Shawn Andrews

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

per rotoworld

Eagles released OL Shawn Andrews.

Andrews, a first-team All Pro in 2006 and a Pro Bowler as recently as 2007, has missed all but two games over the last two seasons due to multiple back operations and depression. He's only 27 years old and was due a modest $2 million salary, but the Eagles clearly grew tired of Andrews' mental and physical problems. He'll get another chance elsewhere, assuming he wants to. It's believed Andrews may no longer be interested in football.

living in the philly area the past year and half has exposed me to eagles coverage, goes year round. the people here do not think highly of andrews, glad to see him go. that being said, not sure of his viabilty for the bills. the fans in philly are generally miserable and judging a player on how they feel about him may not be accurate.

living in the philly area the past year and half has exposed me to eagles coverage, goes year round. the people here do not think highly of andrews, glad to see him go. that being said, not sure of his viabilty for the bills. the fans in philly are generally miserable and judging a player on how they feel about him may not be accurate.

Given Andy Reid's ability to not follow the wims of fans, and the fact that he is a pretty good judge of talent, I would say Andrews is not worth it. I also live in Philly, and when the Eagles signed his brother last offseason, everyone was excited because they thought the brother would straighten him out...he got worse. Not to mention the fact that his brother is a tremendous slouch as well. As desparate as we are, I would say pass.

Given Andy Reid's ability to not follow the wims of fans, and the fact that he is a pretty good judge of talent, I would say Andrews is not worth it. I also live in Philly, and when the Eagles signed his brother last offseason, everyone was excited because they thought the brother would straighten him out...he got worse. Not to mention the fact that his brother is a tremendous slouch as well. As desparate as we are, I would say pass.

I agree with what someone else said. If he passes a physical and appears to have shaken off some of his demons, throw him an incentive-laden contract. If he sucks, you cut him and no harm.

The guy was a Pro Bowler 2 years ago. Unless he's completely broken (body and mind), he'd be a rare Bills lineman with an upside.

Plus, he'll soothe the pain of losing Jonathon Scott.

per rotoworld

Eagles released OL Shawn Andrews.

Andrews, a first-team All Pro in 2006 and a Pro Bowler as recently as 2007, has missed all but two games over the last two seasons due to multiple back operations and depression. He's only 27 years old and was due a modest $2 million salary, but the Eagles clearly grew tired of Andrews' mental and physical problems. He'll get another chance elsewhere, assuming he wants to. It's believed Andrews may no longer be interested in football.

I dont mean to offend anyone who battled this condition but how depressed can you be as a young 27 year old making millions of dollars a year playing a sport? I know there is probably more that we dont know about but still...

ESPN.com news services

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Eagles have released former All-Pro right guard Shawn Andrews.

The former first-round pick has played in just two games in the past two years because of back injuries. He missed the 2008 training camp because of depression.

The Eagles announced the move on Wednesday.

"We appreciate the efforts and contributions of Shawn while he was in Philadelphia," Eagles coach Andy Reid said in a statement. "We have, however, decided to move in another direction."

Andrews, the 16th overall selection in the 2004 NFL draft, was moved to right tackle last summer to replace longtime starter Jon Runyan. However, he never played a down.

Andrews made the Pro Bowl in 2006 and '07 and had a contract that ran through 2015.

Runyan retired from the NFL earlier this year to run for a House seat as a Republican in a historically Republican district in New Jersey. His campaign formally begins Thursday.

Reaaaalllly lazy, reaaaaallllly injury prone.

He still would be the best OT on our roster by far.

As someone who's worked in the mental health field, I won't call him lazy. Some mental issues are a real female dog. The guy probably struggles to get out of bed some days. It's sad but it's going to be really hard for him to play again.

As someone who's worked in the mental health field, I won't call him lazy. Some mental issues are a real female dog. The guy probably struggles to get out of bed some days. It's sad but it's going to be really hard for him to play again.

Thats unfortunate the Bills need as much OL talent as possible and he would certainly help solidyify the RT spot with green as a backup

I dont mean to offend anyone who battled this condition but how depressed can you be as a young 27 year old making millions of dollars a year playing a sport? I know there is probably more that we dont know about but still...

It has nothing to do with the lifestyle you have. i grew up in a great home surrounded by a great neighborhood and i take my happy pill everyday. it can be genetic it can be triggered by an event such as a death or break up.

Anyone who has depression can tell you it can be the hardest thing doing anything when your really feeling down. And theres not much way out of it. Some days you are just out of it....hard to explain really

It has nothing to do with the lifestyle you have. i grew up in a great home surrounded by a great neighborhood and i take my happy pill everyday. it can be genetic it can be triggered by an event such as a death or break up.

Anyone who has depression can tell you it can be the hardest thing doing anything when your really feeling down. And theres not much way out of it. Some days you are just out of it....hard to explain really

Good post. My brother went to school at Penn. They had a kid there who was top of his class, star football player, had a ton of friends, and girls loved him. He took his own life. Depression is no joke and it's a chemical breakdown in the brain. It's so unfortunate.

Well said and once again I know nothing about mental health and hope I didnt offend anyone by my post. I honestly did not mean too.