Charles Davis on NFL Network made his pick for the Bills

i dont remember watching cadillac in college but i know from the news reports here in charlotte showing him light it up for clemson and everyone down here is comparing him to chris johnson. the guy also graduated in dec so he's well rounded

Cadillac came onto the season in the middle of his freshman year and was a real eye opener. Great burst and explosiveness, ridiculous lateral quicks, superior acceleration; the kids was lightning quick for 3 1/2 years. Then he came into the league; started getting banged up, starting bulking up in an effort to stay healthy, etc. After 1 really good year, that burst was gone and he was just a good grinder with a low center of gravity. We've seen exactly that happen to so many skill players for so long (Chris Johnson may be next) that I just have no interest in seeing the Bills spend another premier pick on a guy who is likely to be a dime/dozen running back within a year or two. That would be the 4th high pick we've wasted on an average RB in the last decade and imo that's been a bigger problem than the over-drafting of secondary players. I do not want to see it happen again. There's just too many other ways to find quality backs than to keep pissing away top picks on them.

Fastest 20 times All Time

Sorry man, but those exercise numbers don't mean a thing to me.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadillac came onto the season in the middle of his freshman year and was a real eye opener. Great burst and explosiveness, ridiculous lateral quicks, superior acceleration; the kids was lightning quick for 3 1/2 years. Then he came into the league; started getting banged up, starting bulking up in an effort to stay healthy, etc. After 1 really good year, that burst was gone and he was just a good grinder with a low center of gravity. We've seen exactly that happen to so many skill players for so long (Chris Johnson may be next) that I just have no interest in seeing the Bills spend another premier pick on a guy who is likely to be a dime/dozen running back within a year or two. That would be the 4th high pick we've wasted on an average RB in the last decade and imo that's been a bigger problem than the over-drafting of secondary players. I do not want to see it happen again. There's just too many other ways to find quality backs than to keep pissing away top picks on them.

Sorry man, but those exercise numbers don't mean a thing to me.

If we're talking the pre-injury Cadillac, then hell yes, Spiller is worth the pick. Spiller is a lot more involved in the passing game. The kid had 6-7 games last season of over 300 all-purpose yards. I'd have no problem taking that elite talent, because then we'd actually have someone on our offense that would make opposing defenses worry about.

If we're talking the pre-injury Cadillac, then hell yes, Spiller is worth the pick. Spiller is a lot more involved in the passing game. The kid had 6-7 games last season of over 300 all-purpose yards. I'd have no problem taking that elite talent, because then we'd actually have someone on our offense that would make opposing defenses worry about.

But what happens when he starts getting banged up? And at his size he definitely will. Then he starts bulking up to protect himself? That'll slow him down too.

Then he'll just be another "good" running back. And imo, there's too many "good" running backs available to spend a blue chip pick on yet another one.

To echo what's already been said:

Picking a RB at #9 is akin to shooting yourself in the head. It's dinosaur thinking. The NFL is a PASS FIRST league, it has been for the past decade and it will only continue to be more so. If you don't think so, you haven't been paying enough attention to how football games are won these days. Need proof? Look at the percentages of PASSES on 3rd and 2 compared to runs. It's over 71%.

71% of the time on 3rd and 2 an NFL team PASSES the ball.

Want more proof? No team has won the super bowl without an elite QB under center since Dilfer did it ... and that was a decade ago.

3 yards and a cloud of dust is the old school NFL. Those days are over. And, until the league adjusts the rules to give DBs more of a fighting chance, they ain't coming back. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

The rest of the NFL knows this. It's why we've seen more teams going to a RB by committee approach. It helps with injuries, but it's more because it doesn't make financial sense to spend a huge chunk of your cap dollars on a RB when their ability to impact a game is becoming less and less.

Yes, Chris Johnson is a stud. How many super bowls has Tennessee won? What about Minnesota? Who was the RB for the three Patriot Super Bowls? What about the Saints? Or Colts?

Wasting the number 9 pick on Spiller would be equivalent to flushing the pick down the toilet even IF Spiller is an all pro. Why? Because RBs don't win games. QBs do. If the Bills feel that one of the QBs are a franchise type guy, they HAVE to get him. Even if it means moving up. If they don't think there is a legit franchise QB in the draft, then the deficiencies in the trenches has to be addressed before even thinking about a HB.

If you don't see the logic in this, then you're living in the past. I'm sorry. The game has changed. Adapt or die.

We've seen exactly that happen to so many skill players for so long (Chris Johnson may be next) that I just have no interest in seeing the Bills spend another premier pick on a guy who is likely to be a dime/dozen running back within a year or two. That would be the 4th high pick we've wasted on an average RB in the last decade and imo that's been a bigger problem than the over-drafting of secondary players. I do not want to see it happen again. There's just too many other ways to find quality backs than to keep pissing away top picks on them.

A-freaking-men!!!

I'm MORE than willing to give Nix and Gailey the benefit of the doubt right now...But if they Draft a RB at #9 Overall they just used up their full amount of benefit in one Pick...With the Needs this Team has, I just don't see it...It would be incredibly stupid unless somehow you get the next AP...Well, the next AP that does not fumble that is...hehe... :rolleyes:

Picking a RB at #9 is akin to shooting yourself in the head. It's dinosaur thinking. The NFL is a PASS FIRST league, it has been for the past decade and it will only continue to be more so. If you don't think so, you haven't been paying enough attention to how football games are won these days. Need proof? Look at the percentages of PASSES on 3rd and 2 compared to runs. It's over 71%.

Want more proof? No team has won the super bowl without an elite QB under center since Dilfer did it ... and that was a decade ago.

3 yards and a cloud of dust is the old school NFL. Those days are over. And, until the league adjusts the rules to give DBs more of a fighting chance, they ain't coming back. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

The rest of the NFL knows this. It's why we've seen more teams going to a RB by committee approach. It helps with injuries, but it's more because it doesn't make financial sense to spend a huge chunk of your cap dollars on a RB when their ability to impact a game is becoming less and less.

Yes, Chris Johnson is a stud. How many super bowls has Tennessee won? What about Minnesota? Who was the RB for the three Patriot Super Bowls? What about the Saints? Or Colts?

Wasting the number 9 pick on Spiller would be equivalent to flushing the pick down the toilet even IF Spiller is an all pro. Why? Because RBs don't win games. QBs do. If the Bills feel that one of the QBs are a franchise type guy, they HAVE to get him. Even if it means moving up. If they don't think there is a legit franchise QB in the draft, then the deficiencies in the trenches has to be addressed before even thinking about a HB.

If you don't see the logic in this, then you're living in the past. I'm sorry. The game has changed. Adapt or die.

Finally some logic

How would you feel if the #9 pick was Dez Bryant?

So the Saint's 6th ranked rushing attack this season had nothing to do with them winning the Superbowl? What about the Giant's 4th ranked rushing offense in 2007. In 2006 the Steeler's finished 10th in rushing. 3 of the last 4 superbowl champion's have been in the Top 10 in rushing YPG in the year they won the Superbowl. So for a QB driven league running the ball still seem's to matter.

So the Saint's 6th ranked rushing attack this season had nothing to do with them winning the Superbowl? What about the Giant's 4th ranked rushing offense in 2007. In 2006 the Steeler's finished 10th in rushing. 3 of the last 4 superbowl champion's have been in the Top 10 in rushing YPG in the year they won the Superbowl. So for a QB driven league running the ball still seem's to matter.

I'm not saying running the ball isn't important. It is. But it's NOT what it was. You pass to set up the run. Meaning, the better the passing game the better your running game. You need talented RBs. But you don't need SUPERSTAR RBs. In fact, I'd argue that super star RBs on your team is a waste of cap space because you can get the same production from a two man backfield of lesser paid players.

Put it another way ... if the saints had Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch rather than Bush and their other two HBs, they STILL would have been 4th in the league in rushing (or higher because Jackson is better than any back they have) AND they would have won the super bowl still.

So, again, what's the logic in drafting a HB when we already have two capable ones on the rosters and no QB to utilize them?

Answer? ZERO.

How would you feel if the #9 pick was Dez Bryant?

WR is a need for the Bills. HB is not. So, I wouldn't LOVE the pick, but at least it would make sense.

Personally, QB is the number one need for the Bills. If they don't think there is a legit franchise QB in this draft (which may well be the case) then I think you have to look at OL/DL before WR/LB.

Still ... WR is a big hole on the roster.

well hold on there cowboy, if we took spiller and got a 3rd or better for lynch it wouldnt be so bad now would it?

It would be bad. Spiller looks great but we have to stop this trend. I the past 10 years we have invested 1st round picks in A. Smith, Willis McGahee and M. Lynch. Include in that list a 2nd round pick in Travis Henry. Each guy replaced the guy before him. We have also drafted Josh Reed and James Hardy in the second, not to mention Roscoe Parish. None have been worth the investment.

I want to see this team invest in big, mean, blockers and tacklers. Look at our division. All three of the teams ahead of us place a premuim on lineman. All three are bigger and more physical.

We have Jackson and Lynch, a good one-two punch at RB. We do not have a proven , average quality offensive tackle on our roster.

Balance is always good. Defenses need to respect both the run and the pass. You have to run the ball, especially to pick up short yardage first downs and to be effective in the red zone.

Draft blockers and you can enable the run and pass.

It would be bad. Spiller looks great but we have to stop this trend. I the past 10 years we have invested 1st round picks in A. Smith, Willis McGahee and M. Lynch. Include in that list a 2nd round pick in Travis Henry. Each guy replaced the guy before him. We have also drafted Josh Reed and James Hardy in the second, not to mention Roscoe Parish. None have been worth the investment.

I want to see this team invest in big, mean, blockers and tacklers. Look at our division. All three of the teams ahead of us place a premuim on lineman. All three are bigger and more physical.

We have Jackson and Lynch, a good one-two punch at RB. We do not have a proven , average quality offensive tackle on our roster.

As much as you get blinded by the Spiller possibility, the man has a point. Maybe we need to stop chasing our tail.

He is kinda light in the pants at 195. I don`t know if he can hold up to the pounding in the nfl . If their is no QB worth drafting by us this year,the Bills brass must be thinking of a high powered running attack with alot of dumps to the backs. Qb. next year ? Take your lumps with what we got at QB this year .Get our franchise back this year. Freddy looked good last year but he is no spring chicken or homerun threat.Can`t fix everything in one year. :thumbsup: