I agree with Peter King

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also positive the Bills have tried. It takes two to tango though.

I'm not so sure they've tried - I'm not sure they've tried to do anything to make the team better heading into next season.

King makes it sound like the Eagles would be open to a trade. Say what you will about King's football acumen and writing style, but he does have good sources.

I'm not so sure they've tried - I'm not sure they've tried to do anything to make the team better heading into next season.

King makes it sound like the Eagles would be open to a trade. Say what you will about King's football acumen and writing style, but he does have good sources.

I know that Andy Reid has been the one putting the breaks on any McNabb trade talk and will probably continue to do so until after the Draft. I dont think he moves for awhile, if at all.

Why wouldn't we make that deal??

What good would McNabb do behind a weak OL and with just one true WR? We've seen that movie before.

This team is going to be built through the draft, even if it takes 2-3 more years. No more quick fixes.

Because mortaging the future for an aging quarterback does nothing to help the Bills bust out of this perpetual debacle.

That's only true if they think there is a QB worth drafting this year. If the plan is to wait until the 2011 draft - and QBs take more than a year or two to develop - then we're talking about being 4-5 years from being competitive. Sorry, but my patience has run out.

He makes a good case:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...mmqb/index.html

Let's say we could get McNabb for a 2nd and 5th or 6th this year, plus a 3rd next year. This team hasn't had a QB in more than a decade. Why wouldn't we make that deal??

Because he is old and in 2 years we will be looking for a QB again, why do you think Philly used a #2 pick on Kolb. Mcnabb is on his last legs.

I don't get why different is always better with some people...

The Bills didn't suck because they didn't have a QB, they sucked because they lacked a OC with experience, they lacked a head coach who knew how to build an offense, they lacked a proper game plan, they lacked a decent offensive system, and above all they lacked a decent O line.

The O-line was particularly horrid... with each player having very little experience and so many injuries, it was an out and out nightmare for the Bills QB's all season. The ONLY player on the O line that was there for every game was the center.

There isn't a QB / man on this earth that would have had a successful season in the offense the Bills put on the field last season, that is the reason Ralph Wilson blew up the team!

Donovan McNabb might have been good a few years ago when he could scramble, not anymore. He has had a recent history of injuries behind an O line 1000% better then anything the Bills have fielded, along with better coaching, players, game plan,system.

If the Bills pull the trigger on McNabb and give up any draft picks it will be about the worst move in team history IMO

The Bills didn't suck because they didn't have a QB, they sucked because they lacked a OC with experience, they lacked a head coach who knew how to build an offense, they lacked a proper game plan, they lacked a decent offensive system, and above all they lacked a decent O line.

The O-line was particularly horrid... with each player having very little experience and so many injuries, it was an out and out nightmare for the Bills QB's all season. The ONLY player on the O line that was there for every game was the center.

There isn't a QB / man on this earth that would have had a successful season in the offense the Bills put on the field last season, that is the reason Ralph Wilson blew up the team!

Donovan McNabb might have been good a few years ago when he could scramble, not anymore. He has had a recent history of injuries behind an O line 1000% better then anything the Bills have fielded, along with better coaching, players, game plan,system.

If the Bills pull the trigger on McNabb and give up any draft picks it will be about the worst move in team history IMO

Excellent post.

Not only has McNabb battled injuries the last few years, he's ALWAYS struggled under pressure.

I agree with you that no QB would've been successful here over the last few years.

I disagree with you that we can afford to wait to stablize the QB position until the rest of the roster has been straightened out. It seems to me the Bills have been in that cycle for almost 20 years - fix a few leaks here, then a few leaks there, and they never get ahead. They draft young QBs and then fail to put them in positions where they can succeed. Then they ignore the QB position and tinker with the rest of the roster.

I'd like to see them do both, and I'm tired of waiting. I'm willing to mortgage some of the future if that's what it takes - I am tired of losing and I don't want to wait 4 to 5 more years to see competent QB play. Trade for McNabb, draft a LT with the first pick, and do your best to pick up a DT later on in the draft. I don't see any other way to make this team respectable in the short term. Drafting Skelton in Round 5 and trying to develop him for 5 years will just not get it done with me.

Just running out and grabbing every/any free agent with a name is not going to translate into wins. Especially at the QB position. I'm really amazed that at least some fans don't seem to understand that the priority has to be OL. To my knowledge, we were the only team in the league last year that was so depleted with injuries along the OL that we were carting off guys on Sunday, calling street free agents on Sunday night, and then having them START the following Sunday. That's why the successful teams in the league have offensive lines that are at least reasonably stable. Injuries happen to every team..............but not like that.

Well, the Bills certainly weren't a bad team in spite of their QB's either. Granted, lousy quarterbacks wasn't the only reason for yet another losing season, but neither Edwards or Fitz would be starting for any other team and Brohm was riding 2nd pine at Green Bay.

Fixing the OL, while absolutely necessary, is no guarantee that Edwards, Fitz or Brohm are going to be any better. I don't think Edwards is ever going to get his confidence back in Buffalo and I don't think Fitz is ever going to get any more accurate than he already is. Brohm is an unknown commodity with potential, but unknown nonetheless.

McNabb wouldn't be the worst move for the Bills, but I would rather see them get a QB on the upside instead of the downside.

Just running out and grabbing every/any free agent with a name is not going to translate into wins. Especially at the QB position. I'm really amazed that at least some fans don't seem to understand that the priority has to be OL. To my knowledge, we were the only team in the league last year that was so depleted with injuries along the OL that we were carting off guys on Sunday, calling street free agents on Sunday night, and then having them START the following Sunday. That's why the successful teams in the league have offensive lines that are at least reasonably stable. Injuries happen to every team..............but not like that.

WHY CAN'T THEY DO BOTH

That's only true if they think there is a QB worth drafting this year. If the plan is to wait until the 2011 draft - and QBs take more than a year or two to develop - then we're talking about being 4-5 years from being competitive. Sorry, but my patience has run out.

My patience has run out with making bone-headed moves that do nothing but sell tickets. That deal doesn't just bring us a stop-gap QB that hasn't shown anything in his career to prove that he would be successful playing a team that's in the shape the Bills are in, it also takes away the players that would come with those draft picks. With the unbelievable amount of holes this team has, do you really think it's a great idea to lose a 2nd and a 3rd (plus a later pick) for a guy like McNabb? That's the definition of mortgaging the future.

Everyone seems to be pissed about the lack of FA signings or trade activity, but I don't understand why. In his first interview Nix said that he believes in building through the draft and signing your own players. No matter what level your patience is on, that type of team building takes time. Holding Nix accountable for the bad decision making over the past decade not only isn't fair, all it does is attempt to perpetuate the same bad decisions. Yeah, it sucks that we've been bad forever, but it will suck much worse if Nix starts making the same stupid decisions to appease the fans that this team has made before (trading/wasting picks on guys like RJ, Losman and Bledsoe).

My patience has run out with making bone-headed moves that do nothing but sell tickets. That deal doesn't just bring us a stop-gap QB that hasn't shown anything in his career to prove that he would be successful playing a team that's in the shape the Bills are in, it also takes away the players that would come with those draft picks. With the unbelievable amount of holes this team has, do you really think it's a great idea to lose a 2nd and a 3rd (plus a later pick) for a guy like McNabb? That's the definition of mortgaging the future.

Everyone seems to be pissed about the lack of FA signings or trade activity, but I don't understand why. In his first interview Nix said that he believes in building through the draft and signing your own players. No matter what level your patience is on, that type of team building takes time. Holding Nix accountable for the bad decision making over the past decade not only isn't fair, but all it does is attempt to perpetuate the same bad decisions. Yeah, it sucks that we've been bad forever, but it will suck much worse if Nix starts making the same stupid decisions to appease the fans that this team has made before (trading/wasting picks on guys like RJ, Losman and Bledsoe).

That would describe Delhomme, not McNabb. McNabb is an elite QB and he's "shown" quite a bit over his career in my view. That said, if you don't think he's top-tier then your argument makes sense. If you do, then I think you need to pull the trigger. The Bills dealt an elite LT for draft picks last year - the opposite of what you'd call "mortgaging their future." How'd that work out?