Health care rationing kills 20,000 people

Magox

http://dailycaller.com/2010/03/15/nice-rej...es-mail-online/

Shock: British health system rationing killed 20,000 cancer patients

Up to 20,000 people have died needlessly early after being denied cancer drugs on the NHS, it was revealed yesterday.

The rationing body NICE has failed to keep a promise to make more life-extending drugs available.

Treatments used widely in the U.S. and Europe have been rejected on grounds of cost-effectiveness, yet patients and their loved ones have seen the NHS waste astronomical sums.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is worse being denied cancer drugs on the National Health Care system or being denied drugs because you can't afford them?

Link?

My father in Canada, who has had 3 open heart surgeries and was 72years at the time, had to wait 3 months for an appointment with a cardiologist the last time. He could have died in the interim. This really happened cause I was part of it. Not some anecdotal fantasy.

Which is worse being denied cancer drugs on the National Health Care system or being denied drugs because you can't afford them?

The former. A "national" health care system withholding health care is kind-of an oxymoron, dont'cha think? :)

Anytime you want to defend the Health care reform bill written in the Senate as a good bill, a good solution for reform, you'll have an audience here.

Link?

My father in Canada, who has had 3 open heart surgeries and was 72years at the time, had to wait 3 months for an appointment with a cardiologist the last time. He could have died in the interim. This really happened cause I was part of it. Not some anecdotal fantasy.

Link to what? It was a question.

Both are obviously bad... the faceless bureaucrat who says you can't have the medicine and the drug company that keeps raising the prices so that you can't afford them.

It would equally suck if you were busting your butt trying to get your family the best medicine to find out that you just can't afford it no matter what.

Both are obviously bad... the faceless bureaucrat who says you can't have the medicine and the drug company that keeps raising the prices so that you can't afford them.

It would equally suck if you were busting your butt trying to get your family the best medicine to find out that you just can't afford it no matter what.

Except that one's a fact of life - you can't always get what you want, and everyone dies sometime. The other's a fact of government - sorry, we can't provide what we promised you.

Pharmaceutical companies never promised anyone free drugs, Obama has.

So you tell me which is worse a promise never made, or a promise broken.

By the way does this NICE board qualify as a death panel?

I know this isn't the right thread... But who cares, what's new. :thumbsup::)

Why don't we get rid of insurance all together... Go back to the pay for service days. Maybe it would drive prices down. I mean come on, it is like my crazy dental (thorugh my wife's work... She kicks in a certain amount every 2 weeks)... Everytime we go there, something is NOT covered... End up cutting a check for 50 to 150 bucks or something.. It is like the DDS purposely outprices what ever the insurance will pick up and nickels and dimes one to death. I noticed the doctor is like that too... Always get a bill for this... 10 here, 20 there... ON TOP of all the premiums we pay.

What is up with this "nickel and diming?" I pay 200 bucks every two weeks, my employer picks-up 400 every two weeks... Then my wife picks up about 40 bucks every two weeks for dental.. I don't know what her employer picks up. Man with those numbers, still nickeled and dimed??

Something is going to come to a head sooner or later... Prices can't keep going unchecked.

Except that one's a fact of life - you can't always get what you want, and everyone dies sometime. The other's a fact of government - sorry, we can't provide what we promised you.

But that is the insurance companies. They send fancy fliers every year shouting "pick me!" "pick me!" I have dozens of plans to choose from... And they are all worthless. One can't even go by the "spend a little more, get a little more" philosophy... They are all cutting back... Taking your premiums and giving you LESS service.

I wonder why Obama didn't allow the reimportation of drugs in his Health Reform Bill? hmmmm

Why wouldn't he want more competition from foreign drug makers that have many drugs that are as much as 50% cheaper than what we have here?

And I wonder why he didn't criticize the pharmaceutical industry for their profits, considering that the average profit margins for this industry is 18.3%, but yet somehow the EVIL insurance industries have been demonized with their monstrous 3.3% profit margins?

Wierd, I just don't get it.