music city miracle on NFL channel

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching the top ten controversial calls on NFLN I cant help but say it again. The call was not a blown call. It was a backwards pass, or at least parrallel to the line if your looking at where the ball was thrown from (position of Wychecks arm) and where it was caught (Dyson's hands). But to get that right on the field I think was a bit crazy. Either it was too much to overturn, or the refs feared their lives if they overturn that call.

On another note, and I havent relived this game yet but did DVR it and expect to watch this weekend, Rob Johnson left the field as a winner that game. Anyone that brings out the "if we had Flutie in we would have won" bit can take a long look at the special teams coaching and players during that game. If that never happens, Rob Johnson wins the game and we may be talkinga bout the Bills winning the SB with Rob Johnson. It has been stated before by previous players and coaches of the Rams that the Bills were the only team they were worried about in the big game.

If only...

For the first time since the actual game I watched the Bills/Tenn. game and had some thoughts.

1. From the get go both starting offensive tackles for the Bills were hurt and Johnson was running for his life. There were three of four actual sacks early in the game. Reinforced my belief that without a good offensive line anchored by quality tackles you are going to have a heck of a time trying to establish a passing game.

2. We probably should have run more. Thomas was still Thomas and Antowain Smith would have been more effective with more carries.

3. I can see why we fired DeHaven.

4. Not to stir up old wounds, and admitting that Johnson didn't play a bad game given what little protection he had, but I think we'd have been better off with the more mobile Flutie and his style of play in that game.

5. Goes without saying....the throwback was a forward pass and should have been called back.

Wades biggest mistake !! To take a guy out of the line up that led you to the brink of the play offs & that had the winning pedigree not to mention heart that Flutie had will go down as just plain stupid in Bills lore . Flutie was the heart & soul of that team , not to mention the leader & those guys that played with him knew it . What did Rob :rolleyes: Johnson ever do but collect 25 million of Ralphs money & GAVE NOTHIN IN RETURN !!-------- BOY I HOPE I DON'T SOUND :lol: PISSED !! Sorry i had a flash back . ( i think that was the year i started counceling or was it 93 ??) I need to lay down. :lol:

I caught a bit of it too (I remember the end so I stopped before I got that far); RJ was definitely running for his life, it feels like times haven't changed since then! That first drop back to crushing sack became an all too familiar habit for Rob...

Hard to believe we had the number 1 D that year, won 10 games with Flutie, yet Wade went with RJ. We really got RJ'ed on that one. I wasn't super opposed to the move at the time, but looking back Dougie would have had a better shot of winning that one. You don't base a qb start on the final game of the season no matter how much he lights it up.

You really think it was Wade who decided to start RJ?

It was a legal play, the lateral was exactly that... a lateral. I'm a Bills fan just like the rest of you, but let's get real here. It was a completely legal play and eleven guys screwed up, not the refs.

Ok, lets call a spade a spade. It WAS INDEED a forward pass. I don't care how close it was, how time has softened anyone's stance, or how anyone can play devil's advocate, it was a forward pass, period. I can't argue any more on that topic, so i'll leave it alone.

Two things I'd like to comment on regarding that game was it was an absolutely epic playoff game and the play of RJ. First, that game went back and forth, both teams were blowing up the other team, and it truly could have gone either way, if you somehow forget the controversy at the end. In terms of RJ, we all know he was a bust of Biblical proportions, but that one game, RJ played like a hall of famer. He got the living crap knocked out of him and came back for more, and did everything he could do to win that game for us. Yes, he sucked, and is a black eye on the history of this team, but you've gotta give kudos to Rob Johnson for that one single game. Too bad that the MCM had to happen, which has caused a slow bleeding death over the past 10 years.

Anyone that brings out the "if we had Flutie in we would have won" bit can take a long look at the special teams coaching and players during that game.

I didn't watch the game last night, but I did last time it was on back in December or so. What stuck out to me was that the defense totally stopped TN all day long. The Titans got 12 points in the second quarter and not including the Music City Forward Lateral, 3 points in the 4th.

The whole game hinged on one play. NOT the Music City Forward Lateral as most people think, but instead, Rob Johnson fumbling the ball out of the back of the end zone. That gave the Titans 2 points. They took the free kick in good field position and got a TD. This happens in football a lot. A safety is a huge lift for team and often results in 5 or 9 points.

The safety was in large part due to RJ mishandling the snap and trying to regain possession of the ball. He spent a large part of the first quarter trying to get used to getting the snap from center. They even showed them practicing this on the side. This should be worked out in preseason, not the playoffs.

There's no way in heck Flutie fumbles the ball out of the back of the end zone for a safety. Ain't gonna happen. That's what blew the game for us. Pure and simple.

Ok, lets call a spade a spade. It WAS INDEED a forward pass. I don't care how close it was, how time has softened anyone's stance, or how anyone can play devil's advocate, it was a forward pass, period. I can't argue any more on that topic, so i'll leave it alone.

Except that it was actually NOT a forward pass.

Hate to say it as Im a die hard fan. But we need to let this be. It has been proven that it was at best a parallel pass to the line which wouldnt constitute a forward pass. Oh, and the fact that the officials called it a backwards pass that day and it will never be brought back.

Can we just get over it please. It sucked. and if we continue to blame the Titans, or Officials about this it will get us no where. The fact is the Bills special teams play that day should be disgusted with themselves for allowing that play to even happen. If anything we should be pissed at Dehaven and the rest of the special teams players.

I watched the game last night too...Boy did it bring back some bad memories. And it seemed that the announcers were foreshadowing events...like right before the Bills kick off at the end they go "just don't squibb kick it!" and guess what we do?

We actually pooched it. Or more accurately, screwed the pooch-ed it.

Wades biggest mistake !! To take a guy out of the line up that led you to the brink of the play offs & that had the winning pedigree not to mention heart that Flutie had will go down as just plain stupid in Bills lore . Flutie was the heart & soul of that team , not to mention the leader & those guys that played with him knew it . What did Rob :censored: Johnson ever do but collect 25 million of Ralphs money & GAVE NOTHIN IN RETURN !!-------- BOY I HOPE I DON'T SOUND :censored: PISSED !! Sorry i had a flash back . ( i think that was the year i started counceling or was it 93 ??) I need to lay down. :blink:

I agree with you that it was a dumb decision to sit the guy you came with, but the leaders (Bruce and Thurman) lobbied for it after Johnson played flawlessly in a meaninglesss game vs. Indianapolis

1. i agree with whoever said "cut the crap with the 'if we only had flutie' stuff". Johnson walked off the field with a LEAD with only moments left on the clock. Which brings me to my next point...

2. Why didn't Wade milk the clock down to 2 or 3 seconds? That way we'd never have even had to kick off.

It was a legal play, the lateral was exactly that... a lateral. I'm a Bills fan just like the rest of you, but let's get real here. It was a completely legal play and eleven guys screwed up, not the refs.

I agree, and am glad someone else can acknowledge this. I've watched it as many times as everyone else and it was sooo close that if the ref threw a flag for illegal forward pass, it probably wouldn't have been overturned for irrefutable evidence either. The spot isn't the feet, it's where the ball leaves his hand and where it's caught -right on the LOS. It was just that close...

BTW, Great story ex-Buftex!!

I didn't watch the game last night, but I did last time it was on back in December or so. What stuck out to me was that the defense totally stopped TN all day long. The Titans got 12 points in the second quarter and not including the Music City Forward Lateral, 3 points in the 4th.

The whole game hinged on one play. NOT the Music City Forward Lateral as most people think, but instead, Rob Johnson fumbling the ball out of the back of the end zone. That gave the Titans 2 points. They took the free kick in good field position and got a TD. This happens in football a lot. A safety is a huge lift for team and often results in 5 or 9 points.

The safety was in large part due to RJ mishandling the snap and trying to regain possession of the ball. He spent a large part of the first quarter trying to get used to getting the snap from center. They even showed them practicing this on the side. This should be worked out in preseason, not the playoffs.

There's no way in heck Flutie fumbles the ball out of the back of the end zone for a safety. Ain't gonna happen. That's what blew the game for us. Pure and simple.

Yeah, that would mean something if Rob Johnson didnt leave the field after loosing a shoe, taking his team down in the final 16 seconds to score a TD and have the game all but won until the crappy special teams players didnt follow their lanes and let what might be one of the most embarrassing plays in football to happen.

Johnson left the field in the lead, and there was nothing more you could have asked of him. If you want to say we should have won if it wasnt for the safety then anyone can just say we would have won if Wychek is tackled or misses Dyson on the pass. Nobody knows how Flutie would have played that day, but we do know for a fact that RJ left the field in the lead.

I cant talk about this anymore. Im going to go into an uncontrolled rage and go find Doug Flutie and punch him in the face just because people are talking about him again.

Im out on this convo now.

Unreal - I have never been so pissed at the outcome of a game. No doubt in my mind the officials blew that call. Granted, "stay in your lanes" should have happened to, but to give them that game made me forever hate the Thumbtacks...

For the first time since the actual game I watched the Bills/Tenn. game and had some thoughts.

1. From the get go both starting offensive tackles for the Bills were hurt and Johnson was running for his life. There were three of four actual sacks early in the game. Reinforced my belief that without a good offensive line anchored by quality tackles you are going to have a heck of a time trying to establish a passing game.

2. We probably should have run more. Thomas was still Thomas and Antowain Smith would have been more effective with more carries.

3. I can see why we fired DeHaven.

4. Not to stir up old wounds, and admitting that Johnson didn't play a bad game given what little protection he had, but I think we'd have been better off with the more mobile Flutie and his style of play in that game.

5. Goes without saying....the throwback was a forward pass and should have been called back.

I watched it too. First time since the original game was player. My observations and comments:

1. Our defense was awesome. In fact, that defense was one of the best in Bills history. You might have to go back to 1964 and 65 to find a better one. The middle of that defense was very stout: Ted Washington/ Pat Williams at NT, Holecek and Cowart at ILB, Jones and Shulz at safety. Holecek had a monster game. Too bad Holecek and Cowart's careers were cut short by injury.

2. Our OL played with back up tackles and the Titans feasted on them. The Bills offense game plan was very bad in the first half. Too much passing and empty backfields. Surprised that RJ survived at times.

3. RJ had a good second half and we made adjustments to run more and better. A. Smith needed more carries, he was playing well. You could see that Thurman's career was finished in this game.

4. RJ's play at the end of the game, the one with one shoe, is his career highlight. That is all folks. If I were the coach I would have stayed with Flutie. I would not have made a disruptive change like that one. i am not a huge Flutie fan either, just saying that is what I would do.

5. DeHaven's mistake was the pooch kick. It was EXACTLY the kind of kick, in the absolute right place, to enable the lateral to work. It was a horrible call by an otherwise excellent coach. Even if we tackled them before or after the pass they are still in field position to pass it downfield, stop the clock and try a long FG. I remember calling for a deep kick, play it straight, cover the kick and make them beat our defense. Even the announcers called it. I will bet that kick is covered in Special Teams Coaching School 101 as what not to do. It would have helped if our players stayed in their lanes.

6. The refs blew the call on the field. From the positions that the passer and reciever were standing at there is just no way they should not have flagged the play. In real time speed the position of Wycheck's feet, way behind the line, and the position of the recievers feet, in front of the line, should automatically warrant a flag. There was no ref on the line to determine Wycheck's hand postion at release. Even on the best replay view, from release to catch the pass is slightly forward. It was close but had they flagged it on the field the Bills may have gotten the benefit of a non-overturn.

7. Fun to watch this game, until the very end. I was going to turn it off at the last kick-off but I just couldn't do it.

Give me a break, Johnson left the field with the lead and only 16 seconds to go in the game.

Whoa...I think Johnson played a very good game especially considering the pass rush and our dilapidated o-line. However, that being said, I think Flutie being more mobile would have been more productive. Johnson played an excellent game and I'm not a Rob Johnson fan...but he looked terrific in this game.

Whoa...I think Johnson played a very good game especially considering the pass rush and our dilapidated o-line. However, that being said, I think Flutie being more mobile would have been more productive. Johnson played an excellent game and I'm not a Rob Johnson fan...but he looked terrific in this game.

I too think if Flutie plays that game our offense does a lot more (and gives up less). Flutie could have made something happen. RJ did a courageous job out there and the drive to get the go ahead 3 was heroic. But I can't go so far as to say he looked "terrific". Mishandling the snap and fumbling the ball out of the back of the EZ resulting directly in 2 points and indirectly in 9 is inexcusable. Flat out cost us the game. Aside from that, the Titans offense was able to muster 6 points. WOW!

That kickoff too was bizarre. Ball comes down on the 30? WTF? Why not just kick it deep and make them run it back. Never understood that one. Second dumbest decision of the game. Starting RJ being the first of course. Thanks Ralph. It was Ralph's decision.

As far as if it was a pass or not, the guy threw it from behind the line and the other guy caught it in front of the line. You and Mike Parrera can slice and dice it and computer analyze it all you want. It was an illegal forward pass all the way.

But I remember what HOF Coach Landry (Titans Kicking Teams coach was a long time Landry assistant BTW) used to say in these circumstances. It shouldn't have come down to that. We had opportunities earlier in the game we didn't capitalize on. If we had, it wouldn't have mattered. Very true in this game.

6. The refs blew the call on the field. From the positions that the passer and reciever were standing at there is just no way they should not have flagged the play. In real time speed the position of Wycheck's feet, way behind the line, and the position of the recievers feet, in front of the line, should automatically warrant a flag. There was no ref on the line to determine Wycheck's hand postion at release. Even on the best replay view, from release to catch the pass is slightly forward. It was close but had they flagged it on the field the Bills may have gotten the benefit of a non-overturn.

This was my beef about the whole thing, if you look at the replay, the ref was standing around the 20. He had no idea where Wycheck's hand was. From what I can tell the point of release was no more than a foot past the 25, and the catch was made no more than a foot inside the 26. It was a forward pass, but the ref couldn't tell from where he was and there was no camera right on the 25, and the rest was history. :censored: