I left.

I took an ink pen home once, but I took it back the next day.

Now look at my username and you can guess my line of work. Now try to guess how much that kind of schitt costs on an enterprise level. Now try to imagine the opportunity that I had to take something that wouldn't be missed

Damn my parents for raising me right

Need to confirm a suspicion I have, and all my attorney friends are asleep by now.

The situation: two boys, brothers, not delinquents, just idiots, caught shoplifting in a Wal-Mart (Let's say candy bars. Small stuff, no big-ticket items.) Wal-Mart catches them, calls the boys' mother and tells her to come get them. When she arrives, Wal-Mart (presumably the store manager) tells her that if she does not pay them two thousand dollars to cover "damages" (keeping in mind that no merchandise left the store and nothing else was damaged) by the end of next month they're going to have her arrested (they did not specify for what).

They can't actually do that, can they?

So conner and pbills were shoplifting again?

So conner and pbills were shoplifting again?

You ignorant retard. (By retard I don't mean anything politically incorrect against anyone who may choose to donate to the Democratic Party)

Shoplifting is only illegal against anyone who either opposes the Democratic Party or any heretics who question the Gospel of Al.

Otherwise shoplifting is just a form of social protest against the corporations that stole the 2000 elections from the people of Florida and/or were involved in destroying part of the World Trade Center

All Glory To the Hypnobama!

Need to confirm a suspicion I have, and all my attorney friends are asleep by now.

The situation: two boys, brothers, not delinquents, just idiots, caught shoplifting in a Wal-Mart (Let's say candy bars. Small stuff, no big-ticket items.) Wal-Mart catches them, calls the boys' mother and tells her to come get them. When she arrives, Wal-Mart (presumably the store manager) tells her that if she does not pay them two thousand dollars to cover "damages" (keeping in mind that no merchandise left the store and nothing else was damaged) by the end of next month they're going to have her arrested (they did not specify for what).

They can't actually do that, can they?

Yes they can and yes they will.

Even after criminal court:

"Some retailers are trying to frighten families into paying civil damages for shoplifting costs even though cases were dismissed in criminal court."

Civil Recovery Demand Letter: Don't fall Victim

"The letters are probably working for retailers as there are a fair number of people who will just send in the money."

Are the boys US citizens DC? :rolleyes:

Civil Recovery Class Action

That was 2008... Have to look into it turned out.

Holy !@#$ing ****. Is this a major first here? Tom doesn't know the answer to something. Please, mark the date. :rolleyes:

BTW my wife works for a law firm and they said to shiv the mofo.

I was thinking the same thing about DC Tom. But to answer thw question, I think they were trying to shake down the women.

How can they? Did they file a police report right off the bat... I take the boys are home now and not in custody? I would push the issue. Try getting "blood out of a stone." I would tell them to go pound salt.

I was giving a wise ass response. I figured Tom was trying to get people going with this post.

Even after criminal court:

"Some retailers are trying to frighten families into paying civil damages for shoplifting costs even though cases were dismissed in criminal court."

Civil Recovery Demand Letter: Don't fall Victim

"The letters are probably working for retailers as there are a fair number of people who will just send in the money."

Are the boys US citizens DC? :rolleyes:

Civil Recovery Class Action

That was 2008... Have to look into it turned out.

Wow. Just...wow. What a complete load of ****.