If Roethlisberger was black

Race a factor on the coverage  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Race a factor on the coverage

• Yes
    • No

You did a good job of selecting your examples, but here goes:

Tiger & Kobe: The biggest stars in their sports. Tiger, by FAR the biggest star in his. So, they're bigger stories.

McGwire/Clemens/Bonds: First, McGwire avoided the question, but did not lie. Second, Clemens hasn't escaped trouble yet. Third, Bonds is a prize a88hole, and sometimes that comes back to bite you. (So is Clemens, which probably is why he hasn't escaped trouble yet.)

Here's some counterexamples: the Duke lacrosse players versus Michael Irvin. Jesse Jackson versus Jim Bakker or Gary Hart. Craig MacTavish versus Leonard Little or Donte Stallworth.

It's not always about race. With sports, especially, I think the field is more level, compared to other areas of endeavor.

I agree on most counts.

Clemens has escaped or the Feds would have moved by now.

Regarding Bonds being an a..hole is not criminal. It only comes back to bite when people want to get you.

Micheal Irvin had a prior history unlike the Duke lacrosse team.

But you are correct. The field is more level in sports.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not suprisingly espn/espnradio is not really reporting this story or trying to downplay it.

If he was black, ESPN/ESPN Radio, along with Nancy Grace and others, would have him tried and convicted by now.

Two-Time Super Bowl winner accused of rape for the 2nd time!!!

WTF!! If he was black - espn and other networks, would break into coverage of whatever is being showing on all their networks - and talk about nothing but this for the next year.

Yeah, and if OJ was white he'd be serving time in California for a double homicide!

There is a clear double standard in sports based on race. Why do people have such a hard time admitting it.

Why does Tiger have to apologize on TV for marital problems.

How many white golfers have done this...I'm sure some of them have had marital issues.

Kobe was slammed due to his Denver outing..maybe rightly so.

Roger Clements lied to the grand jury no problem.

Mark McGwire lies by not telling the truth...no problem.

There were eyewitnesses in both cases.

Barry Bonds gets indicted without the same amount of evidence and faces jail time.

They just can't find an eyewitness unlike McGwire and Clements.

In Ben's defense until charges are pressed these are mere allegations thet anyone can make

like the Duke lacrosse team.

People do play on perception and history. Until charges are pressed I won't take it to serious.

clemens is still facing indictments. big mac is not getting into the HOF so thats his punishment. bonds lied to the grand jury which is illegal. the girl in colorado pressed charges to go after kobe so thats why it became a sensation. if this girl presses charges against big ben then this will get just as much publicity.

I don't recall asking Tiger to apologize for anything. That little dog-and-pony show was his PR department's idea. And not a very good one, either: http://blogs.forbes.com/sportsmoney/2010/0...stumbles-again/

No you didn't Lori, but many of your cohorts in the media (Fox News, ESPN, The Insider, etc.) all felt that Tiger Woods owed them and his fans an apology. Also for Aristocrat, the first woman that alledgedly was raped by Ben has a pending lawsuit against him. Let's be real folks, race is a big wart in American History that just won't go away.

clemens is still facing indictments. big mac is not getting into the HOF so thats his punishment. bonds lied to the grand jury which is illegal. the girl in colorado pressed charges to go after kobe so thats why it became a sensation. if this girl presses charges against big ben then this will get just as much publicity.

Big Ben has charges pressed against him for the first accusation BUT the media and ESPN seem to push that aside.

ALSO, This Second Accusation happened on Thursday Night, and the girl went right to the police... One Friday Morning only 1 Media Outlet published it. ESPN sat back and hid it until it finally reported Last Night because of other media talking about it. Last Night when ESPN first reported they DOWNPLAYED the whole thing and refuting the other media reports.

He has been accused TWICE in less than a year, In completely different locations. And nothing has been down about him at all.

I am a white male, And I completely agree with the thread. Race is 100% a factor in what stories like this are talked about. Anyone that thinks racism isn't an issue is extremely delusional. Of course there are white athletes that get punished BUT they don't get the media bashing like black athletes do. ESPN has stated plenty of times they expect a big apology from guys like Tiger Woods and Barry Bonds and Kobe Bryant (When his issue happened) then they say Mark McGwire doesn't need to apologize and they completely downplay the Big Ben stories. Like last year when the first accusation on Big Ben happened.. ESPN refused to talk about for like 2 days

Tiger Woods?

Really? That is your example of racism?

A half black, half Asian billionaire who is one of the most famous people in the world?

Kim Kardashian has more black in her.

There is plenty of real racism around.

Don't try so hard.

Being Black or Asian is still considered a minority in White America/G.O.P. just ask Rush Limbaugh. And if Ms. Kardashian wants more black in her she can contact me.

Not suprisingly espn/espnradio is not really reporting this story or trying to downplay it.

If he was black, ESPN/ESPN Radio, along with Nancy Grace and others, would have him tried and convicted by now.

WTF!! If he was black - espn and other networks, would break into coverage of whatever is being showing on all their networks - and talk about nothing but this for the next year.

1. the other woman has him in a civil suit - NOT criminal

2. criminal charges haven't even been FILED yet int his case, and probably won't be.

What exactly do you want them to convict him on? You, my friend, are probably the biggest bigot/racist of them all..so STFU with your pathetic drivel.

i watched espnews for less then 30 mins last night and they mentioned ben and this new accusation 5 times with it constantly running on the bottom line as well so get a clue before you cry racism

if he was black, how about if he was charged or if he was found guilty

i know this may come as a surpise to people like you but not everything is about race so stop trying to make it so

I bet you think OJ didnt kill those people too

No you didn't Lori, but many of your cohorts in the media (Fox News, ESPN, The Insider, etc.) all felt that Tiger Woods owed them and his fans an apology. Also for Aristocrat, the first woman that alledgedly was raped by Ben has a pending lawsuit against him. Let's be real folks, race is a big wart in American History that just won't go away.

Many did not. Talk to most sportswriters, and the only part of the Tiger story they care about is how soon he's coming back. National Enquirer, TMZ and the rest can have their own fun with the rest of it.

Many did not. Talk to most sportswriters, and the only part of the Tiger story they care about is how soon he's coming back. National Enquirer, TMZ and the rest can have their own fun with the rest of it.

thats a lie, many of the ESPN reporters during the shows have called for Tiger Woods apology. Skip Bayless, Jim Rome, Colin Cowherd, Scott Van Pelt, Mike Tirico and Andy North to name the ones on the ESPN staff I have heard directly that have called for Tiger Woods to apologize. Its not just TMZ and National Enquirer

thats a lie, many of the ESPN reporters during the shows have called for Tiger Woods apology. Skip Bayless, Jim Rome, Colin Cowherd, Scott Van Pelt, Mike Tirico and Andy North to name the ones on the ESPN staff I have heard directly that have called for Tiger Woods to apologize. Its not just TMZ and National Enquirer

No, but it's ESPN which is inching closer and closer to TMZ by the day. Did you watch yesterday? A full slate of basketball and hockey games, and all that "the worldwide leader in sports" could manage to talk about was Brett Favre making a meaningless comment on Jay Leno. Oh and there was quite a bit on "bracketology".

I really gotta stop watching that ish.

No, but it's ESPN which is inching closer and closer to TMZ by the day. Did you watch yesterday? A full slate of basketball and hockey games, and all that "the worldwide leader in sports" could manage to talk about was Brett Favre making a meaningless comment on Jay Leno. Oh and there was quite a bit on "bracketology".

I really gotta stop watching that ish.

Exactly.. ESPN is pathetic... AND EXTREMELY BIASED.

First of all, Tiger Woods is only a quarter African American..so you can take that theory and throw it out the window. Thanks. :wallbash:

Which of the names you listed are sportswriters? Bayless is the only one who comes close. The others are radio/TV foofs.

Add: And while the TV guys salivated over their live broadcast, the Golf Writers Association boycotted it.

Exactly.. ESPN is pathetic... AND EXTREMELY BIASED.

I don't doubt that. But my point was that you shouldn't paint the entire American sports media with such a broad stroke if your primary exposure to said media is ESPN. Based on the names you gave, that would seem to be the case.

It'd be like condemning all journalists by watching MSNBC and Fox News.

First of all, Tiger Woods is only a quarter African American..so you can take that theory and throw it out the window. Thanks. :wallbash:

That's his ethnicity, not his race. I believe that Ernie Els is a dual citizen in South Africa and the US. So he's 100% African American. Does that make him more black than Tiger?

I don't doubt that. But my point was that you shouldn't paint the entire American sports media with such a broad stroke if your primary exposure to said media is ESPN. Based on the names you gave, that would seem to be the case.

It'd be like condemning all journalists by watching MSNBC and Fox News.

Thank you. Skip Bayless' reality is not mine.