If Roethlisberger was black

Race a factor on the coverage  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Race a factor on the coverage

• Yes
    • No

if Kobe has a second event , it would 24 hour media coverage. This big ben thing is a joke , two times and it is getting brushed aside again .

I've been listening to espn radio all day and it has been a big topic of conversation. It is also one of their lead stories when they do their sports news breaks. I'm not really sure what you are talking about

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many did not. Talk to most sportswriters, and the only part of the Tiger story they care about is how soon he's coming back. National Enquirer, TMZ and the rest can have their own fun with the rest of it.

Wow...not really. While you and some colleagues may have not personally liked the coverage, how many sports sections covered the entire ordeal, including the salacious parts? The overwhelming majority.

Not suprisingly espn/espnradio is not really reporting this story or trying to downplay it.

If he was black, ESPN/ESPN Radio, along with Nancy Grace and others, would have him tried and convicted by now.

Two-Time Super Bowl winner accused of rape for the 2nd time!!!

WTF!! If he was black - espn and other networks, would break into coverage of whatever is being showing on all their networks - and talk about nothing but this for the next year.

It is all over the news, and he hasnt even been charged. Next time I go for a job interview, and dont get it because they had to hire a minority, I will make sure I post it here. This is not the place for this crap. We are all Americans get over it. Do the right thing in this country, typically you dont get messed with. Do the wrong thing and you open yourself up to alot of problems no matter what race you are.

Wow...not really. While you and some colleagues may have not personally liked the coverage, how many sports sections covered the entire ordeal, including the salacious parts? The overwhelming majority.

Most of the papers I read no longer have dedicated golf writers (if they ever did), so any coverage would have been via AP wire stories. Somehow I doubt Doug Ferguson provided much in the way of salacious detail.

Lets not get into semantics - that makes Els more African than Tiger, not more black. Tiger is a quarter Black. Period.

Tiger should simply be eliminated from this "black" conversation, b/c he's an extremely mixed individual to begin with, and black is hardly his dominant race.

The OP was specifically discussing blacks..not Asians, not hispanics, or "others".

You can't really be this ignorant, can you? His father was black and his mother is of asian descent. When you split the two you get 1/2 not 1/4. I'm an extremely mixed individual myself, but on every form I fill out I circle in black not '"extremely mixed" or "each of the above"

You can't really be this ignorant, can you? His father was black and his mother is of asian descent. When you split the two you get 1/2 not 1/4. I'm an extremely mixed individual myself, but on every form I fill out I circle in black not '"extremely mixed" or "each of the above"

Look, I'm not taking sides in this fight because frankly, I don't care, but according to Tiger himself, he's a "cablinasian," and his father is not 100% black, and his mother is not 100% asian. As I understand it, the various contributors to Tiger's race, as if if even possibly could matter, are: Caucasian, Black (or African American, depending on what is the popularly accepted term in your area), Indian (or Native American, or Amerind, depending on what is the popularly accepted term in your area), and Asian.

And no matter what, "Big Ben" is not going to get a break because of his race. There's either evidence, or there isn't; I doubt some prosecutor is going to press a case without it. (They didn't with Irvin, and he looked ok at the end of the day, because he was innocent. They did with the Duke kids, and well, prosecutor isn't exactly practicing law anymore. Sux for the whities sometimes, too.)

Love how folks try to turn the actions of one individual into a race war :lol:

I know this is "politically sensitive" thread, but no offense here when I call the OP a retard

*Edit, let me rephrase. No offense to anyone that might take offense to the term retard. Offense intended to the OP

I do think race is an issue because Ben's actions, according to witnesses, were aggressive. And I think if a black player did this it would have been getting more aggressive media coverage.

I think the tame media coverage comes from the fact that black males commit more violent crime then white males. So maybe the media coverage is different from that perspective. Ben is white and the media doesn't know what to make of the case yet.

I do think race is an issue because Ben's actions, according to witnesses, were aggressive. And I think if a black player did this it would have been getting more aggressive media coverage.

I think the tame media coverage comes from the fact that black males commit more violent crime then white males. So maybe the media coverage is different from that perspective. Ben is white and the media doesn't know what to make of the case yet.

A quick check of Google shows 990 separate news articles on this subject.

Love how folks try to turn the actions of one individual into a race war :lol:

I know this is "politically sensitive" thread, but no offense here when I call the OP a retard

*Edit, let me rephrase. No offense to anyone that might take offense to the term retard. Offense intended to the OP

:thumbdown:

Awesome, dev. Just plain awesome!

Exposing The Double Standard In Sports Repoting

For the second time in a year, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is being accused of rape. Raider head coach Tom Cable allegedly broke an assistant's jaw and was accused of assault. He is now being sued by the assistant. Patriots head coach Bill Belicheck illegally taped other teams' signals during practice.

NBA superstar Kobe Bryant accused of sexual assault. NBA superstar Allen Iverson allegedly threatened 2 men with a gun after throwing his wife out of his house naked (he denies this allegation, stating "I don't want nobody to see my wife naked, period. So what makes you think I'm gonna send her out the house for everybody to see her naked?"

Falcons superstar Michael Vick accused of running a dogfighting operation. Pacman Jones and Chris Henry (rest in peace) suspended for season due to numerous arrests despite no charges being filed. Gilbert Arenas accused of bringing unloaded guns to the stadium. Plaxico Burress shot himself in the legs and sentenced to 2 years in prison. Allen Iverson's wife files for divorce.

I am surprised at the relatively quiet press coverage for Roethlisberger. He's a pretty high-profiled guy with 2 Super Bowl victories already at age 28 and now have 2 sexual assault trials to boot. Interesting, the way the media is treating this issue is almost like Roethlisberger is some third string quarterback for the Detroit Lions.

Edited by Lori
copyrighted material

"Bama," unless your real name is Tyson C -- and I'm guessing it isn't, since his bio says he's from Canada, lives in L.A., and is a USC student -- please don't post copyrighted work in its entirety and without linking to the original source.

Thanks,

the management

Big Ben has charges pressed against him for the first accusation BUT the media and ESPN seem to push that aside.

ALSO, This Second Accusation happened on Thursday Night, and the girl went right to the police... One Friday Morning only 1 Media Outlet published it. ESPN sat back and hid it until it finally reported Last Night because of other media talking about it. Last Night when ESPN first reported they DOWNPLAYED the whole thing and refuting the other media reports.

He has been accused TWICE in less than a year, In completely different locations. And nothing has been down about him at all.

I am a white male, And I completely agree with the thread. Race is 100% a factor in what stories like this are talked about. Anyone that thinks racism isn't an issue is extremely delusional. Of course there are white athletes that get punished BUT they don't get the media bashing like black athletes do. ESPN has stated plenty of times they expect a big apology from guys like Tiger Woods and Barry Bonds and Kobe Bryant (When his issue happened) then they say Mark McGwire doesn't need to apologize and they completely downplay the Big Ben stories. Like last year when the first accusation on Big Ben happened.. ESPN refused to talk about for like 2 days

I don't care if you are pink, you are an idiot! For every black person who gets stabbed by the media I can come back and give you the name of a white individual who had the same thing happen. I rarely ever hear a white person cry racism but I hear it all the time by blacks. I at least give you credit for sticking up for the black folks but you are wrong. When that foolish "white" radio broadcaster made fun of the Rutgers womens basketball team he got slammed and that story lasted for what seemed like months. Hey, he was a jerk and he deserved what he got. BUT, I'm not going to get on a chat line and say "Well why do the whites always get harrassed and not the blacks"? There is a high percentage of blacks who just look for ways that they could cry racism. I'm tired of hearing it. Why are so many blacks always looking for ways to divide the people and cause problems? Bill Cosby knows what I'm talking about...

"Bama," unless your real name is Tyson C -- and I'm guessing it isn't, since his bio says he's from Canada, lives in L.A., and is a USC student -- please don't post copyrighted work in its entirety and without linking to the original source.

Thanks,

the management

I could swore I put the link in. Honest mistake.

apologies

Not suprisingly espn/espnradio is not really reporting this story or trying to downplay it.

If he was black, ESPN/ESPN Radio, along with Nancy Grace and others, would have him tried and convicted by now.

Two-Time Super Bowl winner accused of rape for the 2nd time!!!

WTF!! If he was black - espn and other networks, would break into coverage of whatever is being showing on all their networks - and talk about nothing but this for the next year.

What if he was Chinese or Korean?