What if all the top tackles are gone by the time we pick?

I wanted to get some feedback on what people thought if all the top tackles in this years draft (Okung, Davis, Bulaga, Williams) were gone by the time the Bills pick. Do you go for Bruce Campbell? I hear a bit of a reach at 9? A lot of mock drafts have us taking Dan Williams NT or Jimmy Clausen QB. From the information that I have read, Williams might be a reach at 9 and I think Jimmy Clausen is really overrated and already heard some analysts compare him to J.P. Losman (YIKES!!!).

So who do we pick? At this point do we just take the best player on the board? I have a feeling the Bills could even go after a guy like C.J. Spiller if he is still there. I know we have solid depth at the position but he may be too special of a player to pass up. Draft Analysts are comparing him to Chris Johnson and everyone thought the Titans were off by picking him in the first round, he is the best player from that draft so far. I could also see Gailey going after one of his old Georgia Tech players like Derrick Morgan or Demaryius Thomas.

I just wanted to throw it out there and get some ideas from people. GO BILLS!!!

Well, if the 4 guys you mention are off the board and I assume Bradford and Suh and Mccoy are gone too, but Cluasen is available, I expect the Bills to grab him pretty quickly.

However, I don't expect him to be there. In which case, I think we go with the DE from Ga Tech or we trade down.

I shoot myself in the face if they grab C.J. Spiller...

Now, I would go DT if four of the top eight pick OT's and then two of the top pick QB's...That leaves only two picks left...that's a bunch of top rated people dropping to us at 9...DT's, DE's, LB's...all good at 9...no RB's QB's or WR's...no CB's or Safeties either...though there WILL be one safety taken before us and that only leaves one pick between us and a plethera of top rated LB's DE's and DT's

There are 7 tackles that will go in the first round, maybe more.

I'd be open minded if the Bills went CJ Spiller, Dez Bryant as long as its offense. Then go LT with the #2 pick.

This draft is the deepest it has ever been for tackles, there are 7-5 star tackles and 7-4 star tackles. That is 14 decent tackles in round one and two

I wanted to get some feedback on what people thought if all the top tackles in this years draft (Okung, Davis, Bulaga, Williams) were gone by the time the Bills pick. Do you go for Bruce Campbell? I hear a bit of a reach at 9? A lot of mock drafts have us taking Dan Williams NT or Jimmy Clausen QB. From the information that I have read, Williams might be a reach at 9 and I think Jimmy Clausen is really overrated and already heard some analysts compare him to J.P. Losman (YIKES!!!).

So who do we pick? At this point do we just take the best player on the board? I have a feeling the Bills could even go after a guy like C.J. Spiller if he is still there. I know we have solid depth at the position but he may be too special of a player to pass up. Draft Analysts are comparing him to Chris Johnson and everyone thought the Titans were off by picking him in the first round, he is the best player from that draft so far. I could also see Gailey going after one of his old Georgia Tech players like Derrick Morgan or Demaryius Thomas.

front 7: defense . . . defense . . . defense GO BILLS!!!

Derrick Morgan.

I think there is a good chance at least 3 OT's are gone by the time #9 comes around...I'd rather see The Bills Trade Down regardless, but if the top OT's are gone then even better...It's and easier call...

Trade down, maybe even twice, and secure a top NT in the 1st...Then address OT, QB, and whatever else The Bills need by Draft Day in Rounds 2-4...That should be a decent start for Nix/Gailey... :rolleyes:

we need to build our def front or linebacking crew...there no worth going qb in the first...not even fraudbow..lol

I wouldn't be disappointed if we picked ILB Rolando McClain at no. 9 vs reaching for an OT like Davis or Williams if both Okung (certainly) and Baluga (Possibly and I'd be nervous about picking him anyway - not "Picking Anthony Davis Nervous" but he reminds me of Gallery in OAK).

I could see us spending our first three picks on defense and would be happy with this (Although we'd have to trade up into the late 2nd for our third pick:

Rd 01 - ILB Rolando McClain (Alabama) - 6-4 254

Rd 02 - OLB Ricky Sapp (Clemson) - 6-4 250

Rd 02 - DT Cam Thomas (UNC) - 6-4 330

On defense that would give us:

DE Marcus Stroud - 6-6 310

NT Cam Thomas - 6-4 330

DE Dwan Edwards - 6-3 290

OLB Ricky Sapp - 6-4 250

ILB Paul Posluszny - 6-1 238

ILB Rolando McClain - 6-4 254

OLB Aaron Maybin - 6-4 250

FS Jairus Byrd - 5-10 210

SS Donte Whitner - 5-10 210

CB Leodis McKelvin - 5-10 185

CB Terrance McGee - 5-9 200

I assume we're not going to see Schoebel back on the field and I think Mitchell and Davis might be better as depth but they will push for a starting spot and make both McClain and Poz better because of it.

I know we need a QB, LT, G among other things but we can't fix everything in one draft. If we went this route we'd at least - on paper - shore up our defense.

Just a thought.

If Clausen's available, or Bradford, you drop to your knees and scream "Thank you Jesus" and do two Our Fathers and two Hail Marys and then you run up and draft the QB.

I doubt either guy falls, though, and I don't think we're lucky enough to have the situation you describe. IMHO, Davis is a workout warrior and would be a horrible pick. IMHO the top four tackles excludes Davis and includes Campbell. In your situation, with Clausen gone, I'd choose Campbell or Dan Williams.

If Campbell is gone, and Davis and Dan Williams are available, I pick Dan Williams.

And I wouldn't mind McClain either, if he was still available.

If Clausen's available, or Bradford, you drop to your knees and scream "Thank you Jesus" and do two Our Fathers and two Hail Marys and then you run up and draft the QB.

I doubt either guy falls, though, and I don't think we're lucky enough to have the situation you describe. IMHO, Davis is a workout warrior and would be a horrible pick. IMHO the top four tackles excludes Davis and includes Campbell. In your situation, with Clausen gone, I'd choose Campbell or Dan Williams.

If Campbell is gone, and Davis and Dan Williams are available, I pick Dan Williams.

And I wouldn't mind McClain either, if he was still available.

I could be wrong, but I don't like Clausen.

I don't know how you can call fat Anthony Davis a "workout warrior". Workout warrior refers to a player who performs

better in combine-like drills than he does in actual games. If anything, Davis is more of an ugly guy who has gotten

good results - but don't read me wrong, I don't want hm because of the negative things I've read about his work ethic.

Now, Bruce Campbell might be described as a "workout warrior". I don't know if that is true or if he is just young and

inexperienced. He is only a Junior coming out and is a phenomenal athlete. Question is whether he will blossom with

more coaching and experience or is he a very athletic guy who isn't a great football player?

The Bills will have their draft board put together where I imagine they'll have their top players crossed with their top needs and see who best fits that combo when it's their turn to pick. No matter what the position.

This pick could be QB, LT, NT, OLB or even RB! No one knows!

Well, looking at it from strictly a position standpoint, there are 2 DTs, 4 OTs, and 2 QBs that could all go before the #9 pick. All three are positions of need. So are DE, ILB, OLB, and WR. If you presume that Lynch is gone, then you could argue that RB is also a need pick -- however, you can ALWAYS find good RBs in the later rounds. I would imagine that if the draft works out this way, the Bills would be in a prime position to trade down with a team that may be interested in a DB or DE, since the top at both positions would be available in that scenario.

I'd be totally fine with drafting Spiller.. if only to see some of the posters hang themselves of shoot themselves in the face. :worthy:

+1

Buddy and Chan realize having your Thurman Thomas type back can help a team tremendously especially if your QB is Capt Checkdown. When the draft is deep in lineman and you can't get the best ones...go for a skill position if you can get the best or you try and trade down. Maybe not the most popular choice but it's not the worst one by a long shot.