Aaron Maybin

Jason Taylor is probably smaller than Maybin and it didn't hurt him a bit.

http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/62/29/ja...x0.350x447.jpeg

Jason Taylor played OLB in a 3-4...Taylor is 6-6-255...

The Bills Drafted Maybin to play DE in a 4-3...It was dumb...

Maybin should be a picture perfect fit for an OLB in a 3-4...We'll see if he's got what it takes... :wallbash:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybin should be a picture perfect fit for an OLB in a 3-4...We'll see if he's got what it takes... :wallbash:

The Fins ran a 4-3 for the majority of Taylor's career. They only switched to a 3-4 the last couple of seasons.

Actually last year was the first he played OLB.

I've been wanting to "weigh in" on the Aaron Maybin physique issue for some time now. This seems as good a time as any.

I think Aaron has a good attitude and wants to succeed. As a Bills fan, even though I was clearly opposed to drafting him, I hope he does succeed.

THAT SAID, I have serious concerns about his body type and whether he will be a successful NFL player.

I have a friend who is a graduate student in anthropology. He also has a minor (or dual major, I'm not sure) in OSTEOLOGY. Osteology from what he tells me is the study of bones...structure, diameter, relative dimensions, etc. We've had some interesting conversations about osteology and athletics. I guess it's a related field to biomechanics, possibly. Anyways...

I don't know how much NFL scouts ponder the bone structure of players but in my experience (a lifetime of working manual labor and having played lots of sports), bone structure is at least as important as musculature. The bone structure is the frame of the body (frame of a car, foundation of a house, etc). It defines such parameters as how much a person can/should weigh and how well they can carry that weight.

Here's an example of where this might come into play.

6'8" 335 lbs, size 18 foot

6'6" 335 lbs, size 12 foot

All things being equal, who is more likely to become an outstanding offensive tackle? (answer later on)

Look at Maybin's body. Look at the diameter of his wrists, his elbows...when people say he looks like a wide receiver, this is what they are seeing. IMO, Jason Taylor looks like he has bigger bones than Maybin, even though both of them are muscularly svelte.

At the lower levels of athletics, bone dimensions might not be as important but in competitive sports populated by elite athletes (ie-the NFL), I think bone size, density, length, etc. are all factors in the success of an athlete. For instance, long arms are good, until they become so long as to limit strength.

When I first went down to Singers Gym in downtown Buffalo to learn how to box, the first thing the late trainer, Johnny Sudac wanted to see was the size of my fists.

So I think you are all starting to see where I'm coming from. To me it is clear that Maybin does not have a defensive end's body. So like everyone else, WTF was Jauron and company thinking? I'm not sure Maybin has a rushbackers body either. Many people (who have no clue what they're talking about) have invoked the name Dwight Freeney when arguing that Maybin could be successful. Freeney? Six foot one inch, 270 pound Dwight Freeney? Anyone who has seen Elvis Dumervil play knows that he also has a very low center of gravity and a formidable BULL RUSH. Fred Dean was an outstanding and undersized pass rusher (6'3 230 lbs, 93 career sacks) who also had a power component to his game. LT, DeMarcus Ware, on and on.

Name for me 5 outstanding pass rushers who didn't have the ability to get the OT moving and then counter and push him into the quarterback? A pass rusher needs to be able to bull rush, even if it isn't his primary weapon.

Now look at Maybin. As they say in the trades, "he has no ass." I can think of only a few pass rushers who relied totally on finesse. Simeon Rice, Jevon Kearse, maybe Jason Taylor. Almost every other outstanding pass rusher has a power component to their game.

What I'm saying is that Maybin may not have the bone structure, no matter how much he bulks up.

As far as his attempts to gain weight, he strikes me as a guy who has a hard time putting it on and KEEPING it on. It won't help if he's 250 on opening day and 235 at season's end. He doesn't look that different to me from the pictures of him from last April when he had his much ballyhooed weight gain.

I've been wanting to "weigh in" on the Aaron Maybin physique issue for some time now. This seems as good a time as any.

I think Aaron has a good attitude and wants to succeed. As a Bills fan, even though I was clearly opposed to drafting him, I hope he does succeed.

THAT SAID, I have serious concerns about his body type and whether he will be a successful NFL player.

I have a friend who is a graduate student in anthropology. He also has a minor (or dual major, I'm not sure) in OSTEOLOGY. Osteology from what he tells me is the study of bones...structure, diameter, relative dimensions, etc. We've had some interesting conversations about osteology and athletics. I guess it's a related field to biomechanics, possibly. Anyways...

I don't know how much NFL scouts ponder the bone structure of players but in my experience (a lifetime of working manual labor and having played lots of sports), bone structure is at least as important as musculature. The bone structure is the frame of the body (frame of a car, foundation of a house, etc). It defines such parameters as how much a person can/should weigh and how well they can carry that weight.

All things being equal, who is more likely to become an outstanding offensive tackle? (answer later on)

Look at Maybin's body. Look at the diameter of his wrists, his elbows...when people say he looks like a wide receiver, this is what they are seeing. IMO, Jason Taylor looks like he has bigger bones than Maybin, even though both of them are muscularly svelte.

At the lower levels of athletics, bone dimensions might not be as important but in competitive sports populated by elite athletes (ie-the NFL), I think bone size, density, length, etc. are all factors in the success of an athlete. For instance, long arms are good, until they become so long as to limit strength.

When I first went down to Singers Gym in downtown Buffalo to learn how to box, the first thing the late trainer, Johnny Sudac wanted to see was the size of my fists.

So I think you are all starting to see where I'm coming from. To me it is clear that Maybin does not have a defensive end's body. So like everyone else, WTF was Jauron and company thinking? I'm not sure Maybin has a rushbackers body either. Many people (who have no clue what they're talking about) have invoked the name Dwight Freeney when arguing that Maybin could be successful. Freeney? Six foot one inch, 270 pound Dwight Freeney? Anyone who has seen Elvis Dumervil play knows that he also has a very low center of gravity and a formidable BULL RUSH. Fred Dean was an outstanding and undersized pass rusher (6'3 230 lbs, 93 career sacks) who also had a power component to his game. LT, DeMarcus Ware, on and on.

Name for me 5 outstanding pass rushers who didn't have the ability to get the OT moving and then counter and push him into the quarterback? A pass rusher needs to be able to bull rush, even if it isn't his primary weapon.

Now look at Maybin. As they say in the trades, "he has no ass." I can think of only a few pass rushers who relied totally on finesse. Simeon Rice, Jevon Kearse, maybe Jason Taylor. Almost every other outstanding pass rusher has a power component to their game.

What I'm saying is that Maybin may not have the bone structure, no matter how much he bulks up.

As far as his attempts to gain weight, he strikes me as a guy who has a hard time putting it on and KEEPING it on. It won't help if he's 250 on opening day and 235 at season's end. He doesn't look that different to me from the pictures of him from last April when he had his much ballyhooed weight gain.

bravo

Sacks, tackles at the line of scrimage instead of five yards beyond, covering backs out of the backfield and some running backs. Everything else doesn't mean much.

Wilfork bottles up the middle so it is tough to run, gets a big push to prevent stepping up in the pocket and he does not look like he is in good shape at all and there is not one of us who would not trade him for Maybin.

I am just hoping that part of his off season conditioning includes weakly pass defense work.....

OLB's have to do that to on occasion

Really? I saw a lot of Cowboys games and never saw Demarcus Ware drop in coverage.... If Maybin is anything close to Ware the pick will look solid.

it's not gonna matter how much he weighs if he is allowed/taught to blow by guys off the edge.

and what do you guys want. he's proving he's putting in work. rather him giving the effort to get bigger/better then just being ignorant and believing what ever he was doing before will work again.

liar

liar

No, I forgot. The size 18 foot is Bryant McKinnie.

The size 12 foot is former Bills tackle Mike Williams.

My friend the osteology student says that Williams' relatively small foot to body size is unusual and may hinder his movement as well as contributing to foot injuries.

Or maybe he was just a college sophmore that needed to work on his technique and grow into his body?

Just sayin

Am I the only one who thinks posting a shirtless photo of yourself after a workout at Golds makes you a tool? Seems like something those D-bags on the Jersey Shore would do

No, there are a few others like you. Despite the fact that there is obviously a huge amount of curiosity about his physical progress. How many of those Jersey Shore D-bags end up with their photos on message boards in like two minutes?